Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest neesy111

That injury and Fergie turning him into a midfielder is what ruined him.  Best performance for us was in a 1-1 home draw v Arsenal, despite playing his back to goal for the whole game.

Guest neesy111

Scored on his debut in a friendly against Sampdoria iirc then never scored again for us

He was made caretaker manager at Notts County this week

Yes, that was an I was there moment.  Good header as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Michael Owen. As if there's even any real contest.

I'm speaking purely in terms of talent, here.

Sorry, I was responding to Nobody and forgot to quote. I agree though, I'm finding it difficult to think of anyone worse who played regularly. There are players like Amdy Faye, Mike Hooper, Matty Pattison, Stephen Carr, Boumsong and Nicky Butt who all ran him fairly close mind, if for shorter amounts of time. Give Colback a couple of years and the hate will be at the same level probably, not that I think he has a chance of that providing Rafa's here. 

Guest firetotheworks

Correct. He was acceptable at Man U, until Risse from Liverpool managed to shatter his leg with a shot. He never recovered and NUFC bought the damaged goods, as per usual in that era of the club.

I dunno if this is a really niche joke about how Lawrenson kept insisting that that's what happened (when it was clearly his other leg) or not. :lol:

Wasn't Smith just an average forward overhyped to death becuase Leeds did fairly well at the time. Viduka was better and he was hardly a worldbeater.

Like turning Kevin Doyle into a defensive midfielder and being surprised when he turns out to be the worst footballer ever.

Aye, I know Colback's shit but people saying he's the worst player they've ever seen for us is to forget Alan Smith.

I preferred Smith tbh, he was a dreadful player but at least he looked like he wanted to win.

Michael Owen. As if there's even any real contest.

I'm speaking purely in terms of talent, here.

Sorry, I was responding to Nobody and forgot to quote. I agree though, I'm finding it difficult to think of anyone worse who played regularly. There are players like Amdy Faye, Mike Hooper, Matty Pattison, Stephen Carr, Boumsong and Nicky Butt who all ran him fairly close mind, if for shorter amounts of time. Give Colback a couple of years and the hate will be at the same level probably, not that I think he has a chance of that providing Rafa's here. 

Owen at least scored some goals for us. Aye, he cost more and was a captain that couldn't give less of a fuck about us, still hate Smith's faux hard worker bull shit more though.

The only reason I hated Owen was that he didn't want to be here and was always pining for the Liverpool shirt which he gave up himself when he thought the glory days were over. Other than that, there was no doubting his talent. The little fucking shit.

Guest firetotheworks

The only reason I hated Owen was that he didn't want to be here and was always pining for the Liverpool shirt which he gave up himself when he thought the glory days were over. Other than that, there was no doubting his talent. The little fucking shit.

Disagree with that like, with us at least. In 08/09 he was pitiful and spineless. I'll never forget that one on one vs Portsmouth and him trickling it straight at David James. For me Owen was a good finisher with incredible pace. Once that pace went he was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary and had nothing but finishing to offer. I'm bias like, I've always preferred slow, skillful. intelligent players, over fast players who don't really need to think beyond 'run fast'

Disagree with that like, with us at least. In 08/09 he was pitiful and spineless. One on one vs Portsmouth and he hits it straight at David James. Owen was a good finisher with incredible pace. Once that pace went he was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

He was still a good finisher, I just felt he didn't put the effort in during the final season after Keegan's efforts to get him a new contract were stonewalled.

Owen is the worst. Smith was an inferior player by a long way but Owen is the worst.

Didn't see that much football when Smith was playing (there's a joke in there somewhere!) but was he worse than Des Hamilton? Or for that matter Marcelino? Though neither of them actually played that much (Smith played four times as many games) they both drove me mad. Or what about Billy Askew? Even fewer appearances, but similarly head-scratching levels of shitness.