The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

42 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Only 4 teams outside of the top 7 in the league have won the FA Cup in the last 30 finals (Everton, Wigan, Portsmouth & Man Utd).

Of fucking course we'd miss out on Europe as a direct result in two of those seasons. :lol:

Quiz - what was unique about Portsmouth among those?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Back then wouldn't Everton have gotten the Cup Winners Cup place even if they lost in the final? Like we did in 98.

Chelsea qualified the same way after losing in 94 and finishing mid-table.  It was initially specifically just the Champions League qualifying cup finalist because naturally you wouldn't want to to drop out of that to go in the CWC.

*edit guessing they changed it so that a cup final place against a team already qualified for the UEFA Cup got a place around about the time

the cup was losing its appeal after Man United sat it out and the CWC was disbanded

Edited by Jonas

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Spurs probably don't finish above us if they'd had Europe like we had tbf. 5th will probably get CL football in a lot of seasons moving forward as well. 

When I say "didn't work", I mean not getting CL, or top 4. As I said in my post, it helped both teams, but neither of them had a really good season despite not being in Europe. My point is just because we don't have Europe doesn't mean that we will compete for top 4, it's far from a given that it leads to a great season. Tottenham and Chelsea happened to be recent examples of that. The Conference League would also be one to rotate in, so likewise Villa made top 4 while playing in the Conference League, finishing above both Chelsea and Tottenham (despite having a seemingly weaker squad). I also don't think that tournament would have a massive impact on our league position, unless we wouldn't have rotated enough.

Edited by Erikse

What will represent success next season? I think it’s CL or we count the transfer requests coming in. 

Lots of pressure to get this summer right and start well.

Twitter (I know) is awash with supporters re-reviewing the season a week after reviewing the season based on a game played by another team.

Europe or no Europe 7th is a minor miracle after the season we've somehow slogged our way through. Yes, the Conference League would have been great for a shot at silverware we'd have to be favourites to win and of course for the co-efficient, but players aren't considering us as a destination or staying with us because of that, they're buying into the project. We are still on the way up and next season is going to be immense!

15 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

What will represent success next season? I think it’s CL or we count the transfer requests coming in. 

I think people are going to expect Champions League, which I both understand and also think is a ridiculous expectation.

Annoyingly we’re really going to want the English clubs to do well in Europe.

Emotionally, I'm gutted that there isn't the momentum of a second season in Europe. And it only intensifies the Bruno rumours. Could've been a fun adventure.

On the other hand, Conference League gives no financial boost, won't be the difference between a player staying/going and - mathematically - we'd still probably not quite win it. This frees us up to get a top 5 league spot and hope it'll be enough for UCL. Buy good players, get Tonali back, play once a week + let Spurs/Liverpool/Villa drop.

Maybe this is one of the stages of grief  :lol: 

What a season it has been :lol: Pretty decent all in all, despite what feels like "literally everything" going against us.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

We can’t expect to keep Isak, Bruno, Gordon just being alsorans. They’re better than that.

Good thing we aren't alsorans then.

25 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Agreed. If we hang on to Isak + Bruno and add a little bit more quality.

With no distractions, expectations have now risen to attack the top 4 again and go far in the cups.

There's no reason we can't either if we avoid the injury crisis we had this year. Add a few signings and Tonali and we should be looking much stronger than the squad that finished 4th in 22/23.

Genuinely think Howe will be going into the season aiming for the very top. We know that's the brief and realistically we're nowhere near that being a reality anytime soon, but it being the aim feels like a very Eddie Howe thing to do.

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We can’t expect to keep Isak, Bruno, Gordon just being alsorans. They’re better than that.

Bruno may leave for various reasons, but I’m pretty sure our players have a good perspective on where we are, where we’re trying to go, and how extraordinarily challenging this season was.

22 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Genuinely think Howe will be going into the season aiming for the very top. We know that's the brief and realistically we're nowhere near that being a reality anytime soon, but it being the aim feels like a very Eddie Howe thing to do.

I think it's pretty much his private aim every season. These words could easily look very silly in a few months, but next season looks like a good year to go and do it, as well.

I'm gutted, I wanted European football for all the reasons people have said (boost coefficient, players getting used to playing twice a week, Howe getting more experience in managing twice a week, more games for fans etc) so not going to pretend I'm not gutted.

However don't really want to dwell on it too much nor am I going to be absurd by suddenly calling the season a flop/disaster etc etc

I thought 7th was a pretty decent season considering the injuries, I'm not going to change that opinion because City didn't win a game that majority of people expected them to.

Despite the disappointment no Europe can potentially have a silver lining and that is us being able to go full tilt each game. Assuming we don't have a repeat of the injuries then I'm confident we'll have a good season.

I'm absolutely gutted to miss out on Europe, like. For a variety of reasons - both personal and as a supporter - those European nights this year were absolutely unforgettable.

7 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Twitter (I know) is awash with supporters re-reviewing the season a week after reviewing the season based on a game played by another team.

Europe or no Europe 7th is a minor miracle after the season we've somehow slogged our way through. Yes, the Conference League would have been great for a shot at silverware we'd have to be favourites to win and of course for the co-efficient, but players aren't considering us as a destination or staying with us because of that, they're buying into the project. We are still on the way up and next season is going to be immense!

Agreed - shame our fans haven’t the same common sense, so many have become so entitled, I honestly thought it would take longer than this.

9 minutes ago, Paully said:

Let them have their moment of laughing - every manager is turning them down and their second half to last season was relegation form. Since their manager left they went from around seventh to just avoiding relegation by three points.

They currently have no manager and can’t get one as nobody wants the job, can’t score for toffee at the moment and their owners were in local phone in saying exciting times ahead as there’s a new gift shop and bar opening in their ground.  They are seriously screwed next season.

Screenshot_20240526-074654.thumb.png.7b6f30ad9010e1a9b50a2546d7cd5497.png

I mean, it's a bit of a miracle we're even competing with Man U & Chelsea for places based on this (fair play Villa).

7th really is still our par, hopefully less midweek games compared to the rest is a difference maker and I think it will.