The Europeometer™ (2024/25)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

626 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

49 minutes ago, Jewel said:

Yesterdays result was very disappointing.

Even if other teams do slip up, it showed that we are in no shape to take advantage.

I think we’ll finish 7th or 8th.  A rebuild is needed in the summer IMO.

I wouldn't say we need a rebuild, but we do need to sign some actual starting 11 players including a bloody right winger after needing one for the last 3 years. 

We aren't making 4th without some big improvement in our performances and at least one signing in January. Chelsea, Villa or even Spurs are in a better place to get that spot right now. 

If we are counting positives, we're ahead on the same fixtures last season (four points?). Everyone is seven games in but four of ours have been away, where we were terrible last season. We're P3 W2 D1 L0 at SJP despite playing City, Spurs and someone who got to play us as ten men for most of the game. Not convincing, but getting it done with easier home games to come.

Fingers crossed we get Isak if not Isak and Wilson back, Tonali keeps improving, and we get to spend in January. With the new Mickey Mouse format, no Group of Death for one English team and no Ten Hag Man U in the CL, I can see English clubs doing better this year and getting the coefficient up. Fifth might be enough.

2 hours ago, Decky said:

I wouldn't say we need a rebuild, but we do need to sign some actual starting 11 players including a bloody right winger after needing one for the last 3 years. 

We may need one. I don’t see our better players wanting to stick around if we finish 7th again.

I reckon 4th/5th is well up for grabs regardless of us strengthening the squad, though obviously that would improve our hand a lot. I reckon the top 3 are out of reach, then we'll be up against Chelsea, Spurs, Villa and potentially ManU with a managerial change for 4th and 5th. All those teams have inconsistency in them. I'd make Villa favourites for 4th, but we'll see how they get on as the CL piles up further.

8 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I reckon 4th/5th is well up for grabs regardless of us strengthening the squad, though obviously that would improve our hand a lot. I reckon the top 3 are out of reach, then we'll be up against Chelsea, Spurs, Villa and potentially ManU with a managerial change for 4th and 5th. All those teams have inconsistency in them. I'd make Villa favourites for 4th, but we'll see how they get on as the CL piles up further.

Given our gaps in the squad I don't think it's fair to set our sights any higher than 6th. Don't think we will finish higher than Chelsea given their much deeper squad. They had a joke season last time round and still finished ahead of us and knocked us out of the cup.

Just now, TRon said:

Given our gaps in the squad I don't think it's fair to set our sights any higher than 6th. Don't think we will finish higher than Chelsea given their much deeper squad. They had a joke season last time round and still finished ahead of us and knocked us out of the cup.

I expect Chelsea will be better than last season, but I think we could be too. Chelsea could still be well off their potential this season, going off days like today.

For the "project" we could really do with playing in Europe next season.

Last season was tough for a variety of reasons but England missing out on that 5th CL place and Man City's abject performance in the FA Cup Final can be put down to bad luck to an extent.

However, assuming 7th (or possibly even 8th?) could be enough I don't think it's unfair to say that's the target. This is the third full season, we've spent good money, we've not lost any of our star players. Plus, pretty much every one of our rivals in playing in Europe this season, with all the pressures that brings.

I’d say Europe in some form next season is essential otherwise we’ll lose players and need to rebuild + some players that stay will lose some motivation. It would also raise the chances of Howe leaving significantly. We absolutely have to be in Europe

I think City, Arsenal, Liverpool are the nailed on top three and then after that it's between us, Chelsea, Villa & Spurs to grab 4-7 with outside chance of Brighton or a good new manager at Man U seeing them have a resurgence to upset that "second four".

I really think our season hinges on Isak and Pope's availability. We won't have the injury list or fixture congestion we had last season and goals will always cover up most of the other issues with the side. FWIW I'm counting any time Wilson can play as a bonus. And so long as Pope stays healthy, he will earn us a good amount of points we would otherwise not get with one of the backup brigade in net. Of course if we can strengthen in January, even with one high quality addition at RW, that'll make a huge difference.

We've added Tonali, Botman & Miley will hopefully be back before the winter fixtures, the likes of Hall, Gordon, Livramento and Barnes have had their season to fully integrate into our way of playing. Whilst a lot of the performances this season have been muddled, they'll definitely get better & when you look at last season, it basically felt like one long constant kick in the balls with injury/cup draws etc. and yet we were really close to Europe at the end of it anyway. 

If I had £100 to stick on our finishing position right now I'd stick it on 5th. I've a feeling Chelsea will nab fourth and we'll pip Villa who will start to tire, especially if they progress in Europe.

You don't get Champions League football if you're not battering the likes of Everton - think i heard Pickford hadn't had a clean sheet since last spring?

On the off chance (one in a thousand?) Callum and Isak can stay healthy rest of the season, sure Champions League would be well on. But expecting significant absences for both, with virtually no cover in Osula, just can't see it with how strong the league is. Europa or Conf would be huge if we could nick either.

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

You don't get Champions League football if you're not battering the likes of Everton - think i heard Pickford hadn't had a clean sheet since last spring?

On the off chance (one in a thousand?) Callum and Isak can stay healthy rest of the season, sure Champions League would be well on. But expecting significant absences for both, with virtually no cover in Osula, just can't see it with how strong the league is. Europa or Conf would be huge if we could nick either.

In fairness, Villa drew 0-0 with them last season and Liverpool lost there. Both got champions league.

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

You don't get Champions League football if you're not battering the likes of Everton

How about Nottingham Forest at home? Or Ipswich away? Or Brighton away when two up at half time? 

Just now, Upthemags said:

You don't get Champions League football if you're not battering the likes of Everton 

Liverpool finished 3rd last season and lost 2-0 away to Everton. 

Think Chelsea and Villa are both appreciably stronger based on performances this season. Do I think we could knock one of them off for EL? Yea, I do. Knocking both off seems highly unlikely imo. Fact is we play in a current competitive mold where the top 3 champions league spots are all but nailed on. And that's not factoring in either of Tottenham or Manu waking up.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think either Conf or EL would be a massive success of a season with all that in mind.

22 minutes ago, 54 said:

How about Nottingham Forest at home? Or Ipswich away? Or Brighton away when two up at half time? 

Liverpool also lost to Forest (h).

There's no real shame to the results we've had thus far. Okay, performances have rarely been there but if performances improve (as they have) and results remain, we'll be amongst those chasing down European spots.