The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

All that bothers me about the decision is that you know fine well if it's given it for the home team at Anfield it isn't getting overturned.

It would be though. They basically check all penalty decisions. 

Even for LiVARpool they overturn that one. 

1 hour ago, Cf said:

No, they'd say it wasn't a clear mistake so wouldn't be overturned.

Edited by madras

8 minutes ago, Cf said:

This is a team who blatantly handled in the build up to a goal and were given a penalty from a "foul" where there was no contact.

A night to reflect on this, we have two games which are 80-20 in our favour and two which are about 60-40. We should still get 7 points from that. 

I think if lack of bottle was going to be a factor, Spurs at home would have been it. We'd just been given a hiding and we were playing a team at the time who could have put the pressure on us and we battered them. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, TRon said:

It could be argued that the player's movement caused the shorts moving, it's not necessarily the ball. I'm not 100% convinced on the pen, the defender didn't protest that much at the time from what I recall.

That's the thing I'm interested in. Unless I missed something, there was a surprising lack of furious protests from the defender about the decision, if he knew a totally false handball had just been given against him.

6 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Really nervy now. We’ve been free from pressure all season, Leeds feels like the first proper must-win. Have to hope we don’t crack.

This is how we feel now too. :lol: Not panic stations yet, but there's pressure.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If people think we are bad there is a thread running on the Man Utd forum with a poll discussing of Ten Hag should be sacked if they don’t make the top 4.

It only takes one gluebag to start a thread.

If reffing was consistent for every team in the league, I wouldn't want to see any pens given for those unless it looks blatantly deliberate, but the fact is teams are regularly getting pens for far less. It travels a fair way and replays are inconclusive. The ref gives the pen which means the burden of proof is on VAR. If that's our defender at Anfield, does anyone honestly see VAR overturning that? I wouldn't hold out any hope whatsoever.

Edited by ohmelads

15 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

141 people have voted yes he should get sacked tbf

Tbf the money he's been given and the position he started from in the top 6, they're the one club who really have no excuses not to finish top 4 given the mess Chelsea and Spurs are in. We have no right to be ahead of them with 4 games to go given the squads and where we were, yet here we are. 

I'm surprised there is such a debate about the penalty. I love moaning about injustices but it was the correct decision. Just a shame that through no fault of our own, an incident occurs that shifts momentum massively away from us. 

31 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Really nervy now. We’ve been free from pressure all season, Leeds feels like the first proper must-win. Have to hope we don’t crack.

I agree it is must win. Livarpool aren't playing well but they'll win all their games regardless. Klopp gave the officials an absolute bollocking for not helping them even more and leaving the Spurs game so tight and it seems to have worked. If we don't beat Leeds, all the pressure falls on us going into a dangerous game with Brighton. We'll do well to get through Leeds without injuries but I don't care so long as we win.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'd say Leeds is arguably must not lose as far as Champions League is concerned, for momentum and pressure as much as anything.

Drawing wouldn't be the worst result but would just mean Brighton or Chelsea becomes 'must-win' if Liverpool keep winning themselves. 

If we're going to be up this end of the table for the foreseeable future, rather than the other end as in the past, we're going to have to expect a level of pressure. But it's a different sort of pressure. At least if we do fall short, we're not being relegated. 

It'll be deflating, but II won't be that upset if we don't make top 4 after all, I've said before that we're not the finished article yet. We'll know when we are. 

In the meantime I'll just enjoy the bucketload of excellent moments this season has given, and will continue to give. 

And I also still think we will make top 4 and all that comes with it! 

Aye, it's pretty exciting like.

I think every single one of us would have taken 3rd, effectively three points above 4th (due to an insurmountable GD) and three points above 5th with a game in hand with four left to play.

8 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

I'm surprised there is such a debate about the penalty. I love moaning about injustices but it was the correct decision. Just a shame that through no fault of our own, an incident occurs that shifts momentum massively away from us. 

This is the thing for me. We were all over them at that point and a goal was coming - you could feel it from all the pressure we were building. And Arsenal couldn't afford to timewaste as they needed the win.

Then the ref gives a wrong decision, it takes an age to be overturned by VAR, then they get the chance to release the ball upfield and relieve the pressure, and they score shortly after and then break up play and frustrate afterwards

No complaints with the way it panned out after that - they were then the better team. But I'm pretty convinced that had we scored first instead of them, as was coming before that cock-up, it would have been a very different game