Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

I actually think Birmingham is a great city when you get to know it, but it's not 100% a football city. Ask almost anyone in Newcastle on a Monday and they'll know the weekend's result and usually have an opinion on it. Not the same there at all.

I'm sure the hardcore fans are just as passionate as any other, but I don't think the city's identity is driven as much by the rhythm of football as it is here. Maybe because it's a two team city, but maybe because it's a much bigger place as well.

It's not a two team city, it's a three team one, and the West Midlands, which is basically these days one contiguous urban sprawl from west of Wolverhampton to Coventry contains god knows how many teams.

Villa Park, the Hawthorns and the Sty are all about 2 miles apart.]

What's more, it is a significantly bigger city than Newcastle, which is a small place (basically, only half as much population again as Solihull, which is a suburb of Brum) and a one club city and of course the dynamics are different.

Edited by brummie

36 minutes ago, brummie said:

It's not a two team city, it's a three team one, and the West Midlands, which is basically these days one contiguous urban sprawl from west of Wolverhampton to Coventry contains god knows how many teams.

What's more, it is a significantly bigger city than Newcastle, which is a small place (basically, only half as much population again as Solihull, which is a suburb of Brum) and a one club city and of course the dynamics are different.

I wasn't really counting the baggies, may be wrong but it always felt like the real rivalry was between city and villa, with West Brom being as much rivals with Wolves.

Probably also biased because one of my housemates at the time was a Bluenose and so when I went to those games it was in their home end. Whereas my villa mate got us tickets at the halfway line where it's not generally as good in any stadium.

Like I say, my own thoughts were based on living a while all over the midlands, so could be missing a lot, because it's all based on what I saw and heard personally, rather than due to being from there.

Edited by Abacus

33 minutes ago, brummie said:

Yeah I’m amazed Villa and Albion aren’t a full on derby - you can see Villa Park a few mins after coming onto the motorway from where the Albion ground is

9 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

You just noticed? [emoji38] They were the same prior to the takeover. Would otherwise have been delighted to see another team disrupt the top six.

Yeah normally wouldn’t mind a smaller club breaking into the top 4 but Villa have some sort of weird hatred towards us that makes it hard to like them .

12 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Yeah normally wouldn’t mind a smaller club breaking into the top 4 but Villa have some sort of weird hatred towards us that makes it hard to like them .

At least we can be more confident in being there for the long term. Our commercial income should leave them in the dust within a couple of years, and so long as we remain well managed unlike Chelsea. FFP has arguably forced our owners to demonstrate real competence.

Edited by Turnbull2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_2._Bundesliga

Crazy to see Schalke currently doing so badly. Had a fair few runs in the Champions League not long ago, but have started to yo-yo a bit, but worse this year, they are currently 3rd bottom in the second tier and starting to get cut adrift a bit from the non relegation type spots, lost 3-0 today their 4th defeat in a row. They have still got over 60,000 in all 4 league matches this season, which is impressive.

Obviously a rival to Dortmund, and Gelsenkirchen is a twin city of Newcastle.

29 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Yeah I’m amazed Villa and Albion aren’t a full on derby - you can see Villa Park a few mins after coming onto the motorway from where the Albion ground is

That's a good example of where it gets complex.

If you are say, 50 something and grew up north Brum, you'll probably hate Albion as they were our original derby, going back to the formation of the league. Some of our fans that side of town loathe them. I am in that age group, but grew up south Birmingham, where it was all about loathing Blues. The only Albion fan i ever really encountered as a kid was one of my uncles!

Another complicating factor - we attract miles more support outside Brum than say Albion or Blues, down the M40 and the M5 corridors. It's a totally different dynamic than being a Leeds or a Newcastle.

32 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Isn’t the Hawthorns closer to Villa Park than St Andrews?

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Lyon absolutely dogshit this season. Gonna be rock bottom after their game tonight.

Any idea how they're performing so badly? They have some half decent players, or at the very least players who should get them top 6 in that division. Lacazette, Cherki, Caqueret, Maitland-Niles, Tolisso, and Lopes are all decent players. What's caused them to be staggeringly bad?

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

Any idea how they're performing so badly? They have some half decent players, or at the very least players who should get them top 6 in that division. Lacazette, Cherki, Caqueret, Maitland-Niles, Tolisso, and Lopes are all decent players. What's caused them to be staggeringly bad?

He's absolutely shit. And they have a young lad at CB (alongside 34 yr old Dejan Lovren) who couldn't break into Crystal Palace's first team, probably something to do with it.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

13 minutes ago, 54 said:

They’ve been slowly on the slide for a while but I think a mixture of bad transfers making them weaker coupled poor management have finally caught up with them. 

Shame really as well managed they should be challenging for the title with PSG, OM, and Monaco.

Jesus, anyone not understanding what a shitty state Italian football is in just needs to look at the line ups in that Milan - Juventus game.

Weston McKennie actually starting games for Juventus. Moise Kean. Scezny in nets. Jesus. That's your actual Juventus, right there. 

2 hours ago, brummie said:

Jesus, anyone not understanding what a shitty state Italian football is in just needs to look at the line ups in that Milan - Juventus game.

Weston McKennie actually starting games for Juventus. Moise Kean. Scezny in nets. Jesus. That's your actual Juventus, right there. 

I don’t think there’s much wrong with Italian football. :dontknow:

PL has more money but Serie A is really competitive.