Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

47 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

As a professional footballer though he didn't then have to then log in to each of these and stick an accumulator on after the game.

It's like being sponsored by Barclays is a reasonable justification for insider trading. I don't get the confusion over him being prosecuted. It's dodgy behaviour for someone to gamble on a competition they're involved with, simple as.

Would it be alright for referees to bet on games they're not refereeing?

Seems to me the issue is being used as a trojan horse to criticise gambling being involved with football.  Fair enough if that's someone's view but make that argument rather than trying to twist unrelated issues.

35 minutes ago, 80 said:

It's like being sponsored by Barclays is a reasonable justification for insider trading. I don't get the confusion over him being prosecuted. It's dodgy behaviour for someone to gamble on a competition they're involved with, simple as.

Seems to me the issue is being used as a trojan horse to criticise gambling being involved with football.  Fair enough if that's someone's view but make that argument rather than trying to twist unrelated issues.

Guess it depends if he has a gambling addiction or not. 

Would give my left bollock for St James to be like this with Blaydon races belting out for players to walk on pitch....

Was lucky enough to go to Hibs v Hearts with an account I look after in Edinburgh a few years back, Remember this Proclaimers song stuck with me as the passion was brilliant.

I get your point @gdm, the scale of Toney’s betting indicates an addiction. Hopefully, whatever outcome happens he can get support or can work through recovery himself as it seems pretty pathological the scale of gambling he was doing. You hear players all the time talking about how it ruined their lives so possibly this could be a good thing for him. I can’t really see how him avoiding a punishment could work as they have to stop people doing it, if it’s an addiction then maybe it will reduce

the term of suspension. If all of this focus helps to reduce the amount of

advertising, promotion and sponsorship money that goes towards football from gambling organisations then that can only be a good thing in my eyes

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

Would give my left bollock for St James to be like this with Blaydon races belting out for players to walk on pitch....

Was lucky enough to go to Hibs v Hearts with an account I look after in Edinburgh a few years back, Remember this Proclaimers song stuck with me as the passion was brilliant.

This and Hearts Glorious Hearts are superb.

https://youtu.be/gUeV4Ioot9E

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

It’s a class song for a football chant. Especially for an occasion like that. Has far more emotion attached to it than the Blaydon Races

35 minutes ago, gdm said:

It’s a class song for a football chant. Especially for an occasion like that. Has far more emotion attached to it than the Blaydon Races

Blaydon Races is never going to be a full crowd, chant/sing-a-long song, it was written nearly 150 years ago for a music hall, contains places loads of people will never have heard of has words that arent used any more. The only thing that really fits for a crowd to sing before, during or after the game is the chorus. That's not to say it shouldn't be played and played properly and people sing a long if they know it, but that song has a limit as to where and when its sung. 

Big river is an amazing song, imagine it’s tricky to sing en masse but this would be so emotional to hear sung out loud by the crowd 

“cause this is a mighty town 

Built upon a solid ground
And everything they've tried so hard to kill
We will rebuild“

Daily mail doesn’t have a clue how to attack Rashford. “Is he a do-gooder woke cunt or a flashy footballer who’s too good for the little man? Just get some pictures of his car in the next paper, that’ll teach him”

8 hours ago, 80 said:

This. There are rules, he broke them, got caught and now has to take the punishment. 

However it's nothing to do with gambling in football...he just happens to be a high profile player who's been caught out somehow. I would expect it's a lot more rife than known, but most are a bit smarter about how they do it