The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Learned last season that 10 points with 6-7 games left in the season can disappear quickly. The games will come often and we just have to avoid getting into a long losing streak. PL is not a sprint but a marathon.

Likewise getting points on the board early helps massively. Allowed us to still finish top 4 despite our mid season blip we had.

I feel like if everyone comes back fit soon we could easily go on one of those big winning runs that we had last year. Then it will be down to whether we can maintain while we have other competitions going on and hope other teams hit a rough bit of form.

We're 2 points up on last season as well.

I know it's not anywhere near an exact science but I like doing things like this, it helps me put things in perspective.

League:

22/23 (with 21/22 - with promoted teams substituted - and 22/23 final positions in brackets):

Forest W (20, 16)

Brighton D (9, 6)

Man City D (1, 1)

Wolves D (10, 13)

Liverpool L (2, 5)

Palace D (12, 11)

Bournemouth D (19, 15)

Fulham W (18, 10)

11 points

+4 GD

12 GS

8 GA

7th position 

Average of 1.37 points per game against median 21/22 and 22/23 league positions of 11 and 10.5

23/24 (with final 22/23 position - with promoted teams substituted - and current position in brackets)

Villa W (7, 5)

Man City L (1, 3)

Liverpool L (5, 4)

Brighton L (6, 6)

Brentford W (9, 9)

Sheffield United W (19, 20)

Burnley W (18, 18)

West Ham D (14, 7)

13 points (+2 on 22/23)

+11 GD (+7 on 22/23)

20 GS (+8 on 22/23)

9 GA (+1 on 22/23)

8th position (-1 on 22/23)

Average of 1.62 points per game against a median 22/23 league position of 8 (6.5 currently)

That is crazily high considering that even without Burnley and Sheffield United it only changes to 6.5 (5.5 currently) and the average (generally better when numbers are less extreme) is 4.85!

To put that in another way, 6 of our 8 opening fixtures have been on average Title, Champions League or Europa League challenging opposition. That's crazy.

Cups

22/23

We beat Tranmere away in the league cup.

23/24

We've beaten Man City in the league cup

Drawn with AC Milan away

Battered PSG :lol:

Injuries 

22/23

IIRC we only had Krafth and possibly Wilson out injured during that period.

23/24

We've had Willock, Botman, Barnes, Wilson, Joelinton, and Krafth out injured during this period

To summarise, we have:

2 more points

A league position 1 place worse off

A +7 goal difference 

Scored 8 more goals (in one match mainly obviously)

Conceded 1 more goal

The best xG in the league

Matched our league cup status

Added Champions League matches, topping a group of PSG, Dortmund, AC Milan 

Compared to last season, despite having:

Played vastly better opposition in all competitions 

Played more games

Travelled further

Much more injuries overall including with starting players.

A start to the season rated the hardest in the league by far*

Drawn Man City in the League Cup 

Drawn PSG, Dortmund, and AC Milan in the Champions League 

We're doing very well imo. Most of the signs are good and there's room to improve, less challenging opposition to play, and injured players to return.

Spoiler

23/24

image.thumb.png.0727d05e8bb4d8183eb018b41c428636.png

Edited by Kid Icarus

It's nice to see we're a couple of points ahead of where we were last season, that's promising considering how many games we've lost already.

Problem is we'll need to go more than just a couple of points better to get anywhere near top 4. With Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Brighton, West Ham all doing considerablely better than last year I can't see any scenario where 71pts gets 4th spot. 

To get Top4 will be huge ask this season. But we are not doing too badly. Sadly Spurs and Liverpool are doing much better this season. ManU on the other is not as good. Top6 would be great.

I think we just need to turn the draws from last year to wins. Lost points to Palace, Bournemouthx2, Leedsx2... 

I'd be very happy with top 6 and qualifying from the CL group and have a decent cup run. Would love a CL place like, but it's still early days and our first season with the proper big boys. To me it wouldn't be a step back despite potentially missing out on CL. Have to consider the extra amount of games and lack of experience with CL and so many games. Plus our squad isn't quite there yet when it comes to quality in depth. 5th or 6th would still be a great season. 7th would be ok/par imo.

Edited by Ikon

5 hours ago, Mazzy said:

It's nice to see we're a couple of points ahead of where we were last season, that's promising considering how many games we've lost already.

Problem is we'll need to go more than just a couple of points better to get anywhere near top 4. With Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Brighton, West Ham all doing considerablely better than last year I can't see any scenario where 71pts gets 4th spot. 

