Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

What's this weird obsession with trying to act like you aren't rich now? I just don't get it.

You could have the fastest car in the world, but what does that matter when someone has come along and put 50mph speed limiter on it.

Just now, Kimbo said:

‘We can spend up to a point that ensures we’re not a serious threat to the status quo’, isn’t as snappy.

An extremely strange thought process. You spent heavily and have already broke into the status quo. :lol: 

You're already easily a better side than us and Chelsea and I'd say arugably better than Spurs.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Do you genuinely not think the rules are better for football? Well supported clubs like Newcastle will prosper regardless. If there was nothing done about this the entire league would have been owned by America, Saudi and Qatar in 20-30 years. 

It already is :lol: No, overall I think the rules are a bad thing. There was a natural process underway which just needed to shake out through the system. Sometimes these things take years, but eventually compelling responses evolve.

What we have now has just distorted it and entrenched the problems that were thrown up by the game's financial boom. It's quite plausible that without them, due to Man United's prolonged terrible management, your and Everton's roles would've been reversed over the past 5 years. Or Leicester's and their state of the art facilities, that I think I heard they are now needing to sell off. That role reversal would've been a reflection of meritocracy and given other fanbases a bite. Now I think about it, I wonder if FFP actually enabled the Glazers to still be at the club.

As things stand the competition is rotting from the inside. It's not fun or attractive. Newcastle isn't prospering because we're well supported. The idea that we might be the ones to break into the system is itself a problem. We'll be managing it by utilising the political tentacles of one of the richest and most influential countries on Earth to game the system and make our finances appear to comply with the ridiculous rules - while unflinchingly absorbing a decade's worth of gigantic losses during the 'patience' period. All with a view to the idea that once you're inside the cartel it's a license to print money.

I fully sympathise with any Wolverhampton-type fans being sickened by this - why the hell would they choose to be skittles in the caste system of a bowling game?

31 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Leverkusen were third the season before Alonso took over. After 8 games he took over in October and he finished 6th. 

Newcastle finished 12th under Bruce the season before Howe took over. After a horrible start he took over in November and you finished 11th. 

Ten Hag took over after we had finished 6th. We had went out of the league cup in the third round, the FA Cup in the 4th round and got to the last 16 of the Champions League. He took us to third place, won the league cup, final of the FA Cup and quarter final of the Europa League.

To suggest Ten Hag's impact was nothing like the others is simply false. To say we've gone backwards while the other managers have kept momentum going is undeniably true. 

He took over when we had like 7 points in 14 games. In the last half of the season (last 19 games) we were 3rd that season. With a very mediocre squad. The impact of the managers mentioned is so huge that it would kind of be like Man United winning the league in Ten Hags first season.

Edited by Erikse

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

An extremely strange thought process. You spent heavily and have already broke into the status quo. :lol: 

You're already easily a better side than us and Chelsea and I'd say arugably better than Spurs.

Chelsea are in a unique meltdown. This summer I expect our spending to be pretty restricted.

Anyway it’s not just about Newcastle, all teams should have the chance to compete for trophies, Newcastle are in  a far more fortunate position than most and we do have a slim chance of competing regularly. I’d like to see a far more even playing field throughout the league when it comes to player spending, but I don’t know how we get there. Historically, big outside investment has been the route to the top, but in recent years this has been framed as “cheating” or “financial doping”.

14 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Spent less than Man United since takeover (as much as 80 mill euros less in the last 2 seasons), while also starting out with a squad worth half of yours, and a wage bill probably also being half of yours. It's hard to become a top 4 regular when every signing has to be this good. If we've spent heavily when spending 80 mill less than you in the last 2 seasons, what does that make your spending?

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Spent less than Man United since takeover, while also starting out with a squad worth half of yours, and a wage bill probably also being half of yours.

With a revenue 1/3 of ours. 

26 minutes ago, Froggy said:

With a revenue 1/3 of ours. 

Yeah, which is why it's hard to break into the status quo long term, as this is what the spending limit is heavily based on. Our owners have to run the club way better than yours is run for a very long time consecutively, for us to have any hope of being a top 4 regular. Unless sponsorship deals gets us there eventually. Leicester broke into the status quo and then got relegated later.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yeah, which is why it's hard to break into the status quo long term, as this is what the spending limit is heavily based on. Our owners have to run the club way better than yours is run for a very long time consecutively. to have a change. Unless sponsorship deals gets us there eventually. Leicester broke into the status quo and then got relegated later.

With all due respect to Leicester, they're not Newcastle United.

The spending is based on revenue like you said, and in my opinion your revenue will rocket, allowing you to spend more and pay higher wages. The gap will close. It might be slow, but it will close. 

