The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

8 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Did a little predictor:

4) Newcastle - 67

5) Brighton - 66

6) Liverpool - 65

7) Spurs - 65

8) Aston Villa - 61

Finishing top four would mean everything, as I don't think we can bank on Liverpool and Chelsea having another mare at the same time. It needs to happen this season.

11 points from 8 is poor from us. 

Just need to beat Spurs man. That will be so so sweet.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Those totals would mean it going to the last day, which I would really rather it didn't.

Hopefully we get a decent points total over the next week, meaning we only need a win or two to wrap it up. 

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We've had 13 from the last 8. We should replicate that as a base.

15 is it not? Won 5 on the bounce.

7 from Spurs, Everton & Southampton will see us probably needing 5 or 6 points from final 5 games, including Leicester & Leeds. No reason why we can't get at least 9 from final 5.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No team is guaranteed to perform to CL level, someone else could just as easily have a nightmare next season. If you collect the amount of points you will be in the mix. 

:thup: I desperately want CL just because I want us to finish as high as possible and be back in the mix as soon as possible. But the beauty is this isn't a sliding doors moment in the way Ashley downed tools when we didn't sneak 4th with Pardew.

How many times do all of 'the six' perform to a genuinely high level in the same season? There's too many teams fighting for those spots and the rest of the league is continuing to close the gap thanks to the money swilling around so I can see unfancied teams upsetting the apple cart more and more if they make a string of good decisions.

If the club focuses on itself and what it's doing then we should always be in the mix. 

8 minutes ago, wormy said:

:thup: I desperately want CL just because I want us to finish as high as possible and be back in the mix as soon as possible. But the beauty is this isn't a sliding doors moment in the way Ashley downed tools when we didn't sneak 4th with Pardew.

How many times do all of 'the six' perform to a genuinely high level in the same season? There's too many teams fighting for those spots and the rest of the league is continuing to close the gap thanks to the money swilling around so I can see unfancied teams upsetting the apple cart more and more if they make a string of good decisions.

If the club focuses on itself and what it's doing then we should always be in the mix. 

Spot on.

I posted about it a couple of pages ago, the idea that the top six, Brighton, Villa and ourselves will all be firing at a high level is total myth. As Ian W says, the points totals mostly stay around the same year in year out.  

Edited by The Prophet

On 19/04/2023 at 11:38, 80 said:

Absolutely. Winners win, so that's what we're going to need to do. I sympathize with people who are traumatised by everything falling apart in the past. But we've shown no sign of that since January last year. We shouldn't get too caught up thinking about fellow good teams possibly winning their games in hand, that's just how it works at this end of the table. Take care of ourselves in the position we're in and everything will be fine.

Obviously if we take care of ourselves and we’ll be fine is correct but to say we’ve shown no historical signs since January is untrue. We got stage fright in the cup final and our “just don’t lose games” either side of it against Liverpool at home and Villa away have left us with zero points keeping both those teams in the hunt.

Having said that I’m confident we will win our home games against Spurs, Southampton and Leicester. Arsenal anything could happen but if we assume the worst that leaves Brighton which them being in a final or not by then might play a part.

As for the aways Everton midweek will be a bear bit as will Leeds unless somehow they are already relegated by then. Chelsea away has never brought us much fortune and they’ll want to put a show on for their fans last game of the season.

Would love more but seeing only 13 points as the pressure mounts and the prize is in sight.

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Obviously if we take care of ourselves and we’ll be fine is correct but to say we’ve shown no historical signs since January is untrue. We got stage fright in the cup final and our “just don’t lose games” either side of it against Liverpool at home and Villa away have left us with zero points keeping both those teams in the hunt.

Having said that I’m confident we will win our home games against Spurs, Southampton and Leicester. Arsenal anything could happen but if we assume the worst that leaves Brighton which them being in a final or not by then might play a part.

As for the aways Everton midweek will be a bear bit as will Leeds unless somehow they are already relegated by then. Chelsea away has never brought us much fortune and they’ll want to put a show on for their fans last game of the season.

Would love more but seeing only 13 points as the pressure mounts and the prize is in sight.

None of these are good teams though.

Leeds might get better but they are not any good. Everton might get better but they are not any good either. Chelsea are in literal disarray.

Under Howe we've generally been excellent against bottom half sides. Drawn a few too many at home this season, but we've only lost at Everton since he took the gig. 

Not all teams down there will fight, some are just absolute shite. Goodison could be a bit of a bear pit under the lights and I fully expect them to try and turn the game into a scrap, but Leeds have just conceded 11 goals in 2 home games. During the backend of last season, I believe we put away Norwich and Burnley on their own patch simply because they were poor teams. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Burnley badly needed a win and we smoked them.

True. But they were under pressure and we weren’t. Not against your point. Football is very different with pressure though. 

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

None of these are good teams though.

Leeds might get better but they are not any good. Everton might get better but they are not any good either. Chelsea are in literal disarray.

That’s very naive thinking. Chelsea are still a very good team. At home Leeds managed 0-0 against us and still one of the best opposition performances against us this season. Everton we edged it at home thanks to a great goal. 

Have some perspective on how good we are. You might think we are a very good/great team and squat them aside. I think we are good team that has it in them to beat them for sure but think they will be very tough.

Beat Spurs in style and that hopefully gives us the confidence to go on. Toil away to a draw or defeat and pressure is massive.

27 minutes ago, LFEE said:

That’s very naive thinking. Chelsea are still a very good team. At home Leeds managed 0-0 against us and still one of the best opposition performances against us this season. Everton we edged it at home thanks to a great goal. 

Have some perspective on how good we are. You might think we are a very good/great team and squat them aside. I think we are good team that has it in them to beat them for sure but think they will be very tough.

Beat Spurs in style and that hopefully gives us the confidence to go on. Toil away to a draw or defeat and pressure is massive.

If we don't get 5 points from Everton, Leeds & Chelsea we don't deserve CL football. 

Agreed that football is different with pressure. Applies to Everton & Leeds too.

I don’t think Goodison will be a bear pit.  It will be nervy on their behalf, just need to take an early chance and we’ll beat them.  They are fragile 

Edited by Andy84

1 minute ago, Andy84 said:

I don’t think Goodison will be a bear pit.  It will be nervy on their behalf, just need to take an early chance and we’ll beat them.  They are fragile 

I just wonder if the whole sideshow around Gordon’s return will make it a bit different to how it would have been without him. I wonder whether it will make their fans more up for it and galvanise their team a bit. 

1 hour ago, Andy84 said:

Think it will be exactly like last season.

Hate having to play them at this point when they'll get behind the team because its too late to offer them out, boo and hound the manager.

Gordon's presence will only stoke it and it'll be a rancid typical Everton game.

Far more fancy Spurs.