Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

He's absolutely class, but never the GOAT in the Premier League. He does his job brilliantly but (and I'm probably not going to explain this that well) the gulf in class between City and the rest of the league which has been in play for some time means his accomplishments are almost just about what you'd expect from him. He's never had the 'wow' factor that players like Henry and Ronaldo had, or even the raw goalscoring instincts of Shearer. Aguero is probably up there (or maybe just above) with players like Rooney/van Nistlerooy for me.

Guest firetotheworks

His goalscoring record is obscene, I'm not sure what else people from him. His game is goals, and that's what he constantly delivers. He's absolutely a PL all time great.

Probably because there have been absolutely loads and loads of players who've done the goalscoring bit that he can do (at least to an extent) but there aren't that many that go way beyond goal contribution. If you were looking for more of an out-and-out goalscorer he'd be 'in the conversation' and all that but there are so many other players who are either also in that conversation as more out and out goalscorers (with the likes of RVN, Cole, Wright etc) before you even get onto the likes of Shearer and Henry who had great numbers, contributed more, have the longevity (that the likes of Suarez, Kane, or Salah don't have - all of whom are better players than Aguero imo) and did so in (at least definitely in Shearer's case) inferior teams. It's not really that I think he's overrated because I don't think he's a great player, it's more that there are just absolutely shit loads of better alternatives to choose from.

That's a lot of brackets.

Guest neesy111

Imagine how many hatricks Shearer would have scored in that Man City team

The thing is, shearer only scored 2 pl hat tricks for us iirc.  That shows how far ahead he was with his form at Blackburn.

Guest firetotheworks

Any excuse to bring up one of my favourite Messi stats - 9 hat-tricks in 2012 alone with just the 31 in La Liga in total. :lol: Mere mortals Shearer with 11 in 14 years and Aguero with 11 in 8 years.

I prefer Drogba over Aguero.

Drogba was great but I was surprised that he only scored more than 12 goals in 2 PL seasons

He was never one of the greatest goal scorers despite playing for a very good Chelsea team, but probably the best I have seen in the lone striker role.

His goalscoring record is obscene, I'm not sure what else people from him. His game is goals, and that's what he constantly delivers. He's absolutely a PL all time great.

Probably because there have been absolutely loads and loads of players who've done the goalscoring bit that he can do (at least to an extent) but there aren't that many that go way beyond goal contribution. If you were looking for more of an out-and-out goalscorer he'd be 'in the conversation' and all that but there are so many other players who are either also in that conversation as more out and out goalscorers (with the likes of RVN, Cole, Wright etc) before you even get onto the likes of Shearer and Henry who had great numbers, contributed more, have the longevity (that the likes of Suarez, Kane, or Salah don't have - all of whom are better players than Aguero imo) and did so in (at least definitely in Shearer's case) inferior teams. It's not really that I think he's overrated because I don't think he's a great player, it's more that there are just absolutely shit loads of better alternatives to choose from.

There are a lots of people who have done the goal scoring thing, not loads and loads and definitely not loads as consistently and well as Aguero have so I basically stopped reading after the first line

Guest firetotheworks

Probably because there have been absolutely loads and loads of players who've done the goalscoring bit that he can do (at least to an extent) but there aren't that many that go way beyond goal contribution. If you were looking for more of an out-and-out goalscorer he'd be 'in the conversation' and all that but there are so many other players who are either also in that conversation as more out and out goalscorers (with the likes of RVN, Cole, Wright etc) before you even get onto the likes of Shearer and Henry who had great numbers, contributed more, have the longevity (that the likes of Suarez, Kane, or Salah don't have - all of whom are better players than Aguero imo) and did so in (at least definitely in Shearer's case) inferior teams. It's not really that I think he's overrated because I don't think he's a great player, it's more that there are just absolutely s*** loads of better alternatives to choose from.

There are a lots of people who have done the goal scoring thing, not loads and loads and definitely not loads as consistently and well as Aguero have so I basically stopped reading after the first line

One for the memoirs.

Gotta say I'm surprised people are bracketing him with van Nistelrooy, Cole and Rooney - he's light years ahead of all three for mine. KI makes some interesting points but Kane better than Aguero is tough to swallow and makes reading the rest difficult.

Guest chicken little

Gotta say I'm surprised people are bracketing him with van Nistelrooy [...]

i actually think the van nistelrooy comparison is an interesting one, being as they were both pure goalscorers. i think van nistelrooy might be hard done by on account of his only having had five years at man united, but in that time he was scoring 2-in-3, comparable to agüero.

Guest chicken little

oh aye, but i'd at least put him in the conversation, whereas i wouldn't rooney (very much a different kind of player) and cole (very good record, yet somehow couldn't manage 20 league goals in a season during eight years at man united when they were winning everything).

