The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

We’ve gone that as well since Howe came in with tripps, botman, burn, Bruno, Gordon, isak, barnes - they were all bought for first team improvement with only a couple for long term.

This window we kinda made a departure from it imo. 

Livra and Hall are obvious, but Barnes is interesting to me as I see his role as to compete with Gordon for the left wing and thus not an immediate upgrade. 

Of course with Tonali we knew it would need time. The window looked great in a vacuum imo but our bad luck is kind of making it sub optimal. 

12 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I still think people expect too much too soon. Like complaining about getting Livramento and Hall. We are building for the future, not the present. We are expecting to be at the very top in 4-5 years time, not every year after one UCL-place. Our squad is way too thin and way too weak. We need 3,4 or 5 signings like Tonali or Bruno or Botman. Top teams have wage bill 2-3 times bigger than us, of course they are going to attract better players. 

We are not getting top 4 this season, but we will be about top 6-7 with Villa and ManU. And that is fine, that does not mean we have not progressed. We have.

:thup:

We're only four transfer windows into the new regime and were allegedly pushing FFP limits in the last of those, the squad is bound to be thin in areas. Even then most teams would struggle with arguably their best CB out, two first choice midfielders out for a decent period and now their first choice striker out. That's on top of injuries to key rotation options during a busy period.

I do think we can finish top four though, granted it's a tall order. I don't expect us to though, again I'm just enjoying the season unfold.

Sometimes things work out when you’re going through a tough time. Remember when Ciaran Clark got sent off against Norwich, it was the making of big Joe.

with all the injuries we have now, who knows it may be the making of Lewis Hall etc..Let’s just see how we feel at Xmas when all the players return.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

This window we kinda made a departure from it imo. 

Livra and Hall are obvious, but Barnes is interesting to me as I see his role as to compete with Gordon for the left wing and thus not an immediate upgrade. 

Of course with Tonali we knew it would need time. The window looked great in a vacuum imo but our bad luck is kind of making it sub optimal. 

It was two people for that position with ASM going and us having so many games. He was a 13 goals a season midfielder who I loved us signing at the time ans still do. It’s all about bad luck - we’ve had it recently injury wise but there’s so many over reactions on here (not you- your posts are very level headed) because we drew away to wolves. Since last night I’ve read we need to upgrade on Pope asap, Wilson is shit unless the ball is in front of him and lascelles and burn both need to be dropped. 

Just now, AJ9 said:

I expect todays results will not go our way. We’re in for a tough period but need to keep hanging in for a chance of Europe next season

Bit to early in the season to be talking about hanging on for a chance imo.

Thing with us is that we have some top quality but not enough. One thing that has got us to the extra level at times is our hard work and intensity. With Champions League it’s hard to keep up that extra 20% of hard work when we are at our best. A bit of fatigue and a slight lack of technical ability in many areas will make it tougher for us to control games better. For example look at Bruno, it’s easy to see that he is a level above our other midfielders when it comes to technical ability and football IQ. Trippier was poor yesterday but he’s another one who usually makes the correct decisions and has the technical ability and quick head and great awareness. We make simple things wrong too often due to not having that extra level of technical ability. Especially when slightly tired it’s easier to see technical errors. 

last season we took many steps forward but it was always likely that we might take a step or two backwards due to the extra games. Not the end of the world if we don’t reach the CL this season. Top 6/7 would still be a good season and allow us to regroup and build on from the solid foundations we’ve laid so far. However going forward now what we MUST do is to go for top top quality and strengthen the 1st team. Quality over quantity. Let some of current starting players become backup. We can’t afford to spend big money on backups that we don’t use. I was a bit surprised that we still haven’t signed a right sided attacker  but got Barnes for example. 

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

It was two people for that position with ASM going and us having so many games. He was a 13 goals a season midfielder who I loved us signing at the time ans still do. It’s all about bad luck - we’ve had it recently injury wise but there’s so many over reactions on here (not you- your posts are very level headed) because we drew away to wolves. Since last night I’ve read we need to upgrade on Pope asap, Wilson is shit unless the ball is in front of him and lascelles and burn both need to be dropped. 

No no, please don’t take my comments as criticism,I understand why the club has bought the way it has, I just wonder if in hindsight it was the correct approach I don’t think Barnes is a bad player or a bad signing, I like him and think he will turn out great. The issue is, we bought a guy who plays in the same position 6 months prior for the same money, could we have used our funds in a more productive manner?

Ive been pondering these questions since the window closed and I'm still not sure, I think last night exaggerates those thoughts because the squad we have, the gaffa doesn’t seem particularly keen to use and we have players who imo we could have upgraded who would have upped or overall level. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

No no, please don’t take my comments as criticism,I understand why the club has bought the way it has, I just wonder if in hindsight it was the correct approach I don’t think Barnes is a bad player or a bad signing, I like him and think he will turn out great. The issue is, we bought a guy who plays in the same position 6 months prior for the same money, could we have used our funds in a more productive manner?

