The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

It would be typical Newcastle if Man Utd now went and won the FA cup.
With that said they're so terrible Man City must beat them. Surely?
We were the far better team than them last year as well yet they've got this annoying habit of pulling a rabbit out of the hat against teams lower than them in the table. Their results against anyone even remotely half decent this season are shocking, including the Galatasaray's and Bournemouth's.

Just hope that loss against Man U doesn't come back to bite us, but other than that we've done all we can. Conference league at the end of a nightmare season for injuries would be very sweet indeed.

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

Just shows fine margins, if we’d won at Old Trafford we’d have finished 6th

or held on vs Everton and beaten Brighton

Dropping the two points at Everton hasn't turned out to be pivotal.

There's a million sliding doors moments in a season with 380 matches, but I think we can afford to be glass half full, and say we've gained 7th when the odds weren't especially in our favour. 

But if you have to identify a moment which is most accountable for us not clinching 6th, it's Stamford Bridge. We only needed a draw. 

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Just hope that loss against Man U doesn't come back to bite us, but other than that we've done all we can. Conference league at the end of a nightmare season for injuries would be very sweet indeed.

It still would have meant Thursday nights at a random european club or nothing, only real difference is the quality of teams especially when the CL clubs drop in. I'm quite happy for us to play ECL and blood Miley, Anderson, Murphy etc. a bit more whilst it's also a much more winnable trophy than EL.

Every club has ifs and buts, no point dwelling on them. It might not be entirely in our hands still but to even have the chance we do of being in Europe next season is insane considering the season that has just come to a close.

Being on the lowest rung of the ladder will be good for Howe to learn how to deal with European football without the huge spotlight on him as it was this season. 

12 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Just shows fine margins, if we’d won at Old Trafford we’d have finished 6th

or held on vs Everton and beaten Brighton

But them Chelsea could say if we didn't concede that 93rd minute McBurnie goal to draw at Sheff utd, or if we didn't draw at home to 10 man Burnley, or if they ref stuck with his decision and allowed the Disasi winner vs Villa etc. 

We haven't been in 6th long enough to think that we blew it, and 7th is still pretty good considering where we were a few weeks ago, and especially with the injuries we've had. Just gotta hope next Saturday goes as most will expect.

Posted (edited)

I predicted 8th with the premise being that I thought Chelsea and Spurs would improve and Villa and Man United would still be in the mix. Then, all things being equal, we'd have some rough patches.

To finish 7th when those teams (Man United aside) did improve, all things weren't equal, and we did have some rough patches is very good. 5th and 6th were beyond our injuries, limitations, and away form, but we've beaten some serious adversity this season. Very pleased it's over and we can reset.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Are Chelsea Europa conference also? Or do they go Europa League if we get conference 

Europa League at the moment, but if Man U win the FA cup, Man U get the Europa League spot and Chelsea drop to Conference.

I think that's how it is.

6 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Are Chelsea Europa conference also? Or do they go Europa League if we get conference 

They currently get the only Conference League place that went to the league due to the League Cup winners already having Europe. Man U losing the FA Cup gives Chelsea the Europa League place from that, bumping that only Conference League place down one spot to us. 

Just now, Checko said:

Europa League at the moment, but if Man U win the FA cup, Man U get the Europa League spot and Chelsea drop to Conference.

I think that's how it is.

Correct.

how many points behind MU were we a couple of months or so ago? think it was around 10? 

so satisfying to finally finish ahead of those jammy bastards

should never have been that close mind 

18 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Chelsea get Europa League, unless Man Utd win the FA Cup, in which case they will get our Conference League place.

You will also notice how there will be no more mention of Chelsea not being eligible to enter Europe because of their spending now.

This club should always be in Europe, that's my expectation. Not so bothered about what flavour of Europe.

7th is a very creditable finish considering the shit we've had thrown our way. I'll be surprised if we don't do better next year.

It's also great that we ended with a win, puts a spring in everyone's step for the summer.

Now it's the transfer window silly season, let the fun commence...

8 points off 4th and 6 off 5th, in all honesty if we'd had Pope and Joelinton there for some of those games, and some rotation options off the bench in Willock/Barnes/Wilson for a handful of the games we chucked away I think we could've been at least 5th. Statistically the 4th best team in the league this year although I'd give Villa credit as they've been worthy.

Its a miracle we finished 7th after the injuries we’ve had but i cant help but be more frustrated about Wednesday now knowing that if we didn’t bottle it we’d be in Europa. 

9 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Man U are 6/1 to lift the cup. Happy news.

Also strengthen our bench for like for like and we can comfortably get Europe next season imho

Where do you see those odds? Best I can find is 9/2. I will likely stick a tenner on it nearer the time, but hopefully it goes up.

Even after this Titanic of a season, hitting every single fucking ice berg out there. We’ve finished only 8 points off a Champions league spot. Imo there’s absolutely no question that if we have had even just big Joe and pope fit all season, we get that 4th spot.