Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

100m is not too much if he has the chance to become our Keane/Vieira/Essien.

Arguably the most important position on the field.

Aye, chuck Maddison alongside him as well £150 million well spent.

On 14/04/2023 at 10:35, Milanista said:

Brozovic from Inter could be gotten for very cheap, especially if Inter don't get CL football, as they are in financial crisis, and everyone knows it--so buyers are waiting for their owner to admit defeat before putting in bids. It could be a fire-sale there. Brozovic is one of the most underrated CDMs in the world.

I think there's a big cultural difference between Italy and England how players like him are viewed by both fans and clubs. Italians see a really good mature player who'll be useful for couple of seasons, the English see he's +30 and cross his name from the list due to being only a short term fix with no resale value. Maybe Casemiro being such a huge hit will change the mentality of some clubs in England too.

Edited by Pata

Could probably buy foreign players who are just as good but having a core of an England team also gives a lot of sway with the FA.

Being influential off the pitch is nearly as important as having success on it.

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

I think there's a big cultural difference between Italy and England how players like him are viewed by both fans and clubs. Italians see a really good mature player who'll be useful for couple of seasons, the English see he's +30 and cross his name from the list due to being only a short term fix with no resale value. Maybe Casemiro being such a huge hit will change the mentality of some clubs in England too.

The reverse was true in the ‘90s - it’s less a cultural difference, and more a financial one.  There’s a lot more money in English football today, so the financial risk of a bad signing is greater.  This was also the case in the ‘90s when the money league was Serie A.  

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The reverse was true in the ‘90s - it’s less a cultural difference, and more a financial one.  There’s a lot more money in English football today, so the financial risk of a bad signing is greater.  This was also the case in the ‘90s when the money league was Serie A.  

You could be right but I'm not sure if I agree on the level of financial risk, feel like signing a 30 year old Brozovic for £15-20m is less of a risk than £50m on some kid from Ligue 1, Bundesliga or Eredivisie.

Edited by Pata

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

You could be right but I'm not sure if I agree on the level of financial risk, feel like signing a 30 year old Brozovic for £15-20m is less of a risk than £50m on some kid from Ligue 1, Bundesliga or Eredivisie.

I agree with you :) - but I get the distinct impression the PL money men don’t 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I agree with you :) - but I get the distinct impression the PL money men don’t 

And that is why I suggested it to be a cultural difference. ;)

I hope we look at a proper old head (pref one who’s played tons of European football) to rotate into the midfield - matches like today where I feel we lack a bit of leadership / accountability. Outside of Trippier I think we sometimes lack that. Wilson has it imo. 

We could have done with a bigger presence in midfield like Declan Rice yesterday. Then again, so could have Arsenal in the second half at Anfield last week.

Before the games, I wouldn't have thought us or them could be overrun that badly.

5 minutes ago, Stottie said:

We could have done with a bigger presence in midfield like Declan Rice yesterday. Then again, so could have Arsenal in the second half at Anfield last week.

Before the games, I wouldn't have thought us or them could be overrun that badly.

Well I suppose that’s the great thing about being completely exposed in a game. It really lets you know where your weaknesses are

100%. We need goals and assists from there. The wingers in a 4-3-3 are basically forwards and in some teams can produce numbers in excess of the central striker. Miggy has basically done that for us this season, but it’s at such a low level and more down to us not having a settled in-form striker all season.

I’d ideally like someone who could play up top if needed, too, so we’ve got something else behind Isak and Wilson in a worst case scenario. And someone with a bit of presence/nouse about him, too, as our current crop are extremely lightweight and not the most savvy.

If this mythical beast exists, I’m sure he’s on our radar. :lol:

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Does a top quality wide player need to be the priority this summer? I still see this as our weakest area in the starting 11.

Very much so.

None of our wide attackers are CL quality. ASM can be on his day, but can't stay fit and his performances aren't consistent enough.

Almiron went on a streak, but is so limited on the ball. Not good enough.

Murphy isn't good enough.

Gordon is unproven.

5 hours ago, Stottie said:

The thing is though, this was dished out by two teams who’s supporters lament their own lack of quality in midfield (Villa with the absence of Kamara).

Dendoncker & Luiz are not exactly freaks of nature.

5 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Very much so.

None of our wide attackers are CL quality. ASM can be on his day, but can't stay fit and his performances aren't consistent enough.

Almiron went on a streak, but is so limited on the ball. Not good enough.

Murphy isn't good enough.

Gordon is unproven.

ASM is like twice a season. Almiron will never have a run like he had at the start of the season ever again. Time to cash in on both of them this summer and sign better, more consistent players. I reckon we could squeeze a decent fee out of someone for Miggy, although it wouldn't be the end of the world if we retained him as a squad player if the right offer didn't come in.

I still think we need better players all over the pitch, rather than just in attack.

I could see the point of selling ASM, but flogging Miggy seems canny mad like. He’s a great hardworking winger and although his stats have been inflated this season he still knows where the goal is. He’s clearly a much more dangerous player than he was a year ago.

We need to upgrade him with someone genuinely world class and Maxi with someone who will play a whole season. Hopefully Howe can work his magic with Gordon over the summer.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I still think we need better players all over the pitch, rather than just in attack.

I agree with this. There isn't an area of the team that can't be improved. That's not to say that the current squad is doing badly at all, but several players are performing to their limit, and could be upgraded for the general benefit of the team. 

We only have one player in Isak who is a regular starter for their national side. We're doing well because Eddie is squeezing the max out of each individual.

We force the ball into dangerous positions really well, so naturally players who are lethal in the final third will improve us to no end (theoretically). Obviously we can benefit from improving any player, but since Howe has arrived it's been pretty jarring how toothless whatever front three we put out are. Our midfield and defence have largely been dominant.

Edited by Hanshithispantz