Have to remember though if all those teams continue to do better then some of the points they get will have to come from the teams at the top - it might mean that less points will be enough if all of the top 8/9 are taking points off each other 

Spurs had the easiest start to the season. Earned a point against Arsenal - fair. Beat Man u and "beat" Liverpool.

Id argue that the hardest teams to play this year will be Liverpool, Arsenal, Brighton and Man City. So they've played two out of the 3 and got a huge slice of luck against Liverpool. 

We've played 3 of those plus more of the current top 7. I think Spurs have been riding their luck a bit too much recently and will fall away. They started very strongly last year too, I'm not convinced they'll be there at the end of the season. 

Happy with our start, think we will be top 6 or there abouts. 

6 hours ago, Mazzy said:

We can actually afford to lose a couple more games this season as long as we turn some of the draws into wins.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely the amount of points required is fairly consistent, 5 teams can’t all do much better than last year without sharing the points around. 

Aye.

But a reasonably small swing can change things decisively. We got 6 points against Spurs last season. Despite how bad they were, if those 2 results swing, they finish 1 point above us.

Our biggest issue is that we are in the most demanding European competition and our rivals are not. Spurs & Liverpool in particular not playing in CL/Europe is worth at least 4-6 points. 

I've always thought we would do well to get within 4-6 points of last season and make it out of the CL group or go deep in Europa.

Edited by The College Dropout

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely the amount of points required is fairly consistent, 5 teams can’t all do much better than last year without sharing the points around. 

Exactly. That point was made all the time last season, but we were a top 4 team by every metric last season regardless of what other teams were doing.

8 hours ago, Mazzy said:

It's a bit of a stretch to assume all of those teams will continue to do that well - especially Villa and West Ham. Are Brighton even doing that much better than last year as well? It also ignores the fact that Man U are looking worse.

On 18/01/2023 at 11:32, Kid Icarus said:

The more you look into the stats, the more unbelievable it is like. 

Our rolling 38 game total is 76 points. That's with a team that regularly starts with 6 of the Rentford Rejects that were available under Bruce (Schar, Longstaff, Willock, Joelinton, Almiron, Wilson) and who Howe has turned, to a man, into high performing top-end Premier League players in one way or another. 

The 95/96 team, Keegan's dream team (minus Shearer) that included Beardsley, Ginola, Ferdinand, Lee, Batty, Asprilla, Albert, Beresford - a team of superstars that multiple generations of Newcastle fans have in their all-time XIs - the high watermark where the crest of the wave broke? +2 points +2 GD :lol:

Rolling 38 games
Pos Team                  P     W    D    L   GF  GA  GD    Pts
4    Newcastle United 38   22   10   6   58  31  +27    76

95/96
Pos Team                  P     W    D    L   GF  GA  GD    Pts
2   Newcastle United  38   24   6    8    66  37  +29    78    

This is our rolling 38 game total at the moment 

Screenshot_20231009_140453_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c14bbe404c529f41d3ae2607c0cd31ac.jpg

-5 points

-3 wins

+4 draws

-1 losses

+10 goals

- 3 goals against

+13 goal difference 

On our best ever season and best ever team's total. 

Still regularly featuring 6 or 7 Bruce-era players in its starting line up.

We've been a consistently 3rd or 4th place team more or less from the moment Howe got to grips with the squad. Remarkable.

Edited by Kid Icarus

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

This is our rolling 38 game total at the moment 

Screenshot_20231009_140453_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c14bbe404c529f41d3ae2607c0cd31ac.jpg

-5 points

-3 wins

+4 draws

-1 losses

+10 goals

- 3 goals against

+13 goal difference 

On our best ever season and best ever team's total. 

Still regularly featuring 6 or 7 Bruce-era players in its starting line up.

We've been a consistently 3rd or 4th place team more or less from the moment Howe got to grips with the squad. Remarkable.

Where does that put us in the league ?

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Where does that put us in the league ?

I can't display it because it's done by date rather than gameweek, so some teams are on anything between 36 to 40 games.

But it has us 4th, 1 point ahead of Man United, 1 point behind Liverpool, 10 points behind Arsenal, 13 points behind Man City. 

Every time I check this we're nearly always 3rd or 4th. At one point our rolling total dropped to 66 (that run up to the EFL final form we had) and we were in 5th, but we've been 3rd or 4th best for the majority of the time Howe's been here. 

12 hours ago, Mazzy said:

It would be an absolute rarity if it is. 70+ is a monumental effort, can't see Brighton or West Ham getting such a total.