Ive been pondering these questions since the window closed and I'm still not sure, I think last night exaggerates those thoughts because the squad we have, the gaffa doesn’t seem particularly keen to use and we have players who imo we could have upgraded who would have upped or overall level. 

I’ll agree on the not keen to use, he needs to trust more and get better at rotation in my opinion but that’s his biggest fault. Livs so could have at least turned in an equal performance to tripps last night and should have been given a game.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, while you don't want to give yourself too much to do, it's still very early days. To be expected though when fans were talking about the Champions League being in "touching distance" after 15 games last season. 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Maybe you’re right, I just think we need to still be in the mix after this next 4-5 games.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

I’ll agree on the not keen to use, he needs to trust more and get better at rotation in my opinion but that’s his biggest fault. Livs so could have at least turned in an equal performance to tripps last night and should have been given a game.

Oh yeah thanks for highlighting this aspect of my post I didn’t consider and want to make it clear. Eddie Howe is the best thing to happen to this club since Keegan imo and I mean that with no disrespect to Sir Bobby or Rafa or anyone else.

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

My posts are most querying the clubs transfer strategy than the manager, and are meant to be discussed and not with the intention of being critical of the club. 

I think it’s a legitimate point, I have the same questions although hindsight is wonderful. Like I said in the match thread, I was happy with our business in summer. Right now I’m questioning it because we’re not using them. Maybe that’s on Howe, but maybe we should have spent in areas he was more likely to rotate…

Personally I would have skipped signing Barnes and Hall and put that money towards a right sided attacker. I’m sure Hall will prove to be a good signing long term. Barnes is effective and has end product but I don’t see him as a starting key player in the future where we evolve and become a more possession based team. Once we get better we will naturally become a more possession based side and I don’t see Barnes as good enough in general play for a top top side. Not that I’m unhappy or think it’s a poor signing but it’s just not what I would have done. Hall is a loan for now though so it’s not quite as obvious financially I guess

Edited by Ikon

5 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

That’s the point surely. We finished 4th way ahead of Villa and Brighton etc last season and they’ve got more matches too. Spurs have lost their best player. The whole point of the transfer window was to prepare for those additional fixtures and try to consolidate our place, surely? If we finish 7th or 8th the owner will ask why the money was spent as it was on players who thus far aren’t able / being allowed to contribute. 

We finished 9 and 10 points ahead of Villa and Brighton. Neither of whom started the season with their managers. A 10% dip from us and a 10% improvement from them and they go ahead.  
The CL is far more demanding than the EL or Conference even if the number of matches are the same. 

Spurs have lost their best player but they now have a far better suited manager, a positive atmosphere and a better squad. And they’re playing 6-10 less games at the highest level.  Have a week to prepare for every game. I think they could get 80 points this season.  

I agree that the summer transfer will be looked at. I thought it was a risky one at the time but a lot of it is simply Howe’s style. 

It was always going to be a tough season for us. The way we play; 90 mins of high intensity football will always result in more wear and tear on players, add to the t the typical injuries and anomalies (tonali) that occur and we are deffo rowing hard against the current.

I honestly think we will struggle to make the top four again this year, but with two more windows next season should take us much closer.

Real important signings to be made must be an up and coming centre forward, a pacy centre back and perhaps bring minteh back in the summer to challenge for the right wing spot.

33 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Brighton drawing at home to Fulham, these results will happen all season. Far too early to panic 

The season still feels very new and like it's 'bedding in' to me, so strange things will seem to happen.

8 hours ago, Ikon said:

Thing with us is that we have some top quality but not enough. One thing that has got us to the extra level at times is our hard work and intensity. With Champions League it’s hard to keep up that extra 20% of hard work when we are at our best. A bit of fatigue and a slight lack of technical ability in many areas will make it tougher for us to control games better. For example look at Bruno, it’s easy to see that he is a level above our other midfielders when it comes to technical ability and football IQ. Trippier was poor yesterday but he’s another one who usually makes the correct decisions and has the technical ability and quick head and great awareness. We make simple things wrong too often due to not having that extra level of technical ability. Especially when slightly tired it’s easier to see technical errors. 

last season we took many steps forward but it was always likely that we might take a step or two backwards due to the extra games. Not the end of the world if we don’t reach the CL this season. Top 6/7 would still be a good season and allow us to regroup and build on from the solid foundations we’ve laid so far. However going forward now what we MUST do is to go for top top quality and strengthen the 1st team. Quality over quantity. Let some of current starting players become backup. We can’t afford to spend big money on backups that we don’t use. I was a bit surprised that we still haven’t signed a right sided attacker  but got Barnes for example. 

I think Barnes will be a good signing long term, but in the short term we are going to struggle to stay in there if we get a few injuries. Especially considering Livramento and Hall are also long term investments and don't seem to be playing much even when we are stretched thin.

If you’re judging anything on the results right now w/r/t to us you’re mad. We’re 5-7 points off where we should be but we’ve hard the hardest run of fixtures I’ve seen for us in 10 matches. Our next turn will be tough too. So surely there will be an easier run when we’re back to full strength