Alexander Isak

Disco

4 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

No point risking him for Saturday at all, keep him fresh for Blackburn.

Maybe we can put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 20 mins as a bit of a run out. Other than that, I agree, we won't need him to get us a result, the game will be gone as soon as we announce the starting 11.

The fact it keeps coming up that he might need surgery in the summer says it all really. He will almost certainly miss more games. 

Agree, it is not worth risking against Arsenal as they are on fire at the moment anyway, take the hit and move on.

Eddie Howe on Alex Isak and Joe Willock: "They have trained this week; it has been good to see them back on the grass. It has been a long time for Joe, he is a huge player for us. We are pleased for him to be back amongst the group, he is a very popular member of the squad. Alex is an important player for us too, we have one more training session today - we won’t take any risks - but we are pleased with their progress."

Whatever it takes, we need to find a way to bring them back in the lowest risk fashion possible. Even if it means playing without a striker for a while or playing with a very imbalanced midfield. Zero point playing either for anywhere close to 90 mins until they’ve proven they can do, 15, 20, 30 mins etc.

On 21/02/2024 at 13:48, TRon said:

Maybe we can put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 20 mins as a bit of a run out. Other than that, I agree, we won't need him to get us a result, the game will be gone as soon as we announce the starting 11.

I'm back and forward on this, if he's fit enough to train I'd rather have him on the bench even if the game is gone for a possible run out, like you say. Treat it like a training match.

Maybe not as much as 20 mins, but still, better than having someone else on the bench we won't use in any case and so who wouldn't get any minutes anyway.

I can see both Isak and Willock being in the match day squad tomorrow. Even if neither feature at all, I could see Howe viewing having them being involved in the warm up/changing room environment worth the impact alone to get things closer to being back to normal with more senior 1st team players involved in the mix.

13 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

I can see both Isak and Willock being in the match day squad tomorrow. Even if neither feature at all, I could see Howe viewing having them being involved in the warm up/changing room environment worth the impact alone to get things closer to being back to normal with more senior 1st team players involved in the mix.

Exactly, if the bench is padded out with kids who won't get on then its better to have these 2 back involved, even if there is zero chance of them setting foot on the turf

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Eddie Howe on Alex Isak and Joe Willock: "They have trained this week; it has been good to see them back on the grass. It has been a long time for Joe, he is a huge player for us. We are pleased for him to be back amongst the group, he is a very popular member of the squad. Alex is an important player for us too, we have one more training session today - we won’t take any risks - but we are pleased with their progress."

That must be for the pain

Just now, Colos Short and Curlies said:

along with Bruno and Botman

wouldnt surprise me if we are starting again this summer

Botman? He's been as bad as anyone the last few months. If he carries on as he has been lately he won't be a great miss

At least Howe had the sense to get him off relatively early once it became clear we weren't getting anything. Thought it was a mistake to start him tbh, but hopefully he's not felt any after effects and he'll be closer to full fitness after a run out.

Can see why he started, the plan was to try and stay in the game and then try to create him a moment, unfortunately Arsenal started stupidly well and the game was gone before we got even close to that

Isak was pretty much static alone up top waiting for us to break against Arsenal for the first 30 minutes of the game and got subbed on the 62nd or 63rd minute(?) so basically played ~30 minutes of normal football which should be manageble considering he trained a few days before the game.

54 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The chance he created for himself was a glimpse of what we've got, like. We've seen him smash those into the roof of the net, was pure quality the first touch then couple of touches to create the shooting opportunity.

Dropped that shoulder like :megusta:

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The chance he created for himself was a glimpse of what we've got, like. We've seen him smash those into the roof of the net, was pure quality the first touch then couple of touches to create the shooting opportunity.

Been said loads, but we really need to be building our side around him. Any attacking signing we make should be aimed at getting the best out of him. He’s wasted in our current setup.

It is becoming standard for us the play scared away against the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal, leaving Isak (or Wilson) to feed off scrapes.

I admire teams that go to these places and have a go, even if they lose comprehensively.

I think there is a good chance he will be away in the summer if the right offer comes along, I wouldn’t really blame him either.