The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

619 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

If we win 4 out of 5 between now and Arsenal then we're looking at top 6 going into that game. West Ham the trickiest in there and we should be capable of something. 

Then we're going into Arsenal full of confidence. Think we'll see us progress to where we were last season by the time we reach November. 

3 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Personally I think its rather silly looking so much at this head to head thing.

I think it's fair to see where we are compared to the same opposition a season on? We're coming into a few games in the next 5 where last season we couldn't break down poor to average opposition (two relegated clubs and Palace). It'll be interesting to see if the problems of breaking these down are still here or if we've progressed and can finish them off this time. 

Last season we drew far too many of these, if this season them problems are that we're still not as good as Liverpool and Man City, still prone to the odd poor performance away to European chasing teams (Villa last season for instance, Brighton this year), but we've put to bed our incapacity to breakdown the poorer sides, then that's a sign of progression and the like-for-like points difference season on season is a fair way to judge.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think it's fair to see where we are compared to the same opposition a season on? We're coming into a few games in the next 5 where last season we couldn't break down poor to average opposition (two relegated clubs and Palace). It'll be interesting to see if the problems of breaking these down are still here or if we've progressed and can finish them off this time. 

Last season we drew far too many of these, if this season them problems are that we're still not as good as Liverpool and Man City, still prone to the odd poor performance away to European chasing teams (Villa last season for instance, Brighton this year), but we've put to bed our incapacity to breakdown the poorer sides, then that's a sign of progression and the like-for-like points difference season on season is a fair way to judge.

There will always be outliers in the results of a season. Drawing at home against Palace and Bournemouth is not an okay result just because we did it last year f.ex.

There will also be a few result from last year that will be very hard to match, like winning x2 vs Spurs.

Edited by Displayname

15 minutes ago, Displayname said:

There will always be outliers in the results of a season. Drawing at home against Palace and Bournemouth is not an okay result just because we did it last year f.ex.

There will also be a few result from last year that will be very hard to match, like winning x2 vs Spurs.

Which is what will determine if we're top 4 material again and us not being top 4 again. So is a decent way of judging where we are season on season to the clubs around us. 

Draws against these clubs won't be good results just because we couldn't beat them last season. If we beat them though, it's a sign something is different to last season.

If we go on to lose to Spurs and West Ham away for example, those are signs these are going to be better. If we get to 71 points again we're going to be close to getting where we need to be. I personally think we'll draw a lot less, win 4-5 more and lose 4-5 more and end up not far off 70 points again. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

13 minutes ago, NSG said:

That loss to Liverpool is going to annoy me all season ffs. Win that and it’s gone from being an average start to the season to an excellent one.

I was watching that Liverpool game yesterday, and it was a carbon copy of ours other than Wolves were playing against 11 men for the whole game. They should have had the game dead and buried by half time, the chance where the lad couldn't decide whether to head the ball or kick it when it flashed across the 6 yard box summed it up perfectly. In the end, Wolves just didn't quite believe they were good enough.

We have to be humble as well. We got a great result yesterday, but looking at the starting line up we have to remember where some of these players were 18 months ago. Longstaff, Elliott and Burn have all done fantastic jobs but that recent saying we have heard so much is worth considering again: There are levels, and we have no right to expect so much from some of these players considering where they came from.

26 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

For me finishing top 7 will be fine, any form of European football next season should be the minimum. I think Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal will be clear of everyone by Christmas.

Arsenal beating Spurs next week would be handy if we can beat Sheff Utd. Would be nice to start clawing back the gap. 

27 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

For me finishing top 7 will be fine, any form of European football next season should be the minimum. I think Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal will be clear of everyone by Christmas.

I would have to agree. There were a few external factors and us over achieving in us getting to 4th last season. In the sense that people say it is harder to defend your title than winning it, it is certainly similar circumstances with us and getting top 4/5 this season.

Despite having a better squad, we have more games and more teams will sit back against us more and be happy with a draw at SJP.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Looking at the way Brentford packed the box last night and our lack of shots on target I don’t think we have put to bed our incapacity to breakdown these sides to be honest.

Despite all the talk of our poor start, if we win the next two games (Sheff Utd away and Burnley at home), for what my estimate is worth,  we will be above the points total predicted for the end of September, which would be compatible with a sixth place finish (taking into account relative difficulty of games at different stages of the season).