Gotta say I'm surprised people are bracketing him with van Nistelrooy [...]

i actually think the van nistelrooy comparison is an interesting one, being as they were both pure goalscorers. i think van nistelrooy might be hard done by on account of his only having had five years at man united, but in that time he was scoring 2-in-3, comparable to agüero.

Goes to what KI was saying about Suarez and Salah - great players who didn't play in the league long enough to really push their case. Same applies to Cronaldo

Guest firetotheworks

Man, watching Premier League Goals or whatever, I reckon we're quick to forget how ridiculously good Suarez was in his brief time here. He's an absolute panto villain and all that, but some of his goals were outrageous, he was an absolute magician, albeit one you overheard being a racist on their tab break that they then put out on a child's forehead.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not worthy of a poll: is Sergio Agüero the PL GOAT?

I think I'm in the minority that thinks he's canny overrated tbh. His goalscoring numbers are really good, but he's not a player who does anything beyond goalscoring that really wows me, like.

Long post alert...

I think Aguero is actually underrated as a footballer in terms of his all-round game and all the other attributes he possess outside of his goal scoring ability, here in England and on the international stage. He’s a level above Salah for example for me and at the same level as Harry Kane is right now and maybe just maybe, that little bit better. He’s the best player in the league at current and is one of the best of all-time.

I think he’s up there with the likes of Shearer, Henry, Suarez, van Nistelrooy et al, the great great strikers of the past in terms of the Premier League and internationally he’s up there with past greats like Ronaldo, Batistuta etc. as well. I’m not saying he is better or as good, but he belongs to that level of player going back. He’s definitely equal to or above anyone else out there right now who is not named Messi or Ronaldo, anyway. IMO that is.

I think he’s so good he’d excel at a Newcastle United under Rafa for example, or Arsenal under Emery, or Man Utd under Mourinho even, or Barcelona or Liverpool. Any team really. Any league.

Forget about the goals for a moment, of course he’s a machine and capable of scoring from nothing which makes him deadly in front of goal at all times, inside the box or outside, marked or unmarked.

In that regard, he almost guarantees that when he gets a shot away the keeper is either forced into making a save or ends up picking the ball out of the back of the net, and frequently as well. Like I said he’s deadly. City’s all-time record top goal scorer and equal with our own Alan Shearer scoring a hat-trick 11 times and in fewer games/seasons. Albeit he’s predominantly played in a team that when not finishing first, finishes between that and 4th top with players of equal ability all-around him throughout his time in our game.

But goalscorimg aside, he’s equally just as competent and as good as a footballer which combined with his non football characteristics elevates him to a very high level very few can reach even if someone scores more goals than him and shares a few of his qualities or has certain qualities he lacks.

He doesn’t lack much, mind, not as much as others lack that’s for sure.

Take Jamie Vardy for example, he is deadly too, he’s a great finisher, world-class IMO and has been one of the best players in the country over the last few years, but he’s nowhere near as good a footballer as Aguero is or near the level he is at and never will be.

Of the two just as an example, Vardy has a poorer technique, less game intelligence when it comes to timing and decision making, a heavier touch when it comes to control, less variation of movement in certain areas of the pitch in space or when tightly marked both on and off the ball and a poorer understanding of what’s around, what’s on and what’s not on, and again on and off the ball, in different areas of the pitch and whichever team is in possession or the type of game being played from both sides.

Aguero can adapt to different tactics, positions, roles and oponents and still be effective whether he’s scoring goals or not or involved on the ball or in the final third or not.

Those higher levels of technique, skill, touch, vision, intelligence, awareness, understanding, movement and on and off the ball play allied together with his experience, his physical strength, his mobility, his turn of pace, that inner determination, that work-rate, that will to win, his fitness and energy levels during the 90 minutes and that single minded clinical mindset in front of goal are all tools he possesses together combined that he consistently demonstrates effectively and at a high level of standard. And he has done so from day one at City.

He’s a great player, world-class and one of the best the PL has seen and one of the best strikers of the last 25 years or so.

Marcelo’s comments on Bale came up during a wider chat about his friendships at Real Madrid.

"[i was also sad] with [the departure of] Kiko Casilla, who was sitting next to me. Every day I was saying, ‘How are you Kiko, how are you doing?’ and now I have no one next to me.

On the other side I have Bale, but Bale does not speak as he only speaks English and we talk with gestures and I say, ‘Hi, hello and good wine.’"

He's been there 6 years ffs :lol:

Marcelo’s comments on Bale came up during a wider chat about his friendships at Real Madrid.

"[i was also sad] with [the departure of] Kiko Casilla, who was sitting next to me. Every day I was saying, ‘How are you Kiko, how are you doing?’ and now I have no one next to me.

On the other side I have Bale, but Bale does not speak as he only speaks English and we talk with gestures and I say, ‘Hi, hello and good wine.’"

He's been there 6 years ffs :lol:

*Disco klaxon*