The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Even a top sixometer will look ambitious once we've got past Liverpool/City/Villa.

The worry is that the January signings will be too late because these will have effectively chcuked away our season by then. Twiddling our thumbs for a 7th-9th spot.

So disappointed in these guys.... a lot of goodwill and credit has rightly been earned over the last 18 months. But it's quickly slipping away.

Edited by Ketsbaia

8 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Even a top sixometer will look ambitious once we've got past Liverpool/City/Villa.

The worry is that the January signings will be too late because these will have effectively chcuked away our season by then. Twiddling our thumbs for a 7th-9th spot.

So disappointed in these guys.... a lot of goodwill and credit has rightly been earned over the last 18 months. But it's quickly slipping away.

Which guys are you disappointed in?  Serious question. 

Immediate names that come to mind are Almiron, Wilson, Burn, Dubravka. Got confidence in none of them, looking forward.

Gonna ease off Trippier a bit, considering something is definitely up with him.

Today, gotta say Longstaff + Bruno were poor. 

1 minute ago, Ketsbaia said:

Immediate names that come to mind are Almiron, Wilson, Burn, Dubravka. Got confidence in none of them, looking forward.

I still think they’re all solid squad players for a good side tbh.  The problem for me is that they’re not first team players in a top side going forwards (I think Wilson is that quality mind, he’s just injury-prone).

Its the likes of Ritchie and Dummett who need recycling out first - with Almiron and Burn being squad options (unless big fees come in). 

3 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I think our aim this season was around top 6-7. We are still in that fight, and hopefully will be a bit stronger after January

I had 7th in my predictions (or was it 8th? Will have to check).  Still think that sounds about right.  Never thought we’d finish top four this season - squad isn’t there yet. 

17 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

:lol:

Is it?

Relentless schedule, relentless injuries, physical stress, mental strain, poor performances, bad results

Its a vicious cycle

Last season we overachieved, this season we’re underachieving based on our now elevated expectations 

But as a wise man once said, long term progress means we’re on a rollercoaster at Lightwater Valley not a funicular railway in Scarborough 

Edited by bobbydazzla

3 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Relentless schedule, relentless injuries, physical stress, mental strain, poor performances, bad results

Its a vicious cycle

Last season we overachieved, this season we’re underachieving based on our now elevated expectations 

But as a wise man once said, long term progress means we’re on a rollercoaster at Lightwater Valley not a funicular railway in Scarborough 

Staveley understands that reference

If we aren't getting top four, I'd kind of prefer we drop out of Europe altogether for next year to allow us to focus on the league/cups with (hopefully) a fully fit and focused squad. 

Edited by Barnes23

1 minute ago, Barnes23 said:

If we aren't getting top four, I'd kind of prefer we drop out of Europe altogether for next year to allow us to focus on the league/cups with (hopefully) a fully fit and focused squad. 

Really? Rather that than, say, winning the Europa or Conference leagues? 

Imagine winning something. It drives me mad enough it being so long for us, it must be a fucking nightmare for you lot.

I'd want my team involved in as many of them as possible.

37 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

What a load of patronising guff, man, howay. This crop of players doesn't owe a thing to a single Newcastle fan. They've lost a few games and not maintained their absolutely obscene standards during a gruelling schedule and a crazy injury crisis. Big wup.

16 minutes ago, brummie said:

Really? Rather that than, say, winning the Europa or Conference leagues? 

Imagine winning something. It drives me mad enough it being so long for us, it must be a fucking nightmare for you lot.

I'd want my team involved in as many of them as possible.

I think the extremity of the current situation with fatigue/injuries is playing on my mind quite a bit in saying that, would hate for it to be repeated next year and yet I could easily see it happening with our style of play and another pinch of bad luck. That kind of scenario most likely rules us out of the reckoning for winning a trophy or reaching our objectives in the league, as we're currently witnessing. 

I think too playing on a mostly weekly schedule does confer an enormous benefit in terms of conditioning/preparation. The pull of winning a trophy is strong though of course, and can't be underestimated in terms of what it would mean for the club and the city. 

