Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

2 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Murphy is utter utter dog turd and should be nowhere near this squad, no idea what Howe sees in him.

There's no one else. I'm sure Howe realises his massive limitations

Just now, 54 said:

On a serious note, I legitimately think the kits played a massive part in that, there where multiple occasion where both sides played it to the other team, at the start of the second half a Brighton player player a through ball to Trippier for instance.

Said the same to wor kid. How was that less of a kit clash than allowing us to play in our away kit ffs?

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No-one should be panicking, but the position in the table after some teams have played only once is utterly irrelevant 

Well It’s not is it? It’s a measure of the season up to now and the work done up to now. Four points from two games and third. How else are you going to measure it? We’ll be at least 6th after the rest of the games are played. Struggling to recall last time we were 6th. 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

We've all seen our points can cover bad performances, see Pardew 5th.

We're not at a stage of our development where by points are good enough if the occasional performance is sub par.

A few games last season we stole a result, that's a fact. So far this season, we've had a jog about against Forest and have been run ragged by a toothless but brilliantly coached Brighton.

I certainly have lots of faith, I really do. I want to see some evidence that we've pushed on from last season though.

And......there's 10,000s of pro players in the world. It can't be hard to find an upgrade for the money available. Nearly all other teams manage it. We must have set ourselves some ridiculously stringent criteria to not find an upgrade on someone who can't pass or shoot.

Pretty shat that.

But in perspective they'll be feeling blue that a rival for the top half has taken a point off them and is in the box seat

Think that's where were at - Brighton's level of bang midtableness. Few recruits could alter that.

*will never expect anything but a naff game there from now. Just got to accept it at this point. Every single one has been rank

Edited by Wolfcastle

Just now, 80 said:

Didn't see the game but sounds like we got a hiding despite the result. Disappointing. Can't really comment, but our (lack of) use of subs didn't sound inspiring?

Definitely wasn't a hiding but we were second best and you wouldn't have begrudged Brighton the win. 

2 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Murphy is utter utter dog turd and should be nowhere near this squad, no idea what Howe sees in him.

I agree Murphy is utter dog turd. What I do think Howe sees in him is that he is probably the only winger we have that can get down to the line and try to get the ball in. We desperatly need new wingers..

Just now, Yorkie said:

Definitely wasn't a hiding but we were second best and you wouldn't have begrudged Brighton the win. 

Sounds like it wouldn't have been rude if it finished 3-0 though?

Guest HTT II

I’ll take the point, a clean sheet and 4 points thus far is decent, but that was a piss poor performance, only Pope, Miggy and Burn looked remotely decent. Wilson was isolated again and Bruno did fuck all, by far his worst performance for us and Trippier looked awful, way off the pace. No attacking intent, no real possession and any kind of understanding at all between defence, midfield and attack. Again we play far too deep. We need some quality attacking players badly. We are going to be a tough team to beat as we have been under Howe, but we will struggle to score goals and we will be a team that will draw lots of games, sneak a win or lose narrowly unless we do add extra quality in attack.

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Well It’s not is it? It’s a measure of the season up to now and the work done up to now. Four points from two games and third. How else are you going to measure it? 

Honestly, you’re the first person I’ve ever seen actually point to the table not even two games in for all teams.  It is a complete irrelevance.  10 games is the usual benchmark

We’d have lost that before Howe. Brighton finished 9th last season. They’re a well drilled side. We lucked our way to a point today. Brighton we’re very unlucky not to win today. 

Today however, shows us just how far off the top 6 we are. Our attacking threat really isn’t good enough. Yep, ASM is great when he’s on form - but he hasn’t scored since Jan. Willock was hit and miss and we had a rare bad Bruno day. When Miggy is your beat attacking threat (bar Wilson) you know all you need to know. 

Defensively we look good. I really like Pope.

Back to the drawing board. 2 games unbeaten and 4 points. HTL!

Guest HTT II

Oh and Brighton are very similar to us. But they keep the ball better. No real attacking threat. We’ll battle it out for 10th maybe as things stand.

Expected a tough match and got one. Brighton are a very good side and are very well-coached. We had a number of understandable things contributing to a below par performance but we managed to get a point from the match. Very clearly we need better attacking options but we are a tough-minded team and we are mentally strong. I give Howe a lot of credit for turning us into a side with character. We would have lost that match under almost any other manager. 

And Nick Pope deserves huge plaudits, too. He earned us that point.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

Didn't see the game but sounds like we got a hiding despite the result. Disappointing. Can't really comment, but our (lack of) use of subs didn't sound inspiring?

We don’t have subs worth bringing on which is the problem. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

Really surprised to see Wilson with a 4, don't think he was the worst of our players by any means at all.

Thought he was by far and away our worst player. Aside from that cross to no one I don't think he did a single thing properly and Dunk completely ragdolled him. 

Tbf to him he was getting pulled and pushed all over and the ref was a joke.