Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Can I have a conversation with that man in peace.

Why are you always concerning yourself with what I'm doing man?

All good at my end, for what it's worth I agree that he should stay at Brighton but history tells you that he will probably go. Brighton is a stepping stone for players, managers and staff, the hard part is picking the right time to go. 

Then money comes into the equation.

De Zerbi could get a top Job in Italy this summer. If not - a better job then Spurs will open up in the PL. 

Tony Bloom owns a a Belgium team I had never heard of that was in the Conference league QF’s. He’s one of the best owners in Europe.  He’s not going to sack DeZerbi. He gave Hughton 2 years in the PL and only sacked him in the summer. He kept Potter for the 2 years where results were only marginally better than Hughton.  Bloom has taken Brighton from L1 to Europa League most likely.  He’s the architect of their success. 

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

That Bloom that owns them is plenty rich. There's a reason they get absolutely top money for all of their assets. And then they use that money they rob off the top clubs to only get better. The owner is very very switched on and knows what he is doing. I'm not sure this thing is going to crumble at all. 

They're reputation is going to rise after this season and being in Europe now, and more players are going to want to go there and so they will likely now start adding even better first team players to go with the young talent coming through.

Southampton says hi:hello:

@Village Idiot How big of a deal is it that you're winning the title at Espanyol? Is it as big as if we where to win the title at the Stadium of Light? 

Or is it not that fierce a rivalry, and winning the title at Madrid would be a much more sought after feat.

59 minutes ago, Ben said:

All good at my end, for what it's worth I agree that he should stay at Brighton but history tells you that he will probably go. Brighton is a stepping stone for players, managers and staff, the hard part is picking the right time to go. 

Then money comes into the equation.

Lets see what happens. I think he'll be there next season.

Also think Brighton will continue doing what they are after he's gone anyway.

I do think there is something in the fact that the best run club (Normally a smaller club punching above their weight for a period of time) of an era end up being found out, and then slowly will fall back away, and I think that will eventually in a season or two happen to Brighton ( I hope it doesn't, give me Brighton continually finishing in the top 6 over Chelsea or Liverpool any day of the week). 

Case and point being Leicester, it wasn't 2/3 years ago they where the envy of most fans, and now they're in massive debt and about to be relegated, it can all change in an instant.

17 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Don't think Southampton were anywhere near as well setup as Brighton are.

This.

At Southampton there seemed to be no succession pathway for players once they'd become Liverpool's feeder team.

Brighton seem to look better off every time they sell a player [emoji38]. It's a slick operation for sure.

This buy to sell model has worked for short periods for various clubs - problem is it gets harder every year.

the clubs they sign from demand bigger fees, your scouts get poached, and if you make a few cock ups youre lumbered with players you can’t shift and you miss out on the massive transfer fees that fund the club. It’s very very difficult to find a Mac Allister every year; Leicester never found another Kante, Southampton never found another VDV

Brightons challenge is to do what Leicester and Southampton failed to do and transition to a EL team that can keep good players permanently and just occasionally lose a star.

17 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

This buy to sell model has worked for short periods for various clubs - problem is it gets harder every year.

the clubs they sign from demand bigger fees, your scouts get poached, and if you make a few cock ups youre lumbered with players you can’t shift and you miss out on the massive transfer fees that fund the club. It’s very very difficult to find a Mac Allister every year; Leicester never found another Kante, Southampton never found another VDV

Brightons challenge is to do what Leicester and Southampton failed to do and transition to a EL team that can keep good players permanently and just occasionally lose a star.

I understand, but they are not just a standard buy to sell operation. There is a whole system in place that has been running for ages now.

A lot of the future players are already in house being nurtured from a young age. On top of that they are making massive profits on the players they sell, but continue to buy high quality players at the lower rates like they always have and so they can afford to buy loads of them with the money they make and it's no disaster if a few don't work out.

Looks like they are now going to be able to buy a few more established high end talents like they have just done with Joao Pedro, which wasn't a typical style of purchase for them perhaps.

I think they are likely to improve if anything, with all the money they are raking in.

fbdd693401ff0bcd964825c21d0c15c7.png

Hard to keep players if you're not going to pay them well. What happens if a player suddenly gets paid loads more than the rest of the team? Hard to see someone stay competitive at the top long term if they keep losing their key players, even if they keep reinvesting that money. They might do well next year aswell, but I'm not sure about long term. Caicedo was begging to leave in january.

