João Pedro

27 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Don't think Sarr is as far along as people think fwiw. 

I'd also like to see us go for him as well and call it a day. 

Yeah, seems very much like it was a Saturday evening panic bid after being well beaten by Villa. Most people reporting it suggest personal terms haven't even been discussed yet.

We seem to be sounding people out first to establish they're interested, get the basics of personal terms in place, then putting in a bid.

28 minutes ago, SteV said:

Do people actually believe that journalists (proper ones, like Romano) just ‘make stuff up’?

Obviously, I’m not saying they’ll always be right, as the source of their info could potentially be ‘making up’ what they tell them to suit a particular agenda (especially if it’s an agent). But if you think Romano’s just made up that we’ve put in a third bid and guessed at some numbers for no real reason other than a bit of clout, you’re crazy.

Errrmmm… have you actually followed football / transfer season before?

Of course they make things up / make educated guesses / post things without corroborated sources. It’s far more valuable to people like Romano and co to get likes / shares / comments than it is to be accurate. Their social media numbers are their brand. Sometimes they go hand in hand, sure, but you must not have being paying attention if you think that they don’t make stuff up.

Romano, in particular, has pretty much always just posted stuff when all the other actual journalists have come to a conclusion on something. As Rich quite rightly said above (albeit in a sarcastic way) he is absolutely a “tap-in merchant”. He very very rarely breaks a story.

The only journalists I trust on that front are the 3 Athletic guys… Ornstein, Caulkin and Waugh. You rarely get speculation from them.

That being said, perhaps if he is actually a Watford fan / has connections with their owners as claimed above, then perhaps this time it’s different…I just find it odd that literally no other journalist has backed him up (yet).

11 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Of course they make things up / make educated guesses / post things without corroborated sources. It’s far more valuable to people like Romano and co to get likes / shares / comments than it is to be accurate. Their social media numbers are their brand. Sometimes they go hand in hand, sure, but you must not have being paying attention if you think that they don’t make stuff up.

Romano, in particular, has pretty much always just posted stuff when all the other actual journalists have come to a conclusion on something. As Rich quite rightly said above (albeit in a sarcastic way) he is absolutely a “tap-in merchant”. He very very rarely breaks a story.

The only journalists I trust on that front are the 3 Athletic guys… Ornstein, Caulkin and Waugh. You rarely get speculation from them.

That being said, perhaps if he is actually a Watford fan / has connections with their owners as claimed above, then perhaps this time it’s different…I just find it odd that literally no other journalist has backed him up (yet).

Waugh and Caulkin never break transfer news for us, they are usually last on this front. Both are excellent writers don’t get me wrong, but when it comes to the transfer window they may as well take the summer off.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

There is absolutely no way Romano has just plucked specific figures for a bid like that without having been told by someone that has some level of ITK. 

Again, that doesn’t make it true, as we don’t know the source, and what they might gain by getting Romano to put it out there.

Just laughable to think he ‘made it up’ though.

37 minutes ago, SteV said:

There is absolutely no way Romano has just plucked specific figures for a bid like that without having been told by someone that has some level of ITK. 

Again, that doesn’t make it true, as we don’t know the source, and what they might gain by getting Romano to put it out there.

Just laughable to think he ‘made it up’ though.

I have never said he made it up. I said I think it’s an educated guess.

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Isn't that the same thing? :lol:

No not at all. Making it up is literally pulling it out of his arse, like the guys at the Sun do on regular occasions. I’m sure he does have some contacts that have suggested things to him, and in this case (in my opinion) he’s taken a punt on a new bid going in to be first to break any potential news, and to keep the likes and shares rolling in. I mean, with all we already know about this potential deal, any one of us in here could have made that guess too.

Without any other significant journalist backing him up (yet) I’m thinking (at the moment) that it’s a punt. That obviously could change though.

I’m going to stand by my opinion, pretty much solely because I can’t stand the guy. Any “journalist” who brands himself the way he has and gives himself a catchphrase is an attention seeking prick ?

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

This afternoon's result is Newcastle 0-3 Man City. I haven't made it up, it's an educated guess.

Breaking news #NUFC. Sources close to the club say Man City are planning an audacious 3 nil win over Newcastle. Final details still to be ironed out but both clubs aim to have the situation concluded later today  

Is how these journo / ITK Twatter cunts present such speculation 

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

No not at all. Making it up is literally pulling it out of his arse, like the guys at the Sun do on regular occasions. I’m sure he does have some contacts that have suggested things to him, and in this case (in my opinion) he’s taken a punt on a new bid going in to be first to break any potential news, and to keep the likes and shares rolling in. I mean, with all we already know about this potential deal, any one of us in here could have made that guess too.

Without any other significant journalist backing him up (yet) I’m thinking (at the moment) that it’s a punt. That obviously could change though.

I’m going to stand by my opinion, pretty much solely because I can’t stand the guy. Any “journalist” who brands himself the way he has and gives himself a catchphrase is an attention seeking prick ?

If he was a significant journalist (going by the dictionary definition of the term) he would never speculate on anything, only write on actual events after they have happened. That would make most modern day journalists more or less redundant.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

If he was a significant journalist (going by the dictionary definition of the term) he would never speculate on anything, only write on actual events after they have happened. That would make most modern day journalists more or less redundant.

Often the best journalism is informed speculation. 

32 minutes ago, bobloblaw said:

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

This is what "informed speculation" gets you:

image.thumb.png.f285da84ba8543a7e7253d2baab3a19a.png

Thats how my boss looks when he takes his vest off after a teams meeting.  The vest wearing twat. 

29 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's what this forum would look like if we just reported after the event.

Oh, I didn't mean it about the posters on here.  Speculate away, I love all the speculation.  I just can't stand the "journalists" who constantly throw shit at the wall hoping something will stick.

Edited by bobloblaw

34 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

Thats how my boss looks when he takes his vest off after a teams meeting.  The vest wearing twat. 

Skip, or the skeleton?  Because Skip might just be the single worst thing in US sports media.

16 minutes ago, bobloblaw said:

Oh, I didn't mean it about the posters on here.  Speculate away, I love all the speculation.  I just can't stand the "journalists" who constantly throw shit at the wall hoping something will stick.

I am with you there, man. As you

know, it’s been overrun by shock jocks. I can’t stand fuckers like Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith, and Nick Wright. They are Paid massively to be wildly wrong, and total cunts about it.

5 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

know, it’s been overrun by shock jocks. I can’t stand fuckers like Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith, and Nick Wright. They are Paid massively to be wildly wrong, and total cunts about it.

I was just kind of thinking back, and trying to pinpoint when the whole shitty hot take thing started.  Not really sure.  I guess it just bothers me that being a fucking idiot has become a monetizable asset.  Humans have more access to information now than ever before, and it depresses me that we choose to make absolute morons, who actively try to dumb down the species, millionaires.

37 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

We have that here too. Paid professional bellends who wind up listeners with their ‘opinions’ just so you phone in and add another quid to their bank account.

And screw the mental health toll it has on society as a whole..