Alexander Isak

Disco

First one he'd have smashed it first time before the defender gets him if he was confident shooting with his left, I think.

Pull back one was a bit unlucky as Tonali did welly it at him, but I'd have bet on Isak to do better by his high standards.

Third one I felt like he'd have shot if he hadn't messed up two chances.

He's class but thought he was uncharacteristically poor with his chances today.

Not sure about Isak as SOM, but I think Gordon could work there. Isak at SOM would be like playing 4-2-2-2 or 4-4-2. I'd personally like to see Isak up front and Gordon in behind. Joelinton left.

Edited by Erikse

2 hours ago, BonesJones said:

The chip against Villa is up for goal of the month.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3660247

Hes up against some good competition though, but I think the technique for his is the most difficult, something not many players can pull off. Mitoma's is like HBA and I also liked the Gustavo Hamer one, it just looks cool.

Watched those goals with the lightning seeds life of Reilly tune in the background. 

On 03/09/2023 at 10:13, buzza said:

He looks more threatening as a deeper nine or coming inside from the flanks, would like to see a bit more of him and wilson together...

The issue for Isak is that he is completely isolated up top with how we set up in midfield, if he does drop deep then he isn’t playing on the shoulder which is where we try to feed him in quite a bit.

We set up kind of like a teardrop shape, with Bruno at the base and then Joelinton and Tonali slightly more advanced but quite wide, then Gordon and Almiron even further forward and wider with Isak isolated all on his own up top. This leaves a huge gap in behind him that is very rarely filled by any of our players.

I would look at going with a midfield of Bruno and Tonali as the double pivot and I would be interested in seeing what Barnes would be like in that role behind Isak, as the danger for the opposition would be that if they follow Isak deep he links up with Barnes for the 1-2 overlap, which is how HB gets a high number of his goals.

I feel sorry for Isak, if he was in Arsenal’s team he would live up to his potential how they set up to support the striker. I’m not sure he will here apart from the odd moments of magic with how we set up currently.

38 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The issue for Isak is that he is completely isolated up top with how we set up in midfield, if he does drop deep then he isn’t playing on the shoulder which is where we try to feed him in quite a bit.

We set up kind of like a teardrop shape, with Bruno at the base and then Joelinton and Tonali slightly more advanced but quite wide, then Gordon and Almiron even further forward and wider with Isak isolated all on his own up top. This leaves a huge gap in behind him that is very rarely filled by any of our players.

I would look at going with a midfield of Bruno and Tonali as the double pivot and I would be interested in seeing what Barnes would be like in that role behind Isak, as the danger for the opposition would be that if they follow Isak deep he links up with Barnes for the 1-2 overlap, which is how HB gets a high number of his goals.

I feel sorry for Isak, if he was in Arsenal’s team he would live up to his potential how they set up to support the striker. I’m not sure he will here apart from the odd moments of magic with how we set up currently.

Just look at the Bruno thread, if he was given that role for us he could feed Isak all day with those line splitting passes, we really do need a new player to sit deep and free up Bruno.

He was isolated against City and Liverpool but we're usually very good at supporting the striker in our shape. 

We often have a line of 5 attacking in and around the box, sometimes even 6. And that's usually anchored by Bruno as well.

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1 used more in some games this season though. If we're going to have more tight matches than last season then I expect it'll get quite a few airings as we push for the win.

Think Eddie needs to trial both playing more central in the side: 

Pope

Trippier     Schar            Botman       Hall

Tonali            Bruno
  Gordon                      Isak                   Barnes
                                 Wilson

3 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Pope

Tonali            Bruno
                                 Wilson

I would buy into that.

First time in what must be 5 years or so that Wilson has had a long period without injury. Any guesses as to why that is? 

Besides, it's nice to play players like Isak in their best position while also having options on the bench and the possibility to keep them both fresh when we start getting 2 games a week soon.

....and if that frontline struggles to get a result - what do Howe do to change things up? :lol:

I do think however that we should have a plan for when we are desperate for a goal where we have both Isak & Wilson as a front 2.

6 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Pope

Tonali            Bruno
                                 Wilson

Would like to see that. Don’t think Eddie will change from his 4-3-3 though.

22 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Pope

Tonali            Bruno
                                 Wilson

I'd like us to continue as we are, rotating him and Wilson. I fear if we bought into a system like this then it wouldn't be long before Wilson is out for a while with an injury. I think rotating Wilson could see him available for the whole season. 

Personally, I would prefer to see the team set out in a 4-1-4-1:

-----------------------Pope---------------------------

Tripps-----Schar--------Botman-------------Burn-

------------------Tonali--------------------------

Gordon ------Bruno--------Isak------Big Joe

-------------------Wilson-----------------

Have Isak and Big Joe rotating.