The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

2-0 was a fair enough scoreline. 1.38xg to 0.55xg. We didn't deserve anything and didn't play well.

Aye. Winning away comfortably at West Ham, Everton, Fulham, Southampton, and Leicester.. and then big wins against Forest, Brentford, Spurs.  Good draws at Chelsea, Arsenal, Brighton and Man U. That will be difficult to replicate. We were better in our defeat to City last season too.

From the games I've seen - we've not looked good away from home at all bar Sheff U and Man U in the cup. The press has largely been off, and we've conceded 2+ a few times. Obviously the extra injuries and games is the most significant factor.

That's a good point. We didn't take many points in the away games we've done so far this season in the last season, but if we want to replicate last seasons 32 points away from home we would need to take 27 points from the last 13 away games.. That's more than 2 points per game away from home.. I think it's fair to say that this will be very difficult now after taking 5p from 6.

Edited by Erikse

11 minutes ago, Erikse said:

That's a good point. We didn't take many points in the away games we've done so far this season in the last season, but if we want to replicate last seasons 32 points away from home we would need to take 27 points from the last 13 away games.. That's more than 2 points per game away from home.. I think it's fair to say that this will be very difficult now after taking 5p from 6.

We could make up some of those points as we have so far by winning those home games we drew and continue to  beat the likes of Man U, Spurs & Chelsea at home like we did last season.

But we still need to pickup the away form. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We could make up some of those points as we have so far by winning those home games we drew and continue to  beat the likes of Man U, Spurs & Chelsea at home like we did last season.

But we still need to pickup the away form. 

Yeah that's why I said it's not a real worry to me, but saying that we're just 2 points off of the same away fixtures last season as a reason to say that our away form is not really that bad is just a bit misleading when you think about how many points we now need to take to replicate last seasons away tally. It's as if our first 5 fixtures just happened to be the 5 games we lost last season (would be impossible, but just an example), and then when we lose all 5 it's like "yeah but we lost them last season too", but then we need to be the invincibles for the rest of the season to not lose more than last season.

32 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yeah that's why I said it's not a real worry to me, but saying that we're just 2 points off of the same away fixtures last season as a reason to say that our away form is not really that bad is just a bit misleading when you think about how many points we now need to take to replicate last seasons away tally. It's as if our first 5 fixtures just happened to be the 5 games we lost last season (would be impossible, but just an example), and then when we lose all 5 it's like "yeah but we lost them last season too", but then we need to be the invincibles for the rest of the season to not lose more than last season.

we're 4 points off aren't we?

West Ham -2

Brighton -1

Bournemouth -1

2 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

we're 4 points off aren't we?

West Ham -2

Brighton -1

Bournemouth -1

Sheffield United usually counts as Leeds in here (19th vs 2nd), which makes it +2p in that game.

Edited by Erikse

Probably going to be one of the most difficult years to stay in the top six.

The current top ten teams are very good and can probably beat anyone on a good day. 

Apart from the bottom three I reckon it's one of the strongest prem league i have ever seen.

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Not had going from our lot considering the state of affairs.

Both of us have had good-great fixtures.

The fixtures stiffen for Villa until Christmas. I expect them to fall back a little. I do not expect them to repeat that form over the next 8 or even close. They will want to still be in that pack by Christmas.

1 hour ago, Stottie said:

Had we beaten Bournemouth, we'd top that Premier League form table. It just shows the shadow cast by the injury crisis and the Dortmund defeats in the CL.

Arsenal win was huge. And we picked up points on the road in challenging fixtures.

But we've also had an extremely nice run over the last 8.

Deffo think we are clouded by the Dortmund losses as well..we must not forget that our actually PREMIER LEAGUE form is pretty good. Yes, I know it's tough this year but we are keeping up with the pack. But because we've had those two losses in-between wins and draws in the EFL and PL, we think we aren't doing so well. 

Also would love Timo Werner on loan. I actually think he's quality but his Chelsea time fucked him up. Where have we heard that story before? 

2 hours ago, Stottie said:

Had we beaten Bournemouth, we'd top that Premier League form table. It just shows the shadow cast by the injury crisis and the Dortmund defeats in the CL.

Again - we've had as good a run of fixtures as possible. But I agree.. we were one win away from maximising that spell.

Timo Werner available? Then he's flopped at Leipzeig. I would avoid.

I think this team needs another playmaker. We've got 2 proper strikers and a really good inverted forward who should get goals even off scraps. But we only have 1 playmaker, and he's deep-lying.

Our home form in the PL is good but away isn't good at all.

We were one of the best away teams last year, need to get back to that.

2 wins in 10 away, 1 win in 6 this season.

Hopefully that can be turned around quickly when getting players back fit.

Just now, Upthemags said:

How does a resurgent Chelsea change the calculus... They look, dare I say, a potential top 4 threat if they keep on their form

They were pony against 9 men spurs and finally broke them down late on. Brentford beat then at home the game before that

Fair play against man city they played well but think they need to show more than one game before being talked about as top 4 like

Not looking forward to going there in the league cup much mind but hopefully we have injuries back and if we are already out of the champions league by then we might go a bit stronger..

2 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

They were beaten 2-0 at home by Brentford three matches ago. What form is that?

They just looked the better side against the strongest XI in the world and were the better side against Arsenal. Spurs disaster aside I think they've turned a corner. And this is all without Nkunku who might make it back for us.

40 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

How does a resurgent Chelsea change the calculus... They look, dare I say, a potential top 4 threat if they keep on their form

The jury is still out, they're not as shambolic as last season, but their last few results have included a home defeat to Brentford and struggling v nine man Spurs.

Edited by The Prophet

They look good when teams come to play _ City & Arsenal.

But against low-blocks, teams happy to sit back and hit them on the counter. I've not seen it from them consistently.

The next 3 are tough on paper but good for them stylistically. It's the following 6 that look easy for them but they've struggled to deal with all season. If they pick up many points over the next 9 - they'll deservedly be in the mix. Until they start beating who they should routinely - I'm not believing it yet.

They've had false dawns before but you expect Poch to get it right. Howe would've had them flying by now btw.