The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

620 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

14 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

If we win a trophy but fail to get into Europe, that will be an utterly ridiculous achievement and I guarantee "his bosses" will be fucking delighted to have brought silverware back to a club so long starved of it.

You get into Europe with a trophy.  

But deliberately prioritising Cup competitions in December when we are 7th is crazy. And won’t happen.  The best chance of qualifying for the best European competitions is still the league. We are still competitive in the league.  And that will be our priority.  

Deprioritising the league in December is silly I’m sorry. 

My hunch is Howe will keep playing the strongest team he can and hope players come back to ease the burden. If he does deprioritise a game, i expect it will be the league cup QF.  

22 minutes ago, Cf said:

Part of me wondered if he'd sacrifice the Milan game. We're dependant on PSG anyway. Booby prize tournament would add even more congestion. In some ways bottom of the group gives us a shot at the league in the second half of the season. 

He won't, and nor should he. But it's a conversation that might have happened. 

If we win, PSG need to win away at Dortmund. I like our chances.  I can’t see us sacrificing Milan.  If PSG are 3 up with 30 minutes to go, I can see us packing it in and subbing star players. 

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You get into Europe with a trophy.  

But deliberately prioritising Cup competitions in December when we are 7th is crazy. And won’t happen.  The best chance of qualifying for the best European competitions is still the league. We are still competitive in the league.  And that will be our priority.  

Deprioritising the league in December is silly I’m sorry. 

My hunch is Howe will keep playing the strongest team he can and hope players come back to ease the burden. If he does deprioritise a game, i expect it will be the league cup QF.  

I've not said a word about deprioritising the league. All I'm saying is if we win a trophy but fail to make Europe this year, the owners will see that as a success, certainly not a failure - none of this happens in isolation, they're well aware of the unprecedented number of injuries we've got to a squad that was already thin.

Howe will take us into every game in every competition with a line-up he thinks can win.

5 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I've not said a word about deprioritising the league. All I'm saying is if we win a trophy but fail to make Europe this year, the owners will see that as a success, certainly not a failure - none of this happens in isolation, they're well aware of the unprecedented number of injuries we've got to a squad that was already thin.

Howe will take us into every game in every competition with a line-up he thinks can win.

I assume you mean if we fail to make Europe through the league? We’d qualify for Europe if we win a cup don’t we? 

Just now, ryanegg said:

I assume you mean if we fail to make Europe through the league? We’d qualify for Europe if we win a cup don’t we? 

For any cup? If so I didn't realise that, is that fairly new? Can't remember any mention of us getting into Europe in the leadup to the final last year but maybe that's because we were already on-course in the league.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

For any cup? If so I didn't realise that, is that fairly new? Can't remember any mention of us getting into Europe in the leadup to the final last year but maybe that's because we were already on-course in the league.

Yeah, only the conference league if we win the league cup, but at least it’s something.

1 minute ago, ryanegg said:

Yeah, only the conference league if we win the league cup, but at least it’s something.

Had no idea - so thanks, learned something :lol: Feel even more that the owners would be happy with a cup win and mid-table if it came to it then (of course we hope and are still well placed to do a lot better than that).

3 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

I just don't see it , we have beaten you home and away comfortably on both occasion with half our squad missing or injured . You have scraped wins against the likes of Sheffield United , Luton and Burnley whilst losing at home to Crystal Palace ,  even Man City who have been well off the pace this season and failed to beat anyone else in the top 6 hammered you 3-0 away ,fair enough you might improve but absolutely nothing you have done so far this season suggests you will finish top 4.

You beat pretty much our entire second string in the league cup and you beat us comfortably in the league with 2 out of our starting back 6 available with Martial and Rashford jogging about. 

Once again, we've had 17 injuries this season as well with other players unavailable for other reasons. Newcastle aren't the only team with absentees, though at this moment your situation is the worst out of anyone. 

You're using away defeats against Newcastle and City as a barometer for why we won't get top four, so why are Newcastle in consideration after getting comprehensively beaten by Bournemouth and absolutely torn to shreds by Everton who most of you laughed at as relegation fodder this season. Injuries or not those results are extremely poor. 

Top four race will be good  To suggest we're not in consideration is extremely silly. 

Edited by Froggy

We'll be doing well to finish ahead of Man U - something that's never happened since the PL began.

Without so many games and injuries I'd back us, but as it is they're in a better position and will likely keep doing just enough without ever really convincing.

5 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

We'll be doing well to finish ahead of Man U - something that's never happened since the PL began.

Without so many games and injuries I'd back us, but as it is they're in a better position and will likely keep doing just enough without ever really convincing.

We will know by the end of December. Casemiro and Martinez are due back in a month. We need to stay in touch until they return. If we're 6 points behind by then it will be very unlikely. 

17 hours ago, brummie said:

Not saying I necessarily think you are wrong with this, but jesus fucking christ, how tedious would it be to see those finish top four.

Don’t disagree absolutely tedious but I just have a feeling re Man Utd. 
they look awful at times but just nagging away with wins at right time.

Genuinely would prefer you to be in too 4 (not one of those who harbour resentment over that game years ago and our relegation) but can just smell a top four that rankles.

Hopefully both clubs continue on our upward curve and challenge properly in next few seasons 👍

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

You beat pretty much our entire second string in the league cup and you beat us comfortably in the league with 2 out of our starting back 6 available with Martial and Rashford jogging about. 

Once again, we've had 17 injuries this season as well with other players unavailable for other reasons. Newcastle aren't the only team with absentees, though at this moment your situation is the worst out of anyone. 

You're using away defeats against Newcastle and City as a barometer for why we won't get top four, so why are Newcastle in consideration after getting comprehensively beaten by Bournemouth and absolutely torn to shreds by Everton who most of you laughed at as relegation fodder this season. Injuries or not those results are extremely poor. 

Top four race will be good  To suggest we're not in consideration is extremely silly. 

Newcastle's woes aside, I don't think a top 4 race is in the cards for ManU, and I don't really see how you could think otherwise.

When was the last time an EtH side beat a top 6 side in the league? Losing away to a top side like us or City is fine, but you can't get top 4 while collecting zero points from the top 6-8

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Your form against top8 teams is awful. Has been under ETH almost all the time, and it will catch up eventually.

33 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Newcastle's woes aside, I don't think a top 4 race is in the cards for ManU, and I don't really see how you could think otherwise.

When was the last time an EtH side beat a top 6 side in the league? Losing away to a top side like us or City is fine, but you can't get top 4 while collecting zero points from the top 6-8

If they keep beating sides below them whilst losing/failing to beat the top 8 they could still get enough points to make it 

4 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Your form against top8 teams is awful. Has been under ETH almost all the time, and it will catch up eventually.

We heard this last season too to be fair. And despite being in every competition and having numerous injuries we still finished third. 

Saying we're not in a top four race when we're 3 points off Man City is a bit silly. 

Edited by Froggy

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We heard this last season too to be fair. And despite being in every competition and having numerous injuries we still finished third. 

Saying we're not in a top four race when we're 3 points off Man City is a bit silly. 

You are still i the race, but not if your form does not improve in that case. League is much more competitive this season.

one decent performance and Man UFC are back to being the best team in the land, I see.

Their performances will catch up with them eventually and they'll finish 9th-12th. West Ham, Brighton, Brentford and Chelsea are all better sides with better managers. 

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

one decent performance and Man UFC are back to being the best team in the land, I see.

Their performances will catch up with them eventually and they'll finish 9th-12th. West Ham, Brighton, Brentford and Chelsea are all better sides with better managers. 

Very Debatable with Chelsea.