The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

If Man City win the cup and we enter the Europa conference league, is there a playoff or do we just enter straight into the league.

Just now, Scoot said:

If Man City win the cup and we enter the Europa conference league, is there a playoff or do we just enter straight into the league.

Playoff

38 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Dunno about the pots but yes it's one big league as opposed to groups. Six different opponents as opposed to eight - three at home, three away. 

We'll enter at the play-off stage, 22nd and 29th August. Draw on 5th August. First league stage game is 3rd October. 

:anguish:

Hadn't realised this ludicrous new CL format had trickled down into the other two competitions as well. 

We will almost definitely be seeded. Our coefficient is already higher than Hoffenheim, Lens etc. I only see Betis so far as one with a higher coefficient.

Good thing with the play-offs is that they're after the season starts, so there will be no way we'll be half cooked which could cause issues.

I'm fully expecting Man United to win the final on Saturday, it'll be the most Newcastle thing possible :lol:

21 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

If Arsenal had beaten us at SJP, they’d have won the league.

They should have tried to score then , instead of having one shot on target and playing for a draw .

1 hour ago, NEEJ said:

:anguish:

Hadn't realised this ludicrous new CL format had trickled down into the other two competitions as well. 

Fingers crossed it only lasts a season or two. It's fucking shit.

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Fingers crossed it only lasts a season or two. It's fucking shit.

The new format was designed to prevent ESL from ever getting launched. They filled the calendar with games so there’s simply no place for it. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Dunno about the pots but yes it's one big league as opposed to groups. Six different opponents as opposed to eight - three at home, three away. 

We'll enter at the play-off stage, 22nd and 29th August. Draw on 5th August. First league stage game is 3rd October. 

Yeah, they thing to remember is that if we get into it, and obviously assuming we get past the play off round, we’ll play the same amount of games as an English team in the Champions League or Europa League will do.

With these new formats will there be no more of teams dropping out the champions league into the europa or europa into conference?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jack j said:

With these new formats will there be no more of teams dropping out the champions league into the europa or europa into conference?

Teams no longer drop down at all post qualification rounds.

Edited by 54

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Think that’s gone now yeah. I think the top 8 in the league progress with 9th to 16th having a play off to see who plays the top 8.

A chance to win any trophy is a good thing. I won’t poo-poo European competition regardless of the caliber of the tournament…one of the few bright spots of the Ashley/Pards era was that EL run. It would be a great opportunity to get the younger players match time and tournament experience as well.

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

How come champions league and europa league have 8 games but conference only 6?

Less teams I believe.

In reality I think this will be the starting point, test to increase the amount of teams in Europe. We’ll end up like rugby has done, where you have to be unlucky not to enter Europe. I can easily see the top 5 leagues having all their top 10 teams in some format of European competition in future.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Less teams I believe.

In reality I think this will be the starting point, test to increase the amount of teams in Europe. We’ll end up like rugby has done, where you have to be unlucky not to enter Europe. I can easily see the top 5 leagues having all their top 10 teams in some format of European competition in future.

All 3 competitions have 36 teams in according to the uefa website like

1 minute ago, jack j said:

All 3 competitions have 36 teams in according to the uefa website like

I think thats right and would make what someone has said above is correct about qualifying positions etc.  The only reason I think there's less games is nobody starts in thr group stage, unlike the other two competitions, every team making it to the group stage would have played a qualifier of some description.