The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

3 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Why? West Ham have been shite this season?

They a had a good spell in april taking 10 points but lost their last 3 tho 2 of them were v Man City and Liverpool 

12 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

More nauseating that people think this team that has lost 4 games all season and has the best defence in the league is going to somehow struggle to get 7 points from the last 5 games.

I think given the misery we’ve endured over recent years I think we can forgive fans for being nervous.. until I hear the CL music I won’t believe ?

22 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

More nauseating that people think this team that has lost 4 games all season and has the best defence in the league is going to somehow struggle to get 7 points from the last 5 games.

It was equally nauseating watch Graham Fenton put two past us as our 12 point lead dwindle :lol: I’ve learned over the years not to take things for granted supporting this club. 

yes, it looks good and would be some collapse from here but it’s happened before. 

26 minutes ago, wormy said:

Personally couldn't give a shit what anyone not associated with NUFC thinks of our season and I'd be more than happy for the club to continue being underestimated. Would love to see another club upset the apple cart even further.

Can see where you are coming from but I’ve took immense pride everytime I see an opposition fan say what a job howe has done and what an achievement getting CL would be. Long May it continue

I think Man U will struggle at West Ham at the weekend, they’ll beat Wolves at home and probably Chelsea. Bournemouth might do well against them if only because they’ll be playing relaxed as probably staying up and Man U are awful away from home at the moment. I still think they’ll get top 4 though. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

If NO is like this, they must be pulling the Red Cafe lot off bridges.

Just been on, it’s genuinely could be this thread copied and pasted over there ?

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

If NO is like this, they must be pulling the Red Cafe lot off bridges.

Nah, they've won the Carabao Cup and are in the FA Cup final. Everything's cush  :thup:

20 minutes ago, gdm said:

It was equally nauseating watch Graham Fenton put two past us as our 12 point lead dwindle :lol: I’ve learned over the years not to take things for granted supporting this club. 

yes, it looks good and would be some collapse from here but it’s happened before. 

Knew a team that had lost three games by late February that looked by a distance the best team in the country, was twelve points clear with their rivals looking unimpressive that it didn't work out for once. Difficult to imagine anybody having lived through that with the slippers on now like logic just occurs in football.

Don't see why everyone is concerned.  Forget manu it's Liverpool and Brighton we need to worry about but two wins puts us on 71 pts with a superior gd.  Only Brighton could get 4th if they won all remaining games and that's unlikely especially as we have them at home in the run in.  I'm pretty sure we will be in the CL next season.

24 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Genuine question for those still not confident/fretting, what were yous like in 2001-02? Hate to think what this place would've been like after those draws to Ipswich, Villa and Fulham. :lol:

Atmosphere against Ipswich was actually very edgy, stunned and borderline toxic

Fulham was just an abysmal game

It wasn't anticpated that Leeds won all their games either whether through ability or luck which would surprse nobody with Liverpool.

Edited by Wolfcastle

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Knew a team that had lost three games by late February that looked by a distance the best team in the country, was twelve points clear with their rivals looking unimpressive that it didn't work out for once. Difficult to imagine anybody having lived through that with the slippers on now like logic just occurs in football.

Cantona was the difference then. 

Like Wolf has eluded to, given “superior” positions we’ve been in the past and not managed to see it through, I think it’s a legitimate worry that we may miss out on CL football this season. 

we’ve been class majority of this season and we should see it through but it’s natural to be nervous about the top 4 finish. 

I’m always nervy when it comes to the run in. Having been through that season when we finished runners up I think it will always haunt me. However, (no pun intended), this season feels different and we just keep producing the results. I actually think we’ll finish third and that would be unbelievable given where we were 12 months ago. We’ve got to try to enjoy it and let other teams worry about us. 

1 hour ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Would much rather them top 4 (with us) than Liverpool

me too.

1. fucking hate liverpool and have done for nearly 50 years

2. manu are too big and will spend stupid money even if they miss out on the champions league

3. liverpool not making CL will really affect their finances and buying power

4. fucking hate liverpool.

3 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Cantona was the difference then. 

And Schmeichel. And Ferguson.

Only Man City are anywhere near that level these days. 

