Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

Nashville isn’t just about music. People know it for that but it’s not even one of the major employers (music business). The migration from the big cities to Nashville is backed by the tremendous investment and development over the last decade+. The sport has always been popular in that city and the city itself is fiercely loyal to pro sports. NHL, NFL and MLS thrive there as the stadiums are in the city amongst the tourism area + easy to get to from outside the city. 

Just had a read through of the MLS competitive format on WIkipedia and it’s basically everything Cubo is saying. Choosing an “unbalanced(literal word used in the article” schedule from late February to early December. Not going with a fall to spring season because they’d have to compete with the other sports in America and running through the summer while international tournaments are in progress. 

What if they tried a fall to spring season? Surely the cream rises to the top and there’s room for all sports to get a piece of the pie? @Kanji when you had Orlando season tickets, did you also have NFL season tickets or NBA season tickets? I think there’s a gap in the market, they just need to bite the bullet and give it a try. 

On 16/08/2023 at 12:23, TBG said:

Do they play games every couple of days in the MLS?

Sick of opening YouTube and being greeted with 'Messi shines once again this time against the Tampa Bay Pterodactyls'

Like I can't tell given how often these videos are coming up, whether they're in the midst of a pre season friendly tour or playing against their fiercest rivals in the league. 

Nah this is legit annoying now.

They won a cup just the other day, I check BBC there and they're already in another cup final.

Messi must be close to 100 appearances already

Edited by TBG

2 hours ago, TBG said:

Nah this is legit annoying now.

They won a cup just the other day, I check BBC there and they're already in another cup final.

Messi must be close to 100 appearances already

10 appearances, but he hasn’t even played a league game yet. :lol: 

On 24/08/2023 at 06:54, Mike said:

Wait is this true?!

Yeah, MLS has been running a tournament with LIga MX. There were some dumb rules: draws were decided by penalty shootouts with the winner getting an extra point and the loser getting just a single point for the draw, Mexican teams couldn’t play in Mexico, if you played a home game against a Mexican side, they were seen as the home team.

Toon fan John Herdman leaving Canada to take over TFC. 

https://www.tsn.ca/1.2000942

CSA is a mess. Also rumours a few top players wanted him out and he had taken Canada as far as he could. Gamble for him going into club football for the first time but he can't make TFC any worse and will get lots to spend.

Not convinced the CSA has any pennies or brain cells to rub together to hire someone credible and decent. Golden generation of players and an automatic WC squad hosting in 2026 might entice a few if they have the money.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Golden generation of players and an automatic WC squad hosting in 2026 might entice a few if they have the money.

Sounds like something that would entice Large Samuel.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Toon fan John Herdman leaving Canada to take over TFC. 

https://www.tsn.ca/1.2000942

CSA is a mess. Also rumours a few top players wanted him out and he had taken Canada as far as he could. Gamble for him going into club football for the first time but he can't make TFC any worse and will get lots to spend.

Not convinced the CSA has any pennies or brain cells to rub together to hire someone credible and decent. Golden generation of players and an automatic WC squad hosting in 2026 might entice a few if they have the money.

It’s a good move for him. He’s helped the national team massively. I think a bit too much blame is being laid at his door for Canada not doing well at the World Cup, and by his and others admission, they probably qualified too early. They certainly suffered to not being able to play European or South American teams in friendlies.

Apparently Forge FC manager Bobby Smyrniotis is an early favourite for the Canada job, he was also an early favourite for the Toronto FC job.

On 28/08/2023 at 21:43, Stifler said:

It’s a good move for him. He’s helped the national team massively. I think a bit too much blame is being laid at his door for Canada not doing well at the World Cup, and by his and others admission, they probably qualified too early. They certainly suffered to not being able to play European or South American teams in friendlies.

Apparently Forge FC manager Bobby Smyrniotis is an early favourite for the Canada job, he was also an early favourite for the Toronto FC job.

That and our federation being broke contributed to the move as well. Gotta love an FA that says “we’re broke” then immediately tried to backtrack that.

On 16/08/2023 at 14:58, Kanji said:

Nashville isn’t just about music. People know it for that but it’s not even one of the major employers (music business). The migration from the big cities to Nashville is backed by the tremendous investment and development over the last decade+. The sport has always been popular in that city and the city itself is fiercely loyal to pro sports. NHL, NFL and MLS thrive there as the stadiums are in the city amongst the tourism area + easy to get to from outside the city. 

No state income tax helps as well, along with weather.  If I was going to move Tennessee would be one of my top choices.

Predators are extremely popular and I don't think anyone thought Nashville would be a massive ice hockey city. Even more impressive when looking at the struggling Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes franchise.