The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - NUFC to enter Conference League if Man City win FA Cup

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

621 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Devils advocate here, but not being in Europe might just improve our chances of winning a domestic trophy next year like.

I’m struggling to see us do it now, I think that’s it.

Ok it’s in our hands, if we win our next 2 games we’ll finish above Man Utd, and quite possible ahead of Chelsea unless they can claw out 2 big wins. However Man Utd have always been able to beat us when it matters, ok we have had them a few times, and yes this is possibly the worst Man Utd team since before Ferguson arrived there, but you just know they’ll either pull it out of the bag against us, possibly with the help of the officials. The worry is even if we hold them off, we’ll finish 7th and Man Utd will still fuck us over by winning the FA Cup.

There isn’t much left in us now, today we were off it. There was no pressing, there was no urgency, some players still can’t do 3 games in a week. In these 3 games I always saw us slipping up, the hope was that we have given ourselves enough to slip up somewhere, but win elsewhere. It’s a much harder prospect to have done your slip up in the first game.

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

Devils advocate here, but not being in Europe might just improve our chances of winning a domestic trophy next year like.

True, but you come up against the likes of City at some stage and when we do it could all be over. I think we could have a genuine crack at the Europa League and I think we'd be unstoppable in the Conference League. If we get the ECL I think we'll be favourites for it. 

Howay, yes today wasn't our best and we seemed to huff and puff but not produce much more than a gentle breeze, but regardless of the results this weekend we're still guaranteed to be 6th going into game 37 and still, more pertinently, in the driving seat, for some reason I had it in my head Chelsea were ahead on points from todays results.

Wednesday will be the litmus test, but it's still in our hands, win both our remaining games and we finish 6th, hell we could mathematically still get 5th. Yet another emotional breakdown by our fans after a less than convincing performance. Eddie will have us fired up on Wednesday and Man Utd are in freefall, win our 2 games and Chelsea just become a footnote in our European qualification.

7 minutes ago, Heron said:

Was just about to mention this actually. 

We all want European football but there would be some advantages to finishing 8th and trying to break into the top 4 without the extra games. Bouncing from 11th to 4th a year ago was staggering but one of the main reasons we did so was because we put most of our attention on the League games and it paid off massively. I'm not trying to find the silver lining here, I still want Europe for lots of reasons, I'm just not going to be devastated with 8th and a strong squad to attack the League with next season. There are pro's and con's to 6th, 7th and 8th tbh

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m struggling to see us do it now, I think that’s it.

Ok it’s in our hands, if we win our next 2 games we’ll finish above Man Utd, and quite possible ahead of Chelsea unless they can claw out 2 big wins. However Man Utd have always been able to beat us when it matters, ok we have had them a few times, and yes this is possibly the worst Man Utd team since before Ferguson arrived there, but you just know they’ll either pull it out of the bag against us, possibly with the help of the officials. The worry is even if we hold them off, we’ll finish 7th and Man Utd will still fuck us over by winning the FA Cup.

There isn’t much left in us now, today we were off it. There was no pressing, there was no urgency, some players still can’t do 3 games in a week. In these 3 games I always saw us slipping up, the hope was that we have given ourselves enough to slip up somewhere, but win elsewhere. It’s a much harder prospect to have done your slip up in the first game.

Chelsea need to match our results and gain an 11 goal swing to move above us! We've beaten Man Utd 3 times in a row and at those times they were looking a lot better than they are at the moment and there's no chance they stop City winning the double :lol: honestly this board and just online fans in general after a poor performance are so dramatic :lol: today was scorching, it affected both teams, I wouldn't say it was that old monster fatigue coming back to finish us off, it was just a tough day in draining conditions. Now I'm not saying we definitely beat Man Utd, or that we win both our last 2 games but I know that Eddie will have us up for both and we have a decent pool of players now to have some game changers on the bench, we are in a great position to finish on a high.

4 minutes ago, midds said:

Was just about to mention this actually. 

We all want European football but there would be some advantages to finishing 8th and trying to break into the top 4 without the extra games. Bouncing from 11th to 4th a year ago was staggering but one of the main reasons we did so was because we put most of our attention on the League games and it paid off massively. I'm not trying to find the silver lining here, I still want Europe for lots of reasons, I'm just not going to be devastated with 8th and a strong squad to attack the League with next season. There are pro's and con's to 6th, 7th and 8th tbh

I don’t think there is. You will still be having the same top 6 going for it, plus the likes of Villa.

We stand a much better chance of winning either one of the Europa League, or Conference League.

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Draw at OT and we finish above Man U whatever providing Arsenal beat them tomorrow, right? 

Providing they don't win their last game 18-0 yeah :lol: 

Posted (edited)

Man U lose 

NUFC win

Chelsea lose 

If next 3 results go like this we finish 6th….? Would need a huge goal swing 

Edited by Mikky

13 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Wasn't confident of 6th before today and certainly not now.

Need a few favours, for sure.

We don't need any favours man, we just need to win our games

Posted (edited)

So if we beat Man Utd and Brighton beat Chelsea on Wednesday night does that mean we get 6th sewn up Wednesday evening? Could definitely see that happening... 

Edited by Pokerprince2004

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Probably help us do better in the league. But either of the two European competitions we might make, would probably be our best chance of winning a trophy. 

8 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

So if we can beat Man Utd and Brighton beat Chelsea on Wednesday night does that mean we get 6th sewn up that night? Could definitely see that happening... 

Our vastly superior goal difference puts us in the strongest position, Chelsea lose on Wednesday then they would need a huge goal swing to get ahead of us in the last game and we'd all but have sewn up 6th yes.

14 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

So if we beat Man Utd and Brighton beat Chelsea on Wednesday night does that mean we get 6th sewn up Wednesday evening? Could definitely see that happening... 

If f that happened, then Chelsea would be 3 points behind, and at least 12 below on GD.

We're inconsistent. I'll be thrilled if we get 6th but winning two games away from home, at the end of a season where we've been shit away, is some ask, 

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

We're inconsistent. I'll be thrilled if we get 6th but winning two games away from home, at the end of a season where we've been shit away, is some ask, 

Well, add  two wins to the tally and our away record will look a bit better. 

Chelsea have been impressive since the new year. Not without their vulnerabilities but Poch has finally gotten a tune out of them, they’d be mental to sack him.

If we can’t win our remaining games then we don’t deserve 6th. I’m not overly bothered.

We would have a better chance at the lower competition in any case. A trophy is a trophy.

Posted (edited)

We'll be stronger domestically without it for sure, but it fractionally increases our chances of winning something. Balancing act - might even be a method out there to work it all out.

We'll be amongst the favourites if not the out-right favourite but Villa have just been turned over by Olympiacos and Liverpool Atalanta - just takes catching one of those.

May be past experiences talking but amongst the other mistakes that protracted UEFA cup run in 03/04 was very damaging to the club and after Keegan missed out on Europe we got stronger the following season. (yet the CL run in the season prior to 03/04 didn't do us any harm at all).

I'm fine either way. Certainly wont be enraged at missing out on the Conference League.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Being in Europe will increase our revenue, coefficient and we'd likely be more attractive to players 

Plus, we need to learn and get experience of playing twice a week with European games