The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

621 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

Martinez I agree but who is the other?

Because I'm hoping you don't mention Varane, he's been on the bench for weeks. So he's hardly injured. It's either a falling out or Ten Hag doesn't fancy him

Whatever the reason, Varane isn't playing. It's nothing to do with Ten Hag not fancying him. 

I've said numerous times before that we've backed Ten Hag with all decisions so far, but the Varane one is worrying. He has always seemed like a model professional, so it's the first player/manager dispute where the manager might not be backed. 

Just now, Froggy said:

Whatever the reason, Varane isn't playing. It's nothing to do with Ten Hag not fancying him. 

I've said numerous times before that we've backed Ten Hag with all decisions so far, but the Varane one is worrying. He has always seemed like a model professional, so it's the first player/manager dispute where the manager might not be backed. 

The ultimate reason is irrelevant, you claimed he was injured

If there is a falling out then that is on the manager and if he prefers to play a Left Back at Centre Back instead then he should get criticised for it 

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The ultimate reason is irrelevant, you claimed he was injured

Well he was. We still don't know if there is a dispute. It could simply be that Varane was injured and Ten Hag thought Evans done well enough to keep his place. 

I doubt it though. 

26 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Well he was. We still don't know if there is a dispute. It could simply be that Varane was injured and Ten Hag thought Evans done well enough to keep his place. 

I doubt it though. 

He was asked that one time and he said tactical, not sure why he'd say that it he was injured

My point is you can't say he's missing 2 Centre Backs because he chooses not to play one of them 

20 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

He was asked that one time and he said tactical, not sure why he'd say that it he was injured

My point is you can't say he's missing 2 Centre Backs because he chooses not to play one of them 

I didn't say that though. I was asked why I think some performances have been atrocious. Varane and Martinez not being in the team is a huge reason, Ten Hag's fault or not. 

Man U bench today:

Bayindir (gk)

Hojlund

Rashford

Varane

Pellestri

Wan-Bissaka

van de Beek

Evans

Mainoo

Every single one of those outfield subs has seem meaningful pitch time for Man U in their career other than Mainoo who's just broken through (but is highly rated) and van de Beek who's massively out of favour, but still cost £25m or something and is a senior player.

Still, there's tons of experience on there and players who've played in international and European finals ready to come on.

Compare that to two keepers, Paul Dummett, Matt Ritchie, Emil Krafth and four lads with 10 minutes PL experience between them :lol:

Aye Man U have got it really tough.

Edited by Pilko

Just now, mighty__mag said:

5th will be a huge scrap between three or four sides, does it include Champions league place ?

Depends how well English sides do in Europe. Won’t be known til the end of the season

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Man U bench today:

Bayindir (gk)

Hojlund

Rashford

Varane

Pellestri

Wan-Bissaka

van de Beek

Evans

Mainoo

Every single one of those outfield subs has seem meaningful pitch time for Man U in their career other than Mainoo who's just broken through and van de Beek who's massively out of favour.

Still, there's tons of experience on there and players who've played in international and European finals ready to come on.

Compare that to two keepers, Paul Dummett, Matt Ritchie, Emil Krafth and four lads with 10 minutes PL experience between them :lol:

Yep it's a load of nonsense that Man United have any sort of injury crisis , Hojlund and Wan-Bissaka alone from that bench cost about £100 million didn't they .

For us to be 7th with literally a bench full of kids every week is unbelievable really, Villa will be hard to catch but Man United dont worry me at all.

4 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Man U bench today:

Bayindir (gk)

Hojlund

Rashford

Varane

Pellestri

Wan-Bissaka

van de Beek

Evans

Mainoo

Every single one of those outfield subs has seem meaningful pitch time for Man U in their career other than Mainoo who's just broken through (but is highly rated) and van de Beek who's massively out of favour, but still cost £25m or something and is a senior player.

There’s no point trying to reason, it’s been years of this pointless wumming on here when it comes to discussing Man Utd. 

9 hours ago, Cf said:

Part of me wondered if he'd sacrifice the Milan game. We're dependant on PSG anyway. Booby prize tournament would add even more congestion. In some ways bottom of the group gives us a shot at the league in the second half of the season. 

He won't, and nor should he. But it's a conversation that might have happened. 

I would kill (…ish) to win that booby prize tournament

Up until now Villa are essentially us this time last season, disrupting the top four. After 16 they have 35 points and we had 33.

They've been going strong for circa 40 games under Emery so they're definetly strong candidates for a CL spot (even more so it end up being a top five), but as with us it'll be about how they overcome a dip in form and teams beginning to suss them out.

Our lull came around the cup final and it took Howe a little while to work it out and cut our cloth accordingly. In previous gigs, Emery has tended to be a bit rigid and stubborn and his teams have finished poorly, but there's every chance he's learnt and grown from that. You also have to factor in he's often been one to prioritise cup competitions at the expense of the league, which he's unlikely to do in this position.

Much like ourselves this year they haven't looked quite as convincing on the road, getting battered at SJP and Anfield, along with a fortunate win at Spurs, but their excellent home form has negated that.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, still an awful long way to go, but they've put themselves in a superb position with some very winnable home games coming up.

Im turning to the idea that finishing 3rd in the CL group would be the best thing for us in the medium term. Gives us another avenue for potential CL qualification next year.

youd think that ManU will spend in Jan and improve, City, Liverpool and Arsenal are pretty much certs for top 4 and Villa can afford a drop off and still be in a strong position.

even with 5th potentially being enough id like an alternative option to aim for