Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

nobody would've had any complaints about the PSG result and them going through had they done so fairly 

the refs were all stood down by uefa the next day, it was a farce of a decision 

16 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Why not? You're the king of "shoulds." "Should be 4 to Bournemouth." "Man United should have lost because Solanke shouldn't have been offside."

Well PSG absolutely battered you in that game (4.68xg - 1.40) They "should" have been 4-1 up. So should they have gone through or not? 

Man U fan using Xg to argue that PSG should have won 

fair enough so 

Man U should only have 37 points last I checked the xPts table 😅

23 minutes ago, duo said:

Two teams in the Semi who we held our own against

I think we were soundly beaten by Dortmund in both games tbf.

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

Dortmund pushed our shit in conprehensively.

Just now, Ginola14 said:

Man U fan using Xg to argue that PSG should have won 

fair enough so 

Man U should only have 37 points last I checked the xPts table 😅

My entire point. :lol: you don't need to tell me how shit we are.

But I read on here every week how the other team "should" be 4 and 5 up. That we "should" have lost but fluked a win. Or we "should" be behind because someone was offside when they shouldn't have been (the most hilarious one). 

PSG "should" have won. By a couple of goals at least. But they didn't. So did Newcastle deserve to go through due to defensive resilience or did they deserve to go out as they were massively outplayed throughout the 98 mins? 

The ask yourself, when we've been outplayed but kept a clean sheet and nicked a goal. Are we lucky, or defensively resilient and deserve to be where we are in the table? 

:trippier:

9 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

nobody would've had any complaints about the PSG result and them going through had they done so fairly 

the refs were all stood down by uefa the next day, it was a farce of a decision 

Absolutely spot on.

5 minutes ago, Sima said:

We had our chances against Dortmund at St James 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

But I read on here every week how the other team "should" be 4 and 5 up. That we "should" have lost but fluked a win. Or we "should" be behind because someone was offside when they shouldn't have been (the most hilarious one). 

PSG "should" have won. By a couple of goals at least. But they didn't. So did Newcastle deserve to go through due to defensive resilience or did they deserve to go out as they were massively outplayed throughout the 98 mins? 

The ask yourself, when we've been outplayed but kept a clean sheet and nicked a goal. Are we lucky, or defensively resilient and deserve to be where we are in the table? 

on balance of play they absolutely deserved to win 

but they only got a draw after a bollox decision in the 98th minute 

therefore managed to go through unfairly 

that's the reason I think most are saying they shouldn't be here 

4 minutes ago, duo said:

We had our chances against Dortmund at St James 

I think they had a few levels to go up.

They beat us at their place without breaking a sweat.

Of course everyone says "should" or "shouldn't" based on perceived luck or misfortune. However the reality is that luck doesn't exist. Newcastle "should" have won vs PSG because they weren't lucky to be ahead - they had a game plan, they stuck to it and it "should" have worked because on the day, PSG didn't have enough to break us down.

They went out as a result of either a) Cheating or b) Terrible officiating.

xG is a pile of wank stat, really, they all are except for goals. They're indicators of how a game has been played and nothing else.

Newcastle had what, 23% possession vs Spurs at the weekend and absolutely dicked them 4 - 0.

Edited by Heron

45 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Well PSG absolutely battered you in that game (4.68xg - 1.40) They "should" have been 4-1 up. So should they have gone through or not? 

For a lot of the game this was true but this interpretation is not correct. The accumulative xG doesn’t tell you about the variance or the game state, so you can’t derive an implied scoreline. You are, for example, much more likely to score 0 goals from 468 shots of 0.01 xG vs 5 of .936 xG (close to 10000x more likely). The accumulation was also conditional on PSG failing to score. Should they have scored, their number doesn’t end up so high.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Mad how times change. I'm now hoping 2 German teams win the Champions League.

I was desperate for one to win it 1999. 

54 minutes ago, Sima said:

They were the only team in the group we looked out of our depth against in terms of European experience. On paper the easiest opponents we had but they were very savvy. 

2 minutes ago, Bintang said:

They were the only team in the group we looked out of our depth against in terms of European experience. On paper the easiest opponents we had but they were very savvy. 

Every inch a top European side with bags of experience at that level. We're a good few years away from that yet.

This ref fucked us in Paris. I really don’t give a single fuck about what anyone says in his favor. Inserts himself into the game. 

Froggy, stop. 

3 hours ago, Froggy said:

I get your point, but there's a big difference between riding some good fortune in a single game (away to a good team no less) and over-performing all of the underlying stats for two years running.

If I was a Man Utd fan I simply wouldn’t be this angry about a team who aren’t you’re rivals getting a draw away at a team who also aren’t your rivals but play abroad in a competition my own team utterly debased themselves in, many months after the event ahead of an FA cup semi final we are absolute favourites to win but there we are. :dontknow: