The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

Even if Chelsea opt-out, would the position in UECL pass down to us?

It did when Juventus were banned for this year's competition, their place went to Fiorentina who are playing in the final this week...

(At least this is what I've read)

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

Even if Chelsea opt-out, would the position in UECL pass down to us?

It dropped down to Fiorentina in 8th when Juventus accepted their sanction last season after finishing 7th so it should do.

Just been educated on Facebook that being in Europe is a waste of time and will cost the club a lot more than we make even by winning it, apparently every club suffers unless it's the champions league......

11 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

This is what my ‘ridiculous’ comment is based on. If we assume City and Arsenal take two spots then there are only two left for the rest of the established six. Newcastle could have a very, very good season and still not qualify for the Champions League.

The expectation is based on some level of overachieving combined with continued underachieving by at least three clubs. That’s why it feels like a stretch to me, but I can also see why people feel like it’s the most appropriate goal.

IMO we have by far the strongest squad not playing in Europe.  We already over achieved by getting the best out of Isak and Bruno and the others. We got 60 points this season. We should be looking to get 10 more points next season. That will put us in the CL or very close. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO we have by far the strongest squad not playing in Europe.  We already over achieved by getting the best out of Isak and Bruno and the others. We got 60 points this season. We should be looking to get 10 more points next season. That will put us in the CL or very close. 

I was going to say a points total of at or around 70 feels like a more reasonable goal. Wherever that falls so be it.

Rose-colored glasses ‘n all, but no Europe will allow us to (hopefully) cut the remaining deadwood from the squad. Have the squad streamlined and ready for Europe in 2025-26.

Anything less than top 5 and/or a significant cup run will be hugely disappointing next season.

Posted (edited)

6 losses this season were by a single goal. Those are the kinds of matches we need to be turning into draws next season.

Desperately need to sort out our away form to have a chance at making a run into the top 5.

Edited by Deuce

When we lost the home game to Milan and went out of Europe altogether, Jenas said something to the effect of 'Believe me, the players won't be disappointed to have missed out on the Europa League'. It was said with the air of a professional finally coming clean about something. Maybe he was just referring to the difficulty of motivating yourself for the minor competition when you've been knocked out of the major one, but maybe it's something else.

No player or manager is going to say that they're glad to have missed out on the pleasures of long distance travelling to the far corners of Europe, because supporters value these competitions. But my ever-strengthening hunch is that for many on the footballing side, the Europa League is a gig they actually don't mind missing. Footballers are notoriously bad travellers, and it's only the glory of the Champions League that really compensates.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

When we lost the home game to Milan and went out of Europe altogether, Jenas said something to the effect of 'Believe me, the players won't be disappointed to have missed out on the Europa League'. It was said with the air of a professional finally coming clean about something. Maybe he was just referring to the difficulty of motivating yourself for the minor competition when you've been knocked out of the major one, but maybe it's something else.

No player or manager is going to say that they're glad to have missed out on the pleasures of long distance travelling to the far corners of Europe, because supporters value these competitions. But my ever-strengthening hunch is that for many on the footballing side, the Europa League is a gig they actually don't mind missing. Footballers are notoriously bad travellers, and it's only the glory of the Champions League that really compensates.

Brilliantly pointing out the obvious. There’s not many teams where their league form suffers as a consequence.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Jenas was a coward of a player though.  He’s talking coward things. 

He played in the uefa cup for us. Had we beaten Marseille that season and won the uefa cup he would be a legend around her.  

Honestly fuck him and his opinion.  Winners want to win. We need that mentality.  Jenas was at clubs with losers mentality. Maybe he was happy going to the SF of uefa. He was happy to play for spurs rather than arsenal. He was happy finishing 6th.  Happy to retire at 31.  He’s a prick.  

For the club Europe is a net positive - no doubt. Revenue and coefficients and a squad and management used to competing on multiple fronts. We will use that additional revenue to invest to the max. Most other clubs not usually in Europe probably won’t. 

On a single season basis.  On the basis we can invest and keep our players. It’s a positive not being in Europe. But we need to put back to back European campaigns in and back to back CL places. 

Reminds me of the batshit “I want the club to be relegated to clear the decks” takes a few years ago. At least now the craziness is about Europe and not the PL shows the progress.

the EC would have been class, the EL even better. This season has delivered a worse outcome than last season with a stronger squad. The lessons have to be learnt and hopefully luck will turn too. There will be huge pressure now next season to deliver on the pitch.

The good news is as long as the squad is strengthened in the right areas then the squad will be at a stage to properly compete for the domestic cups.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If that's the case, would Chelsea not just take the Europa spot and Man U take up the Conference one?

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

If that's the case, would Chelsea not just take the Europa spot and Man U take up the Conference one?

Both Europa Conference potentially?

Doesn't impact us either way, but still potentially amusing.

20 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Jenas was a coward of a player though.  He’s talking coward things. 

He played in the uefa cup for us. Had we beaten Marseille that season and won the uefa cup he would be a legend around her.  

Honestly fuck him and his opinion.  Winners want to win. We need that mentality.  Jenas was at clubs with losers mentality. Maybe he was happy going to the SF of uefa. He was happy to play for spurs rather than arsenal. He was happy finishing 6th.  Happy to retire at 31.  He’s a prick.  

My favorite post of many months. I could read this over and over and keep laughing and raising a fist. LFG. I couldn't agree more with you. Fucking can't stop Jenas and some of the nonsense he spouts. 

So… no chance at all we take Man Utd’s spot? Seems to be looking more and more like they can’t play in it due to INEOS ties.

I read an article about the same thing happening with Brighton and Union Saint-Gilloise who have the same owner. All they needed to do was "restructure their board." 

Man Utd will find a way around this unfortunately.

If not, they are getting barred from Europe, Chelsea are getting barred for their obvious financial infringements and the Toon will be in the Europa League!

:indi:

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

No they would swap with Chelsea. 

As simple as that? Thought they were in different competitions?

I obviously wanted Europe from a selfish perspective in that fact that I'd be able to do another European trip next season, as well as the nights at St James' - particularly if we got to the knockouts would have been great. I can't pretend I'm absolutely devasted though as it's not like they won't be here again in the next year or two.

However, I do think it massively improves our chances of getting Champions League football again sooner rather than later. The top 2 are nailed on, but the other 2 (3?) spots are anyone's game to be honest. Liverpool in transition, Chelsea are a mess, Spurs & Man United could do anything and Villa will have to cope with a testing Champions League format with the potential of knockouts in the New Year. 

A kind set of fixtures to start the season and I reckon we will definitely be there or thereabouts next May. I'm an eternal pessimist but I'd consider us favourites but a lot will naturally depend on what we do this summer.