Alexander Isak

Disco

Expected a lot more from him today with Wilson on the bench. Thought he'd go pelters for 60 minutes knowing he'd likely come off.

He's not a luxury player, imo, but he can be annoyingly inactive when things aren't going our way. Pretty sure one of Spurs' CBs today was a full back which makes it even more frustrating.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

I still think he's not getting the right type of service in recent games. He's not the type to win aerial duels, his best work is on the floor.

But he's barely moving [emoji38]

Neither coming deep nor trying to work channels in the last 2. Just seems to plant himself between CBs at the moment.

It's likely due to trying to maintain a base level of fitness but it's frustrating to watch when he can be so fucking good.

For all the talk of service this year too he's missed quite a few really, really decent chances.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

But he's barely moving [emoji38]

Neither coming deep nor trying to work channels in the last 2. Just seems to plant himself between CBs at the moment.

It's likely due to trying to maintain a base level of fitness but it's frustrating to watch when he can be so fucking good.

For all the talk of service this year too he's missed quite a few really, really decent chances.

Yeah but you know he's a fantastic runner when he's at full fitness. He's also a class finisher generally, but strikers will miss chances. I'm not going to write him off after a couple of games when the whole team looks shattered.

4 hours ago, TRon said:

I still think he's not getting the right type of service in recent games. He's not the type to win aerial duels, his best work is on the floor.

He needs to come deep and win balls contested along the ground. 

3 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Still maintain the lad isn't fully fit.

This might be true. Doesn’t look to be playing fully. 

45 minutes flat out against Milan then sub out for Wilson please.  Really needs to get to Howe fitness. 

5 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Expected a lot more from him today with Wilson on the bench. Thought he'd go pelters for 60 minutes knowing he'd likely come off.

He's not a luxury player, imo, but he can be annoyingly inactive when things aren't going our way. Pretty sure one of Spurs' CBs today was a full back which makes it even more frustrating.

He's not the physical type to hold up, or command the box, he's technically gifted, a skilled dribbler, that's why I see him more as an inside forward than a complete centre forward or striker, Wilson is more the striker, I'd play the pair of them when it's a good fit, he seems to enjoy coming in from the left, maybe Gordon moves to the right to accommodate both Isak and Wilson.

In fairness though, when both were fit, and one or the other played, it seemed to make them hungrier, they were both desperate to take the role, and both scoring.

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Why are people offering these daft opinions about his best position based on games in which he cannot run / exert himself? Absurdity.

If he's playing with a genuine injury - he shouldn't, he's young and it could ruin his entire career.

I think his issue is more fitness/stamina. He's struggled with playing at full intensity for 90 minutes pretty much his entire time here. The injuries won't have helped this. But IMO it's not good enough. Anderson & Gordon realised they were not fit enough to play at Howe's intensity last season and they put in the work over the summer to get Howe fit. Isak hasn't.

I look at Gabriel Jesus. A far inferior finisher and a lad who also looks injury-prone. A much smaller lad than Isak too. But when he does play, he's able to give 100%. Fights for every ball. Wilson is hardly a unit but he's able to put himself about when he's on the pitch. Isak needs to develop physically. Prime Henry played in a much harder division but was able to hold defenders off when a ball was rolled into his feet.

I'm one of Isak's biggest fans. I think he's the second-best striker in the league potentially. But he's not above critique. 

22 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Something is definitely off with him physically. If you watch that Everton assist from last season it’s clear as day; he was gliding across the grass and looks so heavy now in comparison. 

He's nowhere near fit and is playing because there is no one else and is nursing his way through games.

I'm not convinced he's a through the middle no9 in a 433 either.

I know that they won't for strategic reasons, but it would be nice if it was confirmed that he was playing with an injury. :lol:

Probably the only player I was dissapointed by today. Expected him to come on and bring some energy, pressing and pace to our attack seeing as he only had to play 30 minutes, but he the fastest he ran was when he got subbed on and ran to his position. 

Think it’s more the case that he’s terrified of getting stuck in, either for fear of injury from himself when running or from the other team in challenges. Opposing players basically just need to be on the pitch to win any contested loose ball over him. He still looks class on the ball though at least