João Pedro

20 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Bellamy is more of a shout. Went to Coventry and was rubbish. We bought him and not many people were arsed and thought he was canny shite. He ended up massive for us. Sometimes players move to the wrong club and it just doesn’t click and sometimes they move to the right fitting club and shine. Let’s give the lad a chance to see what he can do if he signs.

This is it. 

It's not even that fans should be celebrating and running through the streets if the signing happens, but at least let's see what he can do you know?

Some of the rhetoric though, yikes.

28 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Had anybody heard of Andy Cole before we bought him? Nah. Me neither. 

He was a promising Arsenal junior who ended up at Bristol City due to attitude issues. I believe he played for Bristol City against us before we signed him but may be mistaken.

13 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He wasn’t rubbish, he just didn’t score many goals, their fans liked him at the time and he was highly rated.

Yeah, I remember being happy we signed him 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, LV said:

Aye same here, he was a pressing wide forward before it become fashionable today. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

Same. We signed him after a poor season when Strachan played him out wide, but the season before he'd looked spectacular, although might have been in the championship. That's why people had doubts.

6 minutes ago, OverThere said:

If he doesn't score a hat trick tonight he is plainly sh*te.

Let’s just see if he can get a shot on target for a start and go from there. Something he hasn’t even managed in last two games 

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Same. We signed him after a poor season when Strachan played him out wide, but the season before he'd looked spectacular, although might have been in the championship. That's why people had doubts.

He played him often as a winger and sometimes as a CF. He wasn’t our first-choice, but it’s a myth to suggest we got lucky with him as Sir Bobby rated him and had him on his list, it’s not the player as such but his attributes and Bobby wanted pace, an ability to play different positions and roles and someone young to bring the age of the squad down and both Jeffers and Bellamy fitted that role.

He went for Cort to have a younger and quicker Shearer like CF for example and Zenden is similar to the Jeffers/Bellamy to Robert thing. He wanted pace, width and directness. Robert was also on the list of targets, in fact I’m sure he was linked first, but FS didn’t get on with the PSG directors all too well at the time and didn’t want to deal with them.

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

Let’s just see if he can get a shot on target for a start and go from there. Something he hasn’t even managed in last two games 

Had two in the game before that though if we’re being selective…

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Had two in the game before that though if we’re being selective…

It was a joke ffs :lol:

As much as he hasn’t impressed me I’m putting him to score in a bet 

Edited by gdm

Guest reefatoon
42 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He wasn’t rubbish, he just didn’t score many goals, their fans liked him at the time and he was highly rated.

Norwich he was, he flopped at Coventry, that’s why they sold him after a year.

It’s probably been mentioned more than once in here already, but I didn’t realize his stepfather, with whom he was close, passed away in November. Takes something to get through that while still getting used to living in different country and playing in a different league. 

Calling people bed wetters for holding a different opinion is boring craic. 

Not to mention I've barely seen any posts slating the (potential) signing. At most some have said it is a down grade in quality from those previously targeted (Isaak, Diaby) and that is true.

21 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He played him often as a winger and sometimes as a CF. He wasn’t our first-choice, but it’s a myth to suggest we got lucky with him as Sir Bobby rated him and had him on his list, it’s not the player as such but his attributes and Bobby wanted pace, an ability to play different positions and roles and someone young to bring the age of the squad down and both Jeffers and Bellamy fitted that role.

He went for Cort to have a younger and quicker Shearer like CF for example and Zenden is similar to the Jeffers/Bellamy to Robert thing. He wanted pace, width and directness. Robert was also on the list of targets, in fact I’m sure he was linked first, but FS didn’t get on with the PSG directors all too well at the time and didn’t want to deal with them.

Yeah that's how I remember it. SBR had no doubts at all, he'd been following Bellamy for a long time and really wanted him for those qualities regardless of whether he had a bad season.

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Relevant because there’s moaning about buying relatively unknown players and he was dynamite. Same as Bellamy. Average everywhere he’d been until SBR saw his potential. 

Joao Pedro has has a full season in the premier league and in the championship with many games being on tv. Even the 3 games he’s played this season have been on tv and he’s played against newcastle last season. Can we please stop going on like he’s a total unknown 

23 minutes ago, gdm said:

Joao Pedro has has a full season in the premier league and in the championship with many games being on tv. Even the 3 games he’s played this season have been on tv and he’s played against newcastle last season. Can we please stop going on like he’s a total unknown 

Which illustrates my point even more. 

6 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Which illustrates my point even more. 

Not sure it does? Andy Cole scored 20 goals in 41 games for Bristol City. Practically a 1 in 2 striker. That’s real potential. How is that in any way comparable to Joao Pedro who some people have watched and not rated. 

Edited by gdm