Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Excluding Liverpool, who were down to 10 (and eventually 9) and had a goal chalked off due to a technical error, Tottenham have dropped points in their 2 hardest games (Brentford and Arsenal away), getting maximum points from the rest is a great achievement, but it's very likely they start to drop points when they're on the road to Palace, Forrest and Wolves rather than Luton, Burnley & Bournemouth.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

14 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Excluding Liverpool, who were down to 10 (and eventually 9) and had a goal chalked off due to a technical error, Tottenham have dropped points in their 2 hardest games (Brentford and Arsenal away), getting maximum points from the rest is a great achievement, but it's very likely they start to drop points when they're on the road to Palace, Forrest and Wolves rather than Luton, Burnley & Bournemouth.

Dont think you can say they dropped points away to Arsenal, and they were on par with them for 90 min.

26 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They always start off well. Let’s see how the do from February/March time when they usually go and fuck things up.

We’re usually in Europe too.

You’re probably correct. We’re mopey bottlers who only win the easy games and if you take our best player away we’re not very good. Our defence is suspect, Richarlison is piss poor and we’re going to fall to pieces after the January transfer window. We just ride our luck game after game and the wheels are inevitably going to fall off.

Quite enjoyable though.

Looking forward to Ange getting a couple of transfer windows and a full pre-season. Everything else is gravy.

Just now, leffe186 said:

We’re usually in Europe too.

You’re probably correct. We’re mopey bottlers who only win the easy games and if you take our best player away we’re not very good. Our defence is suspect, Richarlison is piss poor and we’re going to fall to pieces after the January transfer window. We just ride our luck game after game and the wheels are inevitably going to fall off.

Quite enjoyable though.

Looking forward to Ange getting a couple of transfer windows and a full pre-season. Everything else is gravy.

I get that you are enjoying the ride, like we all do. I just think it’s very early days to start getting carried away, the same applies to Villa who went from being pre-season favourites to gatecrash the party (outside of ourselves), to being slated for losing to us, to back to being lauded.

We see it year after year, a team doing well early on, only for them to fall away. I think it’s too early to say anything so far. I’m still not expecting anyone to actually come close to Man City at the top. There will be real competition for the European places, but let’s not pretend that we have Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Spurs in a title race.

I'm not calling them out. They've only dropped points in 2 games, Arsenal and Brentford away. The point is that they've dropped points in the two toughest fixtures, and that their fixture list otherwise has been padded a bit by three of the easiest away fixtures in the league.

They've done great, but at this stage 23 points could be 19 if their opening fixtures were slightly less forgiving. 

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I get that you are enjoying the ride, like we all do. I just think it’s very early days to start getting carried away, the same applies to Villa who went from being pre-season favourites to gatecrash the party (outside of ourselves), to being slated for losing to us, to back to being lauded.

We see it year after year, a team doing well early on, only for them to fall away. I think it’s too early to say anything so far. I’m still not expecting anyone to actually come close to Man City at the top. There will be real competition for the European places, but let’s not pretend that we have Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Spurs in a title race.

:lol: Thank you for the warning not to get carried away. I will try to rein myself in and not pretend I am in a title race.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm not calling them out. They've only dropped points in 2 games, Arsenal and Brentford away. The point is that they've dropped points in the two toughest fixtures, and that their fixture list otherwise has been padded a bit by three of the easiest away fixtures in the league.

They've done great, but at this stage 23 points could be 19 if their opening fixtures were slightly less forgiving. 

To add to this, basically what I'm saying they'll likely start to drop points when their fixture list becomes more congested with mid table sides away from home. They're lightyears ahead of last year still, but it's generally those games where Man City rack up wins and run away with it.

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

Living his best life pre game calling Iraola a big pile of shit on the subtle.

yeah, it was a bit on the too much side of "they are shit so we took advantage" wasn't it :lol:. Too honest. 

Edited by Smal

5 minutes ago, Smal said:

yeah, it was a bit on the too much side of "they are shit so we took advantage" wasn't it :lol:. Too honest. 

Aye but fair play. He’s earned that right. He spoke pretty well as well. Was pretty impressed with him. 

yeah definitely. I think you can sometimes just assume those kind of guys are jobs for the boys proper football men, but that age might actually be over now. You seem to get found out very quickly if you can't do tactics ie Stevie Me and Frank Lampard.  

6 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Someone mentioned this the other day - it actually makes far more sense to have managers doing the analysis.

Football365 touches on this a little in this article:

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-premier-league-tv-rights-deal-sky-sports-tnt-john-nicholson

It's more about the product Sky et al are pumping out becoming less popular but it ties in  

9 hours ago, Amir_9 said:

This is Spurs were talking about, they will bottle things one way or another. 

I don't know. They've got some good players and there's a blend. It's easy to forget that at the time when Conte threw his tantrum last season, they were in the top four. And Postecoglou has the air of someone who can keep his own and his players' feet on the ground. And they don't have the distraction of Europe, which is a big advantage.

Maddison is the key. He's always been a class act, but now he's with a team that is usually better than the opposition and he has more time and space, he's creating havoc. If they can keep him fit, they have a chance.

I'm ABC - anyone but City. I just wish the Metropolitan media would tone down this love-in with Postecoglou. It's getting irritating.

11 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I don't feel like Spurs have many chips are down players still, some of the mopey bottlers from past seasons are still there.

They started last season well in terms of results (much worse performances) but when things didn't go their way then they really faltered. 

They had a manager who made it his mission to ruin the club's atmosphere. And he succeeded. Ange is the opposite.

And as bad as they were. They still finished on 60 points. If they can improve their tally by 15% they'll be close to CL football. 20% would guarantee it.

56 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't know. They've got some good players and there's a blend. It's easy to forget that at the time when Conte threw his tantrum last season, they were in the top four. And Postecoglou has the air of someone who can keep his own and his players' feet on the ground. And they don't have the distraction of Europe, which is a big advantage.

Maddison is the key. He's always been a class act, but now he's with a team that is usually better than the opposition and he has more time and space, he's creating havoc. If they can keep him fit, they have a chance.

I'm ABC - anyone but City. I just wish the Metropolitan media would tone down this love-in with Postecoglou. It's getting irritating.

Aye.

I think Spurs could get 80ish points at their ceiling. Keep JM & Son fit. No Europe. Out the league cup. Could exit FA Cup early. They are laughing. The atmosphere is great at that club rn.

Spurs have had a fairly easy start, like. There’s only really Arsenal away where they picked up a point that I wouldn’t have expected them too. Potentially you can argue beating Liverpool at home was two points more than you’d expect too.

Got knocked out of the cup a the first opportunity too I think. 1 game a week helps massively.