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

Atmosphere against Ipswich was actually very edgy like we were blowing a great chance

whilst Fulham was just an abysmal game

At one stage after one of those draws 5th placed Chelsea were 1 point behind us with a far better goal difference. Think I prefer the situation we find ourselves in now just a tad. :lol:

Also out of curiosity I looked at a couple of the .com match reports from those draws to try and gauge the mood.

Ipswich (H)

Alan Shearer on Champs league qualification:
"It is in our hands. We have nothing to be frightened of. We have Kieron Dyer back, Gary Speed coming back and Craig Bellamy not far away so it is up to us to win our last eight games."

Villa (A)

Bobby Robson said:  

"We always try and win and would have liked all three points but this was a valuable one in the circumstances.

"It is better than nothing in our quest to get into Europe and to be three points in front of Chelsea with a game in hand is still a good position for us.

"We don't want to slip up but it keeps us on course. Our destiny is still in our own hands."

Waffle:

"So not a bad result and not the worst display I've ever seen, but it felt like a defeat walking away from the ground. I think the Crouch thing had unduly bothered me. The very fundamentals of life itself (gangly blurks cannot play foota) had been shaken and the chance to steal a march on chasing Chelsea had been missed, apparently through our own lack of adventure. 

Had that attitude prevailed in other away games this season we'd not have taken three points at White Hart Lane to mention just one fixture when we took the initiative and reaped a reward."

Fulham (H)

"As Bobby quite rightly pointed out, we have had a fantastic season and a UEFA spot is the minimum we deserve but our progress on the pitch seems to be like our play at the moment - one directional - and that direction is backward. The ability to break down teams through the midfield has seemingly evaporated and to simply blame the absence of Bellamy is ignoring the ten outfield players given the responsibility at the moment.

Our midfield is currently misfiring badly. Whichever permutation has been used in our current spell of point-dropping, the line-up on paper doesn't look bad. I think we'd all struggle to leave Dyer, Robert or Solano out of our starting elevens and with Speed returning, dropping Jenas to the bench must have been hard for Bobby. However, a team with two out-and-out wingers who refuse to get stuck in leaves us looking very weak against teams like Fulham, Villa, Ipswich or even thinking back to Blackburn and Charlton.

"If we don't get 4th spot - which still looks an odds on bet that we will, every time I look at the fixtures and league table - then the blame needs to be shouldered by many, not least those who refuse to encourage the team on cold Monday night's when we're having an off day. Do you think the players are lying when they talk about being motivated by the crowd? Do you think they're just looking for an easy life when they suggest that booing doesn't help them? I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that even after Fulham scored, the crowd could have lifted the lads to go on and win that game. Instead we threw away the alleged one-goal lead that our "magnificent 50,000 crowd" gives us.

"We only sing when we're 3-0 down" should become our anthem. "We're Geordies we're mental, we're off our f***in' heads". Aye, because we never use our strongest asset when it's needed most - when the lads are having a bad day and when we need a lift from somewhere. Cast your minds back to Old Trafford and the semi-final against Spurs. The crowd won that game with the fantastic support that greeted Big Dunc's substitution. Singing when you're getting stuffed 3-0 at Highbury or 6-2 up against Everton is wasted effort. Save it for the remaining games, if we're struggling against Blackburn, West Ham, Charlton, Southampton or Derby. That's when the team needs to be encouraged not discouraged.

St. James' Park gets more like Old Trafford every day. If we had a similar trophy cabinet then I could probably accept it but our club is nothing if we lose the unconditional support. Yes, I get frustrated and bad-mouth some players during the game but as much as I kid myself it's only me and the people around me who hear my rantings. It's just noise to the players. Shouting and bawling during the game is how I vent my anger and I won't applaud a performance that doesn't merit it - it's amazing how deafening silence can be at the end of a game. A chorus of boos is something different. 

It's been my belief for some time that the nation gets the media and politicians it deserves. Buy crap papers and they'll serve up more crap. Watch trashy telly and that's what you'll get. Moan that politicians are all the same and not worth voting for and.... you get the picture. I'm fed up of being told by SKY that we deserve something to match our tremendous support. As far as I'm concerned, the events on the pitch on Monday night matched our support perfectly.

With five games to go, we will probably get the league position that our support deserves. Let's make sure that it's fourth...."