Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

I still remember on the bbc liveblog one year in the depths of Mike Ashley's reign an arsenal fan wrote in to say "if Newcastle fans think they've been on a rollercoaster ride, try being an Arsenal fan!"

Eeer what steadily finishing in the top 4 every year? Was bafflingly self absorbed after we'd got relegated a couple times...

Not sure which match to watch tonight. Bayern vs Real speaks for itslef, but Coventry vs Ipswich is massive. If Ipswich can get a point then they will be like 90% likely to get automatic promotion, but if they lose then it will probably flip the other way, and I can't see them getting through the playoffs if they do miss out on automatic.

I doubt Southampton will offer much resistance against Leeds on the final day with Leeds being a potential playoff final opponent, so really important for Ipswich to get something tonight to keep it in their hands.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

Not sure which match to watch tonight. Bayern vs Real speaks for itslef, but Coventry vs Ipswich is massive. If Ipswich can get a point then they will be like 90% likely to get automatic promotion, but if they lose then it will probably flip the other way, and I can't see them getting through the playoffs if they do miss out on automatic.

I doubt Southampton will offer much resistance against Leeds on the final day with Leeds being a potential playoff final opponent, so really important for Ipswich to get something tonight to keep it in their hands.

I’m going to watch Cardiff Ipswich, feels like there’s more riding on it. Will switch if it’s awful quality though 

13 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Vardy with 18 league goals at 37 years old from 17 starts and 17 sub apps. What a guy.

Guessing he's retiring end of this season? Would be a nice way to go out.

I really hope he stays for another season, absolutely love him as a player. 

Goal for Ipswich. VAR has its place, but its a much better watch when you know it can't be ruled out if it wasn't instantly disallowed. Ipswich would have been sweating there.

How many do Bayern need to win by to make you believe they'll win over both legs?

I'm going with 5-0. Anything less and Real Madrid will somehow win I reckon. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

How good was Steve McManaman as a player?

He was at Real Madrid during the Galacticos era but you rarely see his name mentioned in best England players. Too young to have seen him play

Just now, joeyt said:

He was at Real Madrid during the Galacticos era but you rarely see his name mentioned in best England players. Too young to have seen him play

I never thought he was anything special. Worked hard and had good technique. Remember Real signed Thomas Gravesen around then too, they made some odd signings to play alongside the elite.

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

He was really good. Very good, direct and technical dribbler, but not always clinical in front of goal. When he went to Real Madrid there was a bit of a 'him?' reaction from most people I think, but he did very well IIRC and scored a cracker in the Champions League final.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How good was Steve McManaman as a playedr?

He reminded me of Chris Waddle from the limited exposure I had of waddle, and old school dribbler, the same kind of build as well but faster I think.

Huddersfield are on the brink of relegation, like 99.99% certain. On Championship Manager you could probably cheat to keep them up by 'Adding New Managers', but realistically they are gone as they need a 16 goal swing with Plymouth on the final day. What do you think would be the biggest swing needed where some fans would have doubts in their mind? like say an 8 goal swing where one wins 4-0 and one loses 4-0.

They haven't got an (R) next to their name, but seeing as it's only Ipswich or Leeds who can finish 2nd, I'd imagine many Huddersfield fans would happily see their side lose Ipswich on Saturday if it meant the playoffs for Leeds.

Edited by Paullow