The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

After this weeks results …

Only taking into account like-for-like fixtures (including head-to-heads fixtures) this is where our top 4 rivals are against NUFC …

Man Utd +12 pts (14 fixtures)

Liverpool +3 pts (15 fixtures)

Tottenham +1 pt (15 fixtures)

Chelsea -4 pts (11 fixtures)

I haven't been tracking Brighton, but think I should looking at their recent form .....
Brighton -1 pt (15 fixtures)

Edited by CM1961

I feel like our press is not quite as effective or as intense as it was earlier in the season. Does anyone know if the numbers back that up? 

Feel like we created and scored quite a lot from high turnovers and now we are relying more on having to break teams down. 

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

I feel like our press is not quite as effective or as intense as it was earlier in the season. Does anyone know if the numbers back that up? 

Feel like we created and scored quite a lot from high turnovers and now we are relying more on having to break teams down. 

Definitely feels like it.

Also wonder if it's also because teams fear us more so are more likely to sit back against us? 

Im no stats guy but have we stopped taking shots from outside the box after the world cup? Can remember plenty of goals from range pre world cup, Schar vs Forest, Miggy numerous times, Wilson vs Spurs, Bruno vs Brentford and Southampton, ASM vs Wolves, Willock vs Chelsea to name a few. 

We're joint top in goals from outside the box, but yeah, not so many recently. We're also top in hitting the woodwork. Third top in "big chances missed". All three are on the Premier League website

According to understat, we're massively underperforming xG for attempts inside the six yard box. Seven goals from nearly fourteen xG. This will mostly be from set pieces.

Watching highlights from other recent PL games, it strikes me how static we are in the final third. In transition we regularly stop and check back across the whole front three, rather than looking for incisive through-balls or clever one twos on the transition. It's like we wait for them to set up their defence and then we try and break it down.

41 minutes ago, HawK said:

Watching highlights from other recent PL games, it strikes me how static we are in the final third. In transition we regularly stop and check back across the whole front three, rather than looking for incisive through-balls or clever one twos on the transition. It's like we wait for them to set up their defence and then we try and break it down.

I think this is where the lack of overlap from the full backs can sometimes make us look less effective going forward. The goal which Spurs scored where the two full backs, Ben White and Emerson Royal combined to score on Sunday is not likely to happen here. We just haven't developed to that stage yet, our full backs are more about keeping a solid shape at the back, so puts a lot more onus on our attackers to make space.

1 hour ago, Stottie said:

We're joint top in goals from outside the box, but yeah, not so many recently. We're also top in hitting the woodwork. Third top in "big chances missed". All three are on the Premier League website

According to understat, we're massively underperforming xG for attempts inside the six yard box. Seven goals from nearly fourteen xG. This will mostly be from set pieces.

That's Murphy on his own!

4 hours ago, HawK said:

This is where we've missed Bruno's final third passing.  Perhaps Gordon will add something here to.  Maddison would be great for these situations.

Not saying he's shit.

And that Liverpool ball was great.

But he's not the type to get the ball in the middle of the park against a low block and thread balls through the lines. I think Odegaard is brilliant at picking the ball up in the final third and getting the ball into super advanced positions or into the box. Likewise Partey, Modric and Bruno G are great at progressing the ball from the middle to the final third.

Even Isak is good at getting the ball on the half-turn in the final third to help get the ball into the box or deep down those sides through running. 

And he's not a creative passer like Bruno F or Maddison.

From what i've seen Gordon is more of a transition player. I think that's how the Liverpool chance was created. He won the ball(?) or somehow Liverpool lost the ball, Gordon run direct and played a great ball into Wilson. Point is, he's not a progressive or creative passer.

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not saying he's shit.

And that Liverpool ball was great.

But he's not the type to get the ball in the middle of the park against a low block and thread balls through the lines. I think Odegaard is brilliant at picking the ball up in the final third and getting the ball into super advanced positions or into the box. Likewise Partey, Modric and Bruno G are great at progressing the ball from the middle to the final third.

Even Isak is good at getting the ball on the half-turn in the final third to help get the ball into the box or deep down those sides through running. 

And he's not a creative passer like Bruno F or Maddison.

From what i've seen Gordon is more of a transition player. I think that's how the Liverpool chance was created. He won the ball(?) or somehow Liverpool lost the ball, Gordon run direct and played a great ball into Wilson. Point is, he's not a progressive or creative passer.

Not exonerating Gordon or any of midfielders for that matter but I think our lack of movement in the box is to the detriment of the other passers in the team. Yeah, Bruno can do it but I think others could offer more as well but it does need he forwards to make those little runs that just create a yard of space. Or wide players making out to in runs too. We don’t do enough of that. 
As others have pointed out, we’re a little too static. And against a well organised defence, it’s not helping us at all.

Edited by Lotus

On 22/02/2023 at 11:45, The Prophet said:

Using the eye test alone, West Ham and Bournemouth have felt like the only two games where the press has looked a bit blunt. Despite losing, I felt we looked a lot sharper v Liverpool. 

And Leeds, I’d even include Fulham even though we won

Just now, Gawalls said:

And Leeds, I’d even include Fulham even though we won

I'd disagree with that. The press was fine, we dominated both games but lacked a clinical edge in and around the box. Even Palace away which was a bore draw, we always looked in control.

Against West Ham and Bournemouth though, we were losing 50/50s, conceding second balls and allowed both a far greater foothold in the gane than we've allowed anyone else. Thankfully we looked much more ourselves v Liverpool.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd disagree with that. The press was fine, we dominated both games but lacked a clinical edge in and around the box. Even Palace away which was a bore draw, we always looked in control.

Against West Ham and Bournemouth though, we were losing 50/50s, conceding second balls and allowed both a far greater foothold in the gane than we've allowed anyone else. Thankfully we looked much more ourselves v Liverpool.

I get your point but not scoring but having a fine press is still lacking for me, I do totally see what your saying though.