Alexander Isak

Disco

27 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Have people still not fully grasped that Eddie does everything he can to mislead opposition during his press conferences when it comes to team selection? 

:thup: I know for some his pressers are primetime viewing but I reckon you could just give me the list of questions put to him and I could guess 95% of his answers. 

It's part of what I love about him, he doesn’t bring any attention on himself or the club, doesn’t say anything that could tip off or be used as inspiration by the opposition, gives barely anything away, and does it all while being friendly.

Edited by Kid Icarus

• 2 weeks later...

His biggest problem here this season has been coming back too soon because Wilson can't play 3 games in a row without falling apart. The summer will do him the world of good but I wouldn't rush him back now either even though we need him. If he needs another 2 weeks to get right and be back until the end of the season then give him it, no point rushing him back then he's out again.

I’m not sure he’s been rushed back as such, the main problem seems to be having to remain on the pitch when he’s clearly knackered due to our lack of viable substitute options.

Wilson has been managed very carefully this season to keep him fit but he’s still out for most of the season. I’m tired of hearing questions in press conference which evoke what sounds like Howe drafting love letters to him.

I know that may sound harsh but I’d sell him in a heartbeat now. I can’t think of a more injury prone player we’ve ever had.

Really hope we land a top quality #9 in the summer.

The ability to start one of Wilson/Isak and have the other on the bench was so important last season.

If things were going well, a straight swap midway through the second half to bring on fresh legs and manage their workloads, while if we needed a spark, Isak left and Wilson CF for the last twenty minutes regularly provided it.

Also think there'll be some scope for Isak and the new CF to start some games together, but even if not I think there'll be more than enough minutes to go around for the two.

3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Wilson has been managed very carefully this season to keep him fit but he’s still out for most of the season. I’m tired of hearing questions in press conference which evoke what sounds like Howe drafting love letters to him.

I know that may sound harsh but I’d sell him in a heartbeat now. I can’t think of a more injury prone player we’ve ever had.

You find weird things to be critical of. 

2 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

You find weird things to be critical of. 

I said on this forum 2 years ago (by all means search it) that relying on Callum Wilson was insanity. I’m a little frustrated hearing about how he’s raring to get back for the umpteenth time.

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I said on this forum 2 years ago (by all means search it) that relying on Callum Wilson was insanity. I’m a little frustrated hearing about how he’s raring to get back for the umpteenth time.

You also spoke ad nauseum about how losing Shelvey would hamstring us just one year ago.

10 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I think it’s definitely been a mistake not brining in another striking option this season given Isak and Wilson’s injury record. 

3 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

You also spoke ad nauseum about how losing Shelvey would hamstring us just one year ago.

That is absolute bullshit. What I actually questioned was letting him leave without a squad replacement with 4 months of the season remaining. 

46 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think it’s definitely been a mistake not brining in another striking option this season given Isak and Wilson’s injury record. 

So how many mistakes is that now? 

I’m starting to think there is no working relationship between the staff. 

Just now, Sufi said:

So how many mistakes is that now? 

I’m starting to think there is no working relationship between the staff. 

There is obviously a working relationship but they’ve made mistakes I agree. Summer is a BIG window to sort a lot of things out and make a bit of a statement too. I think this season was always going to be a tough one but there’ll be an expectation we push on again next season. Pressure on everyone at the club.

17 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

No he hasn't. This is not true at all.

image.thumb.png.629734d616db8df508b1bec96b289d8f.png

+ 90 minutes on 12/19 (keeping the format used here) against Chelsea in the league cup. A month injured, 26 minutes off the bench then completed 270+ minutes in 8 days then tried to go again 3 days later. Broke down. This is not how you manage an injury-prone 32-year-old coming back from a month's layoff. "Managed very carefully" - nonsense.

Likewise this latest injury - he wasn't match-fit for 90 minutes but Howe played him through exhaustion and then he got injured again.

The same thing happened to Isak. He returned too early when clearly not match fit. Played through exhaustion several times. Then injured again. And Isak is the one that is meant to be able to play close to 90 minutes back-to-back and he's nowhere near it.

Howe has to change how he manages Isak and Wilson. Neither has the physical capacity to play Howe-ball 3x a week for 90 minutes. Isak's long-term injury record will go the same way as Wilson's if Howe does not change his approach. It's already a mirror after 18 months.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

They need to find a way to keep Isak fitter for longer or hopefully he’s just been unlucky. It’s bad enough Wilson being out for such long periods.

It's not bad luck, if it keeps happening to several players.

Edited by The College Dropout

56 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No he hasn't. This is not true at all.

image.thumb.png.629734d616db8df508b1bec96b289d8f.png

+ 90 minutes on 12/19 (keeping the format used here) against Chelsea in the league cup. A month injured, 26 minutes off the bench then completed 270+ minutes in 8 days then tried to go again 3 days later. Broke down. This is not how you manage an injury-prone 32-year-old coming back from a month's layoff. "Managed very carefully" - nonsense.

Likewise this latest injury - he wasn't match-fit for 90 minutes but Howe played him through exhaustion and then he got injured again.

The same thing happened to Isak. He returned too early when clearly not match fit. Played through exhaustion several times. Then injured again. And Isak is the one that is meant to be able to play close to 90 minutes back-to-back and he's nowhere near it.

Howe has to change how he manages Isak and Wilson. Neither has the physical capacity to play Howe-ball 3x a week for 90 minutes. Isak's long-term injury record will go the same way as Wilson's if Howe does not change his approach. It's already a mirror after 18 months.

It's not bad luck, if it keeps happening to several players.

Not saying I completely disagree with you but I think that when Howe had the option to manage Wilson and Isak’s minutes he did. When they were both available he would rotate them and manage their minutes. The unfortunate thing is that they haven’t been both available regularly enough so he was left with having to play the available one every game or not have a recognised striker on the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Not saying I completely disagree with you but I think that when Howe had the option to manage Wilson and Isak’s minutes he did. When they were both available he would rotate them and manage their minutes. The unfortunate thing is that they haven’t been both available regularly enough so he was left with having to play the available one every game or not have a recognised striker on the pitch. 

You have to manage injury-prone players minutes - you can't opt-out because they will get injured again. As has happened with Wilson (and Isak tbf).

If you try and play Wilson 3x a week for 90 it won't be long until he breaks down. Even if it's a kid because it keeps Wilson fit for another week.

Can’t blame Howe for hoping he could start his strikers for 3 games in a row without them getting injured.

Maybe something to say about the club being willing to take the gamble on 2 injury prone players being our only strikers for the season?