Edited by Barnes23

This is the best Newcastle United side I've seen in my supporting lifetime (was a little too young to appreciate the Keegan years and personally think this tops Sir Bob's best team). 

I'm going to enjoy the fuck out of this, regardless of dips in form along the way.

We'll make Europa League or Europa Conference League with a strong push in the 2nd half of the season - players back, fewer games, January reinforcements. That'll represent a steady step on our path upwards - last season was well ahead of schedule. We might even push for Top 4 if the likes of Villa are distracted when their European ties start to get harder, but feel that's a bit of an ask at the moment. Either way, Howe is the man.

Reminder, even if we only win our next 4 home games we'll be in the same position (points wise) as we were last season.

Wins and losses seem to feel worse than draws, but if we can push through this bad spell by leaning on our home form, then getting players back, stopping the rot away, then putting a run together, another 70ish point season isn't off the table.

Edited by Kid Icarus

47 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

This is the best Newcastle United side I've seen in my supporting lifetime (was a little too young to appreciate the Keegan years and personally think this tops Sir Bob's best team). 

I'm going to enjoy the fuck out of this, regardless of dips in form along the way.

We'll make Europa League or Europa Conference League with a strong push in the 2nd half of the season - players back, fewer games, January reinforcements. That'll represent a steady step on our path upwards - last season was well ahead of schedule. We might even push for Top 4 if the likes of Villa are distracted when their European ties start to get harder, but feel that's a bit of an ask at the moment. Either way, Howe is the man.

Agree with this. We’ll get more points in the last 17 games than we have got in the first 17.  

34 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Reminder, even if we only win our next 4 home games we'll be in the same position (points wise) as we were last season.

Wins and losses seem to feel worse than draws, but if we can push through this bad spell by leaning on our home form, then getting players back, stopping the rot away, then putting a run together, another 70ish point season isn't off the table.

Been checking this on my phone so working out could be wrong like

But that would have us on 41 points after 25 games

Last season after 25 games we were on 44 points, so 3 points worse, still not bad considering 

2 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

What has Burn done wrong ffs [emoji38] And Dubravka for that matter.

16 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Last season after 25 games we were on 44 points, so 3 points worse, still not bad considering 

Screenshot_20231223_221027_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d59f7911b09915a7c6948b7c49d1bdcb.jpg

The match is 26 because 25 was played at the end of the season.

From match 18 we got 7 points via 1 win, 4 draws, 2 losses. Taking us from 34 to 41 points

We'd be looking at getting 12 points via 4 wins 3 losses. Taking us from 29 to 41 points 

Getting knocked out of Europe and the Carabao has at least solved one of our problems, which was fixture congestion.

Obviously its the busy festive period that we first have to navigate, but the lads will have more time to prepare for games in the second half of the season.

Fate kicking us in the knackers again this season means these fixtures begin with City, Liverpool, and Villa, along with a must-not-lose on Wearyside.

However, the cup runs ending does mean things will get easier. I suppose the concern is that our down-to-the-bones team will put us so far behind that we won't be able to catch up.

We beat Arsenal, so we're not mugs. Our team is really really good when it is firing. Remember that and a Merry Christmas to you all.

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

Getting knocked out of Europe and the Carabao has at least solved one of our problems, which was fixture congestion.

Obviously its the busy festive period that we first have to navigate, but the lads will have more time to prepare for games in the second half of the season.

Fate kicking us in the knackers again this season means these fixtures begin with City, Liverpool, and Villa, along with a must-not-lose on Wearyside.

However, the cup runs ending does mean things will get easier. I suppose the concern is that our down-to-the-bones team will put us so far behind that we won't be able to catch up.

We beat Arsenal, so we're not mugs. Our team is really really good when it is firing. Remember that and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Merry Christmas to you too, you beautiful-bread named rational ranconteur! ? 

19 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Not bad really, but in this situation we would have to pick up 30p from the last 13 games to match last seasons 71p. Meaning 2,3p per game. Would be quite tough obviously.

I still think top 6 is very achievable.

Edited by Erikse