Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

I'm looking at the current talent pool and struggling to see where the quality is that'll make US a genuine football force. People have been saying this a while, but apart from the odd player doing a decent job at midling European clubs there is nothing else.

I'm not saying a generation won't come through, but there's not even really any signs of it happening.

I'm looking at the current talent pool and struggling to see where the quality is that'll make US a genuine football force. People have been saying this a while, but apart from the odd player doing a decent job at midling European clubs there is nothing else.

I'm not saying a generation won't come through, but there's not even really any signs of it happening.

Yup. Until our top athletes start choosing 'Soccer' over American Football or Basketball or whatever than it won't really change. The sport is only just starting to get into the mainstream, it will take years for the effects to reach actually producing players.

As far as having loads of top players making a impact in the top leagues around the world, I'd say they aren't there yet. The National team is pretty good, not great. The wave of talent they have coming up could take them to the next level in both areas. (In my opinion)

Mexico isn't top tier?

In terms of their players? Definitely not. The Mexican league is strong and they're all very strong technically when they play for the national team but they don't have anybody playing in top squads around Europe.

Mexico isn't top tier?

In terms of their players? Definitely not. The Mexican league is strong and they're all very strong technically when they play for the national team but they don't have anybody playing in top squads around Europe.

http://i.imgur.com/vNdTsN1.jpg

Mexico isn't top tier?

But aren't we talking about national teams? They play incredibly well together.

Mexico isn't top tier?

But aren't we talking about national teams? They play incredibly well together.

While that's true i still wouldn't call them top tier, on the level of the likes of Croatia etc etc.

:lol: Mexico must be pissed they're not in Europe.

Same reason why your mob will ever likely also be also-rans.

Look at the way the South American second tier teams have progressed massively because they have to pay a lot of proper teams. Venezuela are probably the most improved international team going in the last few years, following after Ecuador.

The funny thing is when everyone predicts great things they seem oblivious to other countries improving too.

I don't buy it. We don't give a shit about the countries around us as a hobby, so where we are won't have any bearing on how good we can become.

Well done on missing the point.

International teams usually only get better playing good teams competitively. The only good teams you'll ever play is Mexico & alternating central America team 1.

We've done well over the past eight years to start playing friendlies against the best countries, but that's about as much as we can do. The real problem is youth development, the country is too large to be able to catch every kid who has promise. There's a countless amount who get missed and end up playing in college, which is not nearly good enough to consistently development European players. The next generation sounds decent enough right now, and this is probably the first season we're seeing young Americans playing important roles with their MLS sides. Getting players into European academies (which we have a few) or getting them in the MLS quickly is our best bet right now.

As someone has suggested, part of the youth development problem is getting the young promising athletes to choose football instead ofthe other yank sports... pay at the lower end of the wage pyramid of the MLS is stupidly low, an imho puts off potential stars that choose another sport were "making it" looks more likely. You can barely sustain a family in a metropolitan area with some of the wages dished out at entry level ffs.

Couple of thoughts on the half that I was able to watch:

1. Jozy had his best game in years. It's obvious his game has improved tremendously since moving to the Netherlands. He and Dempsey in tandem were excellent.

2. This is our strongest formation going forward. Two box-to-box CMs in Bradley and Jones are more than capable of running the show...there's no need for the obligatory Klinsmann 3rd CM. Jones in particular has been very impressive his past few games for the national team.

3. Defense is still shaky, but Besler looked good and Gonzalez had an off-game. He runs hot and cold, we've always known that. Besler-Gonzalez at CB should be the starters going forward. Beasley wasn't terrible either, and it seems Klinsmann favors him at LB to Castillo. I still think Castillo is the long-term answer at LB, but I'm fine with Beasley holding down the spot during the qualifiers. Brad Evans was a pleasant surprise at RB, despite being a RM/CM by trade. I'd stick with him for the qualifiers too.

4. Howard is fine, but I still think Guzan should be our first-choice GK at this point.

5. Klinsmann now has wins against Italy (away), Mexico (away), and Germany (home). Yes, that wasn't Germany's A-squad. But it was still a squad that put a beating on Ecuador a few days ago and could easily handle most national teams in the world with ease. Klinsmann loves going all-out for the friendlies, but I wouldn't be shocked if we see a 3-man central midfield on the road in the qualifiers, despite yesterday's formation being by far our strongest.

It certainly doesn't make football a tempting career path for a gifted athlete.

This is the main problem.  Soccer is the most played sport under the age of 16 in America.  When they get to HS they realize they can put their talents to use elsewhere and make much more money in the long run.

MLS is one of the most rapidly growing leagues in the world. It's on par with most mid-level European leagues already. And it's only been around for 20 years.

It's extraordinarily well-run, more cash flows-in every year and the quality of play consistently improves. It'll be a top 5 league within the next 25-30 years, particularly if the major European leagues continue to play it fast and loose with their finances.

Great thing about the U.S. is that, being a country of 300 million people, we don't need our absolute finest athletes to choose the sport like European countries do. We still get fantastic athletes playing the game. American soccer players are already better athletes than the majority of world footballers, just not as technically proficient. But that's changing rapidly.

Frankly, it's laughable to think we'd be on top of the world if only the Kobe's and Jeter's had played soccer instead. There's no such thing as natural talent. Messi didn't get to where he is because he was born with the ability to play the game: he practiced day and night and picked-up the skills faster and better than almost everyone else. The greatest failing of soccer in the U.S. is that we don't instill the game from a very young age or encourage our young players to practice day and night.

Guest icemanblue

MLS is one of the most rapidly growing leagues in the world. It's on par with most mid-level European leagues already. And it's only been around for 20 years.

It's extraordinarily well-run, more cash flows-in every year and the quality of play consistently improves. It'll be a top 5 league within the next 25-30 years, particularly if the major European leagues continue to play it fast and loose with their finances.

Great thing about the U.S. is that, being a country of 300 million people, we don't need our absolute finest athletes to choose the sport like European countries do. We still get fantastic athletes playing the game. American soccer players are already better athletes than the majority of world footballers, just not as technically proficient. But that's changing rapidly.

Frankly, it's laughable to think we'd be on top of the world if only the Kobe's and Jeter's had played soccer instead. There's no such thing as natural talent. Messi didn't get to where he is because he was born with the ability to play the game: he practiced day and night and picked-up the skills faster and better than almost everyone else. The greatest failing of soccer in the U.S. is that we don't instill the game from a very young age or encourage our young players to practice day and night.

Is this a joke, Deuce?