Edited by Erikse

Sad to see the Carlisle fans who were singing racially abusive chants in the home league game against Bradford getting it up them.

Also, maybe don’t be a massive pack of cunts.

2 hours ago, 54 said:

@Village Idiot How big of a deal is it that you're winning the title at Espanyol? Is it as big as if we where to win the title at the Stadium of Light? 

Or is it not that fierce a rivalry, and winning the title at Madrid would be a much more sought after feat.

In short, it's a big deal for Espanyol and for Barcelona...not so much.

There isn't really an equivalent here in the UK. Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in Europe (possibly the biggest on a local level) while Espanyol and Espanyol have basically always been in their shadow. 

Although the two clubs were formed ay much the same time, their histories and culture are very different. Barcelona were leftist, anti-authoritarian, separatist. Espanyol were broadly compliant to the central authoritarian government. 

Of course Real Madrid have been Barcelona's real rivals for the last century because they are the only club of similar size in Spain but also because it was Franco's club (the oppressor of Bcn) and the club of the establishment.

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

Southampton says hi:hello:

Ownership matters a lot. For Southampton, all the foundations of their impressive way of doing things were done by Nicola Cortese under the ownership of Markus Liebherr. Unfortunately, Liebherr passed away in 2010 and his daughter took over the club reluctantly. His daughter continued the tradition but did not have the same vision or commitment as her dad. So while Southampton was impressive from 2010 onwards, behind the scenes, people started to leave culminating in Cortese leaving around 2014. After that Poch left and it has been a gentle way down culminating in this season.

Unless Tony Bloom sells, I believe Brighton will be fine. He seems really committed to their way of doing things. Yes, they might get one or two transfers wrong and in the process might get relegated. But I think in 10 years' time, they will be established as a top-level club unless Bloom sells or loses interest. 

2 hours ago, 54 said:

I do think there is something in the fact that the best run club (Normally a smaller club punching above their weight for a period of time) of an era end up being found out, and then slowly will fall back away, and I think that will eventually in a season or two happen to Brighton ( I hope it doesn't, give me Brighton continually finishing in the top 6 over Chelsea or Liverpool any day of the week). 

Case and point being Leicester, it wasn't 2/3 years ago they where the envy of most fans, and now they're in massive debt and about to be relegated, it can all change in an instant.

The mastermind died though. There’s non footballing context for the regression.  

1 minute ago, rgk_lfc said:

Ownership matters a lot. For Southampton, all the foundations of their impressive way of doing things were done by Nicola Cortese under the ownership of Markus Liebherr. Unfortunately, Liebherr passed away in 2010 and his daughter took over the club reluctantly. His daughter continued the tradition but did not have the same vision or commitment as her dad. So while Southampton was impressive from 2010 onwards, behind the scenes, people started to leave culminating in Cortese leaving around 2014. After that Poch left and it has been a gentle way down culminating in this season.

Unless Tony Bloom sells, I believe Brighton will be fine. He seems really committed to their way of doing things. Yes, they might get one or two transfers wrong and in the process might get relegated. But I think in 10 years' time, they will be established as a top-level club unless Bloom sells or loses interest. 

Agreed.  It’s Tony Bloom who is the main man. 

13 minutes ago, TomYam said:

In short, it's a big deal for Espanyol and for Barcelona...not so much.

There isn't really an equivalent here in the UK. Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in Europe (possibly the biggest on a local level) while Espanyol and Espanyol have basically always been in their shadow. 

Although the two clubs were formed ay much the same time, their histories and culture are very different. Barcelona were leftist, anti-authoritarian, separatist. Espanyol were broadly compliant to the central authoritarian government. 

Of course Real Madrid have been Barcelona's real rivals for the last century because they are the only club of similar size in Spain but also because it was Franco's club (the oppressor of Bcn) and the club of the establishment.

Was going to go to this game tonight but the ticket prices were silly in the end. Should’ve jumped on them when I saw a couple for €65 each. Kinda regretting it after seeing all the shenanigans ? 

Watched the first half nearby on TV. Barcelona never broke sweat. Second half must’ve been far more competitive.