The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Had we kept our heads v Liverpool, West Ham and Wolves we’d be first place right now. There’s absolutely something about this team, like. How it equates over the rest of the season is obv anyone’s guess but I’m 100% behind this process. 

Just now, Kanji said:

Had we kept our heads v Liverpool, West Ham and Wolves we’d be first place right now. There’s absolutely something about this team, like. How it equates over the rest of the season is obv anyone’s guess but I’m 100% behind this process. 

You can’t really look at it this way mate :lol:

Just now, Ikon said:

You can’t really look at it this way mate :lol:

Sure I can. I look at those 3 fixtures and say for 70+ minutes we had it spot on, and over time Howe will continue to iron out the issues that lead to those points dropped via tactics, players signed in future, tweaks in system etc. 

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Sure I can. I look at those 3 fixtures and say for 70+ minutes we had it spot on, and over time Howe will continue to iron out the issues that lead to those points dropped via tactics, players signed in future, tweaks in system etc. 

We made mistakes, like all teams do and drop points because of it. You can’t just say what if. Otherwise you could say that most teams would have a lot more points on board too.  Well you can say it and think this and that but it just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Would have been different if we got say 3 penalties against us which weren’t pens. 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

We made mistakes, like all teams do and drop points because of it. You can’t just say what if. Otherwise you could say that most teams would have a lot more points on board too. 

In the sense of "this is how we can improve as a team" sure you can. We become one of the top teams by learning from those errors and not making them again. 

Just now, Cf said:

In the sense of "this is how we can improve as a team" sure you can. We become one of the top teams by learning from those errors and not making them again. 

This I agree with.

Things can change quickly, after 4 games and the 3-1 loss at Brighton, we were already 6 points behind them, we both won out next two matches, so the gap remained 6 points, after 6 games, but in the last 5 matches, they have picked up just 3 points (and no wins), whereas we have picked up 11 (and obviously no defeats), gaining 8 points on them and now 2 points clear of them.

Even lower down the table, I was just saying a few weeks ago that there does seem to be a better 9, and then probably West Ham would be most likely to finish 10th. 3 games ago West Ham were 7 points clear of Brentford, but Brentford have won their last 3, West Ham lost their last 3 and they are now below Brentford, so while they are currently doing very well, it could sharp change for the likes of Spurs and Villa too.

Looking at the overall picture I'm very happy with results and performances so far. We're going to drop points occasionally, it happens. But I'd say Brighton was the only truly poor performance and Dortmund and Liverpool the most disappointing results. 

We've come a long way and are dealing with the injuries exceptionally well atm. But I hope desperately that we start getting players back quicker than we lose them soon, because this surely can't be sustainable for too long with so few options to keep players fresh. 

I think 5th will be CL place as well, and we might have a chance to be top5.

Injuries can cost us a lot if it continues at this rate.

top3 imo is all decided between City, Arse and Pool dont think another club can get into top3.

United and Chelsea so far under expectations luckily, while Spurs and Villa are above it. longer term I would expect Spurs/Villa start to drop points but also Chelsea, United to be more solid.

Spurs having no CL/EL and no Carabao is a huge advantage as we lose a player to injury almost every game on average.

it will leave us in a huge fight for places 4-5-6th.

on top of that we got the most horrible CL + Carabao draw and English club ever got.

having said that Howe is doing immense job so far, yes that few games where we threw away leads that are important points dropped, but yesterday we needed to dig deep and get a clean sheet to win and we did it. more of the same needed, winning games 1-0 and 2-1 rather than 1-1 and 2-2.

The fact we’re here with the injuries we have against the top end of the PL + progressing to the QF in the league cup after playing both Manc sides and are battling in the CL is just really impressive.

6 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

That is how the fixtures have fallen, they have only played three teams that finished in the top ten last season so far and have Forest next.

They are very good at beating the teams you would expect them to beat, which is half the battle with getting a Champions League place.

Aye they seem like us last season...so far

1 hour ago, BShearer said:

I think 5th will be CL place as well, and we might have a chance to be top5.

Injuries can cost us a lot if it continues at this rate.

top3 imo is all decided between City, Arse and Pool dont think another club can get into top3.

United and Chelsea so far under expectations luckily, while Spurs and Villa are above it. longer term I would expect Spurs/Villa start to drop points but also Chelsea, United to be more solid.

Spurs having no CL/EL and no Carabao is a huge advantage as we lose a player to injury almost every game on average.

it will leave us in a huge fight for places 4-5-6th.

on top of that we got the most horrible CL + Carabao draw and English club ever got.

having said that Howe is doing immense job so far, yes that few games where we threw away leads that are important points dropped, but yesterday we needed to dig deep and get a clean sheet to win and we did it. more of the same needed, winning games 1-0 and 2-1 rather than 1-1 and 2-2.

Agree with most of what you say here, but can't look past the bold :dowie:

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

We have dropped 7 points from winning positions this season so far.

We only dropped 11 points from winning positions in all of last season.

Seeing games out was one of our strong points.

Which is why I loved yesterday that much more - the defensive strength and the decision making was spot on to protect the lead and they were flying around the pitch making tackles and disrupting play. To do that versus Arsenal was all the better. 

31 minutes ago, Kanji said:

that’s literally what I said. 

My point was referring more to your first post though. In the second one you explained it more clearly what you actually meant with it. I agree that we can take more points from similar games in the future when we fine tune. I just didn’t agree with the “we would be top now IF x and x happened” as in present time. Anyways it doesn’t really matter. Good times ahead and hopefully we can avoid dropping points late in games in the future even if it will always happen every now and then because it’s football and its not entirely avoidable :) 

I think there's an argument to say we threw it away to Liverpool, mostly because they had 10 men and we missed big chances to make it 2-0. West Ham and Wolves is different, they were difficult away games and we got what we deserved from those, Wolves especially, we were poor for alot of it.

There's certainly currently 4 teams who have been better than us this season so far, if maybe only because we've had such a difficult start. So where we are in the table isn't far off where we deserve to be but perhaps we should be 3 points better off for our troubles.

I think even the worst case scenario is that we finish 6th or 7th this season which would mean we drop into the EL I believe. I think we'd have an excellent chance of winning that thing next season if we don't get CL this.