Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

More wisdom from Garth

Call me old fashioned, but I simply can't come to terms with central defenders who wear gloves. As a consequence, I have always tended to distrust Otamendi. It is a totally irrational position to hold as his mittens can't possibly determine how well he defends a corner. In any case I may have to revise my stance based on how well he defended against Arsenal in the second half.

More impressive that he's picked Kolarov and Otamendi has best centre backs of the weekend despite them being absolutely atrocious y'day.

Guest firetotheworks

More wisdom from Garth

Call me old fashioned, but I simply can't come to terms with central defenders who wear gloves. As a consequence, I have always tended to distrust Otamendi. It is a totally irrational position to hold as his mittens can't possibly determine how well he defends a corner. In any case I may have to revise my stance based on how well he defended against Arsenal in the second half.

More impressive that he's picked Kolarov and Otamendi has best centre backs of the weekend despite them being absolutely atrocious y'day.

I like to think that he had that all typed out as one of those drunken epiphanies you have where you're think you're being mega insightful, then wake up to a piece of paper with 'gLOVEs' scrawled across it.

Vardy appeal rejected. Ridiculous.

Agreed. Terrible decision in the first place, made even terrible-er now.

Football needs logical people running incident reviews... One of the reasons this video refereeing worries me is because we'll just see so many more soft fouls, bans, cards.

Guest firetotheworks

The rules are wrong in this instance, but he was correctly sent off based on the rules. I dunno why everyone's so surprised. Whether he got the ball or not, two feet and it's a red card, it's that simple.

If Celtic win tonight they go 14 points clear of 2nd and 21 points clear of 3rd!

Fucking pointless league the SPL. Celtic aren't even any good anymore, in years gone by they had a squad which you could argue could be an average Premier league team, now I would honestly say that our team is better than Celtics and if we were in the SPL we would be quite a few points clear of Celtic.

Scotland needs someone to come in and buy either Aberdeen, or one of the Dundee or Edinburgh clubs to shake things up.

The rules are wrong in this instance, but he was correctly sent off based on the rules. I dunno why everyone's so surprised. Whether he got the ball or not, two feet and it's a red card, it's that simple.

Does the rule actually state two feet of the ground is an automatic red? Genuine question, don't know.

Either way it's an absolute embarrassment.

If Celtic win tonight they go 14 points clear of 2nd and 21 points clear of 3rd!

Fucking pointless league the SPL. Celtic aren't even any good anymore, in years gone by they had a squad which you could argue could be an average Premier league team, now I would honestly say that our team is better than Celtics and if we were in the SPL we would be quite a few points clear of Celtic.

Scotland needs someone to come in and buy either Aberdeen, or one of the Dundee or Edinburgh clubs to shake things up.

Almost like you can't bankroll teams anymore up there without reprise (see Rangers, Glasgow) in Europe and that there is no money in the SPL compared to the PL.

See also Eredivise, Belgium, Eastern Europe.

Guest firetotheworks

Does the rule actually state two feet of the ground is an automatic red? Genuine question, don't know.

Yeah. I imagine Vardy's comes under the first one then under one of careless, reckless or excessive force.

Slide tackles that are made as two-footed lunges at an opponent are generally considered to endanger the safety of an opponent and are hence sanctioned as serious foul play, resulting in a sending-off. This is still the case even if the ball is won cleanly without touching an opponent.

Careless means that the player has shown a lack of attention of consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution. Reckless means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent. Using excessive force means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring an opponent.

Agreed. Re-watched it another 5 times, and there's no way that is a red card :lol: I'm a softie and think most things are red, but that's not even a dangerous play.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think it's serious foul play, but by the rules it's canny obvious that the ref went correctly by the book. It's the rule that needs to be amended, even if it's just to allow for a referee's discretion.

Yeah. I imagine Vardy's comes under the first one then under one of careless, reckless or excessive force.

Slide tackles that are made as two-footed lunges at an opponent are generally considered to endanger the safety of an opponent and are hence sanctioned as serious foul play, resulting in a sending-off. This is still the case even if the ball is won cleanly without touching an opponent.

Careless means that the player has shown a lack of attention of consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution. Reckless means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent. Using excessive force means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring an opponent.

:thup: Would be nice if the FA could apply some common sense like. Pure shock when our two were overturned.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm still canny amazed that Shelvey's was overturned tbh, it was definitely within the realms of a red card and I've never seen one like that overturned before.

Almost like you can't bankroll teams anymore up there without reprise (see Rangers, Glasgow) in Europe and that there is no money in the SPL compared to the PL.

See also Eredivise, Belgium, Eastern Europe.

The thing is you could build one of the teams I mentioned organically (to a lesser extent with the Dundee clubs). As soon as you start building decent stadiums and getting average players on not big wages (but bigger than they can afford now) you'll soon have them near the top of the league and getting into Europe. Soon enough your squad will be better than that of Celtic and you can challenge for the league, certainly the cups. Ok the money isn't as good as it is in the Premier League, but your chance of success is far greater, and the money over time from European football and increased demand should start to see one of those clubs be self sufficient and competitive.

If someone really wants to build a legacy then one of those being invested in could build a legacy not only for the football club, but for the whole of Scottish football.