João Pedro

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

How come? I know very little about Ramos, other than he looked impressive in our friendly.

From the very little I’ve seen he looks good. He’s scored in the champions league and has a decent enough record for Benfica

from the amount I’ve seen Joao Pedro he’s never looked anything but average bar a few nice touches. He struggled to affect the game v Birmingham City.

it’s just my preference. I may be totally wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time

Edited by gdm

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If we sign Pedro, is the consensus that we won’t be signing Ramos too? 

Same as the other replies - if we end up doing a deal for £25m+ for Pedro, I don't see us also finding £30m+ for Ramos.

I've thought for a while that we will bring in two more, one purchase, one loan (maybe with an option/obligation, maybe not).

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

From the very little I’ve seen he looks good. He’s scored in the champions league and has a decent enough record for Benfica

from the amount I’ve seen Joao Pedro he’s never looked anything but average bar a few nice touches. He struggled to affect the game v Birmingham City.

:thup:

From highlights, Ramos has a nice touch and looks excellent in the air.

I've seen far more of Pedro. He undoubtedly needs to increase his output, but he's comfortable on the ball, he can pick a pass and he can cover for Maxi or Wilson.

Similar profiles, but slightly different players by the looks of it.

Edit: I have no doubt Howe will appreciate Pedro's work rate and application too.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, Gaztoon said:

Right now I agree.. city have done it perfectly.. can't think of a player they have signed that we could class as Hollywood.. all seem to be players who play for the team .. don't think they have had a pogba attitude or Ronaldo sulked..

They are doing that now from a position of power.

When they needed too they splashed £50m+ on fullbacks. Went and got one of the best 25 and under CB's for £50m+. Now the core of the team is settled, they just add quality to it when the time is right or when players want out. Get their pick across the world.

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I like him but 35m for ostensibly a back-up- and one who’s had a fairly average season- doesn’t seem like great value. Getting close to the stage now where we’re going to have to bite the bullet though, I guess.

If the prices are similar, and it’s a choice between the two, I’d be going for Ramos.

3 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

:) now you are just being a dick just for the sake of it.

No I'm not. The whole point of my interjection was that there is nothing to be won, that people need to understand that. Then you come back with that childish shite, when the conversation was done.

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If we sign Pedro, is the consensus that we won’t be signing Ramos too? 

I think there's a chance Ramos comes in to start if we do sign him. He's looking like he's good enough to do so. Pedro is more of a player that can still afford to come in here and there and continue to develop.

I think with Ramos, it will mean that in possession of the ball, he will then get right up and support Wilson in a support striker role, and out of possession we'll still be able to defend in that 4-3-3 shape we have been using, as Ramos is very good defensively and has played in that sort of role in a midfield three previously.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They are doing that now from a position of power.

When they needed too they splashed £50m+ on fullbacks. Went and got one of the best 25 and under CB's for £50m+. Now the core of the team is settled, they just add quality to it when the time is right or when players want out. Get their pick across the world.

To get to this position they paid a premium for the likes of Aguero, Barry & Milner. We don't have that FFP privilege though.

Guest reefatoon
53 minutes ago, gdm said:

There is nothing wrong with the way the club is running and doing business. we’ve known for weeks, had we listened that we have a strict budget which is absolutely fine. I’m just not keen on one of our targets. Not sure it’s that big a deal tbh 

To be fair it isn’t just one target though is it. Sure you said the same about Cornet, Broja and Harrison. That’s why I chuckled at you not liking Pedro either, as it felt a bit of a theme of disliking links. 

Just don’t think our wish list will please everyone, especially with the people who had higher hopes that it would be more. 

You are right though, it’s not a big deal and I am not having a dig. 

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Would people be happy if it turns out Howe see’s JP as a starting wide forward for the wing position rather than a back up to Wilson? 

I would be very surprised, and I honestly couldn't see that.

I don't think we go from looking at the likes of Diaby and Harrison for that role and then bringing in Pedro to play it from the off.

Pedro is more of an alternative to the role we had in mind for Ekitike.

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

No I'm not. The whole point of my interjection was that there is nothing to be won, that people need to understand that. Then you come back with that childish shite, when the conversation was done.

Ah, so the conversation is done when you responded then. I like you as a poster and appreciate your insight even when we have sniped a little in the  past, but sometimes you act like a Russell Brand pastiche. You went well beyond your interjection, as you sometimes do. Pot calling the kettle black on the childish shite.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I think there's a chance Ramos comes in to start if we do sign him. He's looking like he's good enough to do so. Pedro is more of a player that can still afford to come in here and there and continue to develop.

I think with Ramos, it will mean that in possession of the ball, he will then get right up and support Wilson in a support striker role, and out of possession we'll still be able to defend in that 4-3-3 shape we have been using, as Ramos is very good defensively and has played in that sort of role in a midfield three previously.

I'd go for that. We lack presence in the opposition box, way too many times. I thought Willock would be getting in there, but he just isn't. It seems to be dragging Bruno too far up the pitch at times, which wouldn't be an issue if Shelvey was sitting in, of course.

This is based off the first two games, in which Wilson was well shepherded but, aside from his goal, I don't think I've seen him attack the near post.

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

To be fair it isn’t just one target though is it. Sure you said the same about Cornet, Broja and Harrison. That’s why I chuckled at you not liking Pedro either, as it felt a bit of a theme of disliking links. 

Just don’t think our wish list will please everyone, especially with the people who had higher hopes that it would be more. 

You are right though, it’s not a big deal and I am not having a dig. 

Tbf I did quickly change my mind about Harrison and I’m not totally against a broja I just think he went missing 2nd half of last season. Not liking cornet or JP at all tho but I take your point 

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Ah, so the conversation is done when you responded then. I like you as a poster and appreciate your insight even when we have sniped a little in the  past, but sometimes you act like a Russell Brand pastiche. You went well beyond your interjection, as you sometimes do. Pot calling the kettle black on the childish shite.

The conversation was over before you said "dude you win".

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I would be very surprised, and I honestly couldn't see that.

I don't think we go from looking at the likes of Diaby and Harrison for that role and then bringing in Pedro to play it from the off.

Pedro is more of an alternative to the role we had in mind for Ekitike.

I just don’t think he scores enough goals and doesn’t even look likely too half the time tho I do appreciate the comments people were making about his link up play which is why I asked. I guess what I was asking is would people be happy if it turned our Ramos & JP were the two signings we made? 

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

:thup:

From highlights, Ramos has a nice touch and looks excellent in the air.

I've seen far more of Pedro. He undoubtedly needs to increase his output, but he's comfortable on the ball, he can pick a pass and he can cover for Maxi or Wilson.

Similar profiles, but slightly different players by the looks of it.

Edit: I have no doubt Howe will appreciate Pedro's work rate and application too.

Honestly I think that is key for Howe. It's what I noticed in Ekiteke as well, other than his goals or pace, one thing which really stood out was he was happy to release the ball really early if he saw a team mate making a run.

Guest reefatoon
10 minutes ago, gdm said:

Tbf I did quickly change my mind about Harrison and I’m not totally against a broja I just think he went missing 2nd half of last season. Not liking cornet or JP at all tho but I take your point 

Been the same myself. Sometimes the first reaction is wtf? Been trying to curb that, especially after witnessing the turnaround of some of our players under Howe (Joelinton and Krafth). So willing to see what any player we are after is like. We seem to have a plan of what they want in certain positions.

You asked the question regarding where he might play. Maybe Howe is looking for a young forward player who can cover across the front three, someone with a bit of flexibility instead of an out and out striker this window.

Edited by reefatoon