21 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think we'll continue to spend a reasonable amount, luckily almost all of our signings have been a success so far. 

What's a reasonable amount?

To align with the updated PSR rules we need to continue to grow revenue crazily year-on-year. With FMV, an academy 5-10 years behind rivals, not having a new stadium - the only way we can do that is selling valuable assets. 

30 minutes ago, Froggy said:

The spending is based on revenue like you said, and in my opinion your revenue will rocket, allowing you to spend more and pay higher wages. The gap will close. It might be slow, but it will close. 

So far our now sponsorship deals put us halfway to nr 6 or something like that. We will see. About Ten Hag - you went backwards this season and now he talks about patience. That's just an excuse many managers make when they can't get good enough results, to buy themselves more time. Yes, there were injuries, but still. Your fanbase has been asked to be patient for like 10 years now, haven't you?:lol: So, if in 5 years time if it's the same story with Man United, will they just ask for patience again?

Edited by Erikse

31 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It will grow, but i dunno if it can 'rocket'. We will definitely get there but we'll still be unable to afford players on man u wages for a few seasons yet. 

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

So far our now sponsorship deals put us halfway to nr 6 or something like that. We will see. About Ten Hag - you went backwards this season and now he talks about patience. That's just an excuse many managers make when they can't get good enough results, to buy themselves more time. Yes, there were injuries, but still. Your fanbase has been asked to be patient for like 10 years now, haven't you?:lol: So, if in 5 years time if it's the same story with Man United, will they just ask for patience again?

The patience excuse isn't being bought by anyone. Ten Hag is making all the wrong decisions and saying all the wrong things now and starting to lose support.

When he complained about injuries we agreed, as our defensive injuries are unprecedented. The issue now though isn't the defence, it's the gaping hole in our midfield, and the midfield three of Casemiro, Mainoo and Fernandes is full strength. His tactics are responsible. We can obviously get away with it to an extent when we have Shaw, Martinez and Varane at full fitness, but not when it's Maguire and Kambwala in the middle with Wan Bissaka at left back.

Newcastle have actually set an example and shown how you can be competitive and still control games despite a multitude of injuries. Brentford battered us despite their entire back four being missing. There's no excuses anymore. He needs to change his philosophy until he has the right players or he'll lose his job. Continuing to start players like Rashford and Casemiro with these tactics will be the end of him. 

Not sure how much it was highlighted at the time but Cunha's first goal against Forest at the weekend was absolutely sublime. Definitely in the category of "if that was a Man U / City / Liverpool / etc player everyone would be raving about it". Personally barely seen it mentioned but it's an incredible solo run and finish.

4 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Not sure how much it was highlighted at the time but Cunha's first goal against Forest at the weekend was absolutely sublime. Definitely in the category of "if that was a Man U / City / Liverpool / etc player everyone would be raving about it". Personally barely seen it mentioned but it's an incredible solo run and finish.

That's a striker that I would love to have here. I believe Cunha could do a job on the wing aswell when necessery. He would probably also be too expensive though. I hope we can find an exciting prospect for a decent price, because I'm not convinced that we should spend a large part of our budget on a striker when we have Isak, but that really depends on his injuries.

Edited by Erikse

I still think it's a bit early to be saying it's ruined :lol:

We will know more after the next 4 (all away but reasonably decent fixtures), but I still wouldn't put it past these twats going through on Thursday. 

They play twice in the league before City next do. That seems like it could be big, as one of City's 2 games in hand wouldn't be till they play Spurs in between the last 2 weekends of the season. They'll probably have one eye on 2 finals too.

Definitely not over yet and I think Arsenal losing sort of let Liverpool off the hook. 4 points and a far worse GD would have been hard to overcome in 6 games.

FWIW from the discussion on previous pages I can't stand Arsenal & especially Arteta, but I'm firmly in the anybody but Liverpool camp. Fuck them.

Feel like MNF needs sacking off like. Used to really look forward to it, and, the build up especially sometimes as they do talk about the weekend and jt can be interesting with who they have on.

However, the match they choose is always shite now, Chelsea v Everton is such a dull pick, even if they were both doing better, it's not an exciting game. Back in the day it felt like MNF was the big one, now it's obviously Sunday afternoons that are the top slot for the proper big matches. MNF just has a random shit game on every now and again.

Posting this because I was just thinking to myself about looking forward to finishing work and some football tonight and realises it's a shit game and looking back at most of them this season, its dull as fuck. Games are usually rubbish too.

Sunday is the best day for football.

i do think as we head towards May - Monday is better. More likely to spend Sunday afternoons outdoors as the weather improves.

From a TV perspective.

Edited by The College Dropout