The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I get Liverpool's run-in is nice but the idea of this Liverpool team winning 9 on the spin id a bit far-fetched tbh. Arsenal have won 7 in a row this season. City have won the last 6 but the probability of winning 9 off the spin must be tiny, even smaller still when you consider how flaky and inconsistent Liverpool have been this season. Sure, they could win them all but they will drop points in the next 8 fixtures. 

If they do win 9 or 10 off the spin to get 4th then you could argue they absolutely deserve it. 4 wins and a draw seals 4th for us imo and we're more than capable of that. They'll gain on us but we'll do it. 

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Why do they need to do that to finish Top 4?

Some are saying we need 72 points to finish above Liverpool, which implies they will win all of their remaining games.

Much like a couple of years back, they need a very good run coupled with a collapse from the sides above them. It's possible but not probable.

5 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

At least one team was eliminated today and it’s a very helpful one as Villa could really help us the rest of the way.

They aren’t eliminated. They dropped points and are 5 behind us. They need to pretty much perfect but from years of following the toon nothing is sure until it’s mathematically so. 

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

They aren’t eliminated. They dropped points and are 5 behind us. They need to pretty much perfect but from years of following the toon nothing is sure until it’s mathematically so. 

50 years man and boy. Don’t  fucking blink. 

17 minutes ago, Ace said:

Realistically they were never in it except for the most pessimistic. But today made it nearly impossible for them to catch us barring a massive collapse. 4 wins and a draw and they mathematically can’t, so unless you think we’re going to finish the season on our worst run of form in over a year then they will not be in the CL at our expense. 

Not to mention they play Man United, Spurs, Liverpool, and Brighton in their remaining six games. If they go unbeaten it will help us tremendously.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Realistically they were never in it except for the most pessimistic. But today made it nearly impossible for them to catch us barring a massive collapse. 4 wins and a draw and they mathematically can’t, so unless you think we’re going to finish the season on our worst run of form in over a year then they will not be in the CL at our expense. 

Not to mention they play Man United, Spurs, Liverpool, and Brighton in their remaining six games. If they go unbeaten it will help us tremendously.

you obviously haven’t seen this movie before 

I don’t think the failures of the past will derail this team, no. If we falter it will be because of lack of depth (either a key injury or two or tired legs into the finish).

I just don’t see the point in worrying about Villa as the odds of them being the team that finish 4th to our 5th are minuscule. If we collapse and finish on 68 points or less then we’re probably going to finish 6th or even 7th.

The old us didn’t do things easily. This is a completely new era.

We need to change our mindset on this or we’ll just get stuck in the same old patterns. 

We’ve gone from relegation fodder to a cup final and challenging for a Champion’s League spot in about a year.

That doesn’t smack of not doing things easily. We’re winners now, not losers.  

The usual picture at this pressure point of the season is for the teams that have over-achieved to crumble, and for the clubs with the better squads to restore normal service. I think we're seeing this with Arsenal and Man City unfortunately.

But I'm backing Eddie to defy convention and close it out. He has that combination of steel and calmness, but he will need the help of our home crowd. We'll have some sticky moments, and they'll need to be patient.

3 minutes ago, Cronky said:

The usual picture at this pressure point of the season is for the teams that have over-achieved to crumble, and for the clubs with the better squads to restore normal service. I think we're seeing this with Arsenal and Man City unfortunately.

But I'm backing Eddie to defy convention and close it out. He has that combination of steel and calmness, but he will need the help of our home crowd. We'll have some sticky moments, and they'll need to be patient.

This kind of ‘regression to the mean’, or return to average performance of the team often seems the way. That said, we were as good, maybe slightly better, results wise, in the last half of last season. So not sure we’re in the over achiever category. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

This kind of ‘regression to the mean’, or return to average performance of the team often seems the way. That said, we were as good, maybe slightly better, results wise, in the last half of last season. So not sure we’re in the over achiever category. 

We aren’t!! we are here by right. We are a bloody good side with a mean defence and high pressing attack. This is no accident. We are very good. Onwards and upwards :indi:

14 hours ago, LFEE said:

Why do they need to do that to finish Top 4?

They don't. They just need to win more a couple more games than us, Spurs, Brighton or whoever. It's not that difficult to imagine given their squad is still light years ahead of ours. The only way to close this out is win our games, which we have been bar last week's abomination.

2 hours ago, LV said:

The old us didn’t do things easily. This is a completely new era.

We need to change our mindset on this or we’ll just get stuck in the same old patterns. 

We’ve gone from relegation fodder to a cup final and challenging for a Champion’s League spot in about a year.

That doesn’t smack of not doing things easily. We’re winners now, not losers.  

We will change our mindset eventually but regardless of how good we’ve been - it’s still our first full season under Howe and new ownership so how we see the season out when there’s something to go for and the pressure’s on is still unknown.

I’ve seen some people say/hint that if we  win this one then CL is ours. I don’t agree. It would be looking very very good but no matter if we win lose or draw there’s still quite a few games to go and the possibility of one or two more twists before the season ends. 

26 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I’ve seen some people say/hint that if we  win this one then CL is ours. I don’t agree. It would be looking very very good but no matter if we win lose or draw there’s still quite a few games to go and the possibility of one or two more twists before the season ends. 

There's basically Spurs and Liverpool between us and CL for me. We can KO Spurs today, or at least not allow them into the to race. LiVARpool are still a threat with that squad, despite them needing to make up points. It's happened before so we do have to win our games to discount them.

Look, it’s completely within our hands to make champions league. And the only thing we need to focus on is ourselves today. Today is not the end all be all, but as long we keep picking up more points than our rivals then whatever the fk they do is irrelevant. 

37 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You've ruined Spurs goal difference here as well. Basically made it a 7 point between us and them and we've two games in hand. 

Liverpool are the only remaining threat to your good selves and to us. 

Brighton! 

Slim chance but they are the ones.