The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

1 hour ago, Deuce said:

Barring a complete collapse from Spurs or Villa down the stretch, 5th seems out of reach. I’d put good money on us landing 6th.

I always think goal difference is a good indicator of where teams may end up, I think we’re best of the rest all being well

up until the seasons done.

2 hours ago, Deuce said:

Barring a complete collapse from Spurs or Villa down the stretch, 5th seems out of reach. I’d put good money on us landing 6th.

Spurs have a couple of games coming up in Villa and Fulham away. You'd certainly expect them to drop points in at least one of them, I reckon a loss and a draw. Two winnable ones then

We've got them at home. If we can beat Chelsea then we've 2 winnable games at home (West Ham and Everton) and Fulham away.

If things go our way (ha!) then we could be coming out of the home game with them only 3-4 points behind with 6 to play.

Loads of ifs and buts there but shows that it won't take a total collapse for us to get close and put some serious pressure on them for 5th. So if we are aiming for 6th our points target should really be to get enough for 5th in a typical season and see what happens. It is unlikely I grant you, but not complete fan fiction

Our run in largely consists of mid-table teams with little to play for away and our top 5/7 rivals at home. Man U away is our hardest fixture and thats not what it used to be. With players back and Pope in March, we now have the chance to start racking up the points and looking upwards. 

We'll be out the FA cup shortly and not in Europe meaning the focus entirely on the league and fewer opportunities to pick up more injuries means we have a chance of motoring upwards

3 hours ago, Big Jow said:

Would be great for Spurs to collapse after the massive media wankfest over “Ange”.

Spurs getting in over Villa is probably preferable from our POV though. 

I'd be happy with 6th or 7th.  I do think Villa are due a collapse but everyone thought that about us last season and we kept going. No way will we catch Villa or spurs though. There is a slight chance we might catch one of them and doesn't CL go down to 5th now.

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

doesn't CL go down to 5th now.

At the minute, no. There's no guarantee England get the fifth spot.

This run of results would give us 26 points (66 overall) and almost guarantee 6th. If one of the wins becomes a draw, or there are any more losses (without a draw becoming a win) and I don’t think we’d catch Man Utd. 

Chelsea A 1pt

West Ham H 3pts 

Everton H 3pts 

Fulham A 3pts 

Spurs H 0pts

Man Utd A 1pt

Sheff Utd H 3pts

Burnley A 3 pts

Brighton H 3pts

Brentford A 3pts 

Crystal Palace (date tbc) A 3pts

8 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. HTL!

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

This run of results would give us 26 points (66 overall) and almost guarantee 6th. If one of the wins becomes a draw, or there are any more losses (without a draw becoming a win) and I don’t think we’d catch Man Utd. 

Chelsea A 1pt

West Ham H 3pts 

Everton H 3pts 

Fulham A 3pts 

Spurs H 0pts

Man Utd A 1pt

Sheff Utd H 3pts

Burnley A 3 pts

Brighton H 3pts

Brentford A 3pts 

Crystal Palace (date tbc) A 3pts

8 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. HTL!

we’ll get more than 2 points out of Chelsea, Spurs and Manu.

Aye, I can see a strong end to the season. Fixtures are reasonably good and the more difficult games are still opportunities for points. Each game in winnable, not dating we'll win them all but I'll be going into each game looking to get points in every single one. Man U away looks the most difficult but we've beaten them 3 times on the bounce and knocked them out of the cup so that's a chance of a result. Spurs at home isn't easy but I'd expect at least a point. No reason why we can't aim for 6th and be in poker position if one of spurs or villa blow up. We need a run like Liverpool made at the back end of last season though

image.png.a58d2f3b6190b93a2f85e71f2ad51068.png

This shows where points have come from this season. Tier based on finishing position last year. Thing that stands out for me is that Man Utd have only taken one point off Tier 1 teams (played 5, only had a draw at Liverpool; lost the others so far). Villa have bullied the Tier 4 teams, with 23 points from 10 games (we have taken 13 point from 8 games against Tier 4). Spurs have done best against Tier 1 sides: 12 points (from 7 games). We have 6 points from 6 games against Tier 1 opponents. 

5th is gone. We needed to beat Luton & Bournemouth at home to stay in the running. Mid to high 60's would put us in the running for 5th. Low 60's is 6th/7th this season.

Most of our rivals for 7th have European football to contend with in March and probably beyond. We should finish above them.

It would take a bit of a collapse to even catch Man U unless we go on a super run.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

5th is gone. We needed to beat Luton & Bournemouth at home to stay in the running. Mid to high 60's would put us in the running for 5th. Low 60's is 6th/7th this season.

Most of our rivals for 7th have European football to contend with in March and probably beyond. We should finish above them.

It would take a bit of a collapse to even catch Man U unless we go on a super run.

We're four points behind Man U with easier fixtures in the run-in? Why would that need a collapse on their part?

I have zero confidence this in this defence until Martinez and Shaw are back, which is April at the earliest if they come back at all. We will drop a lot of points. 

52 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

We're four points behind Man U with easier fixtures in the run-in? Why would that need a collapse on their part?

They've averaged over 50% win rate. 6 wins out of 11 gets them to 62 points.

We'll need to win 8 out of 11 to beat that. We've not shown that form all season.

To catch them - they'll have to be worse than they've been all season and we'll have to be better.

And we've never finished above them. And we play them away.

Man U still have to play Liverpool and Arsenal at their place - they are tricky fixtures. We could very well sneak some form of result at OT as well, should our form trend up from here. Brighton should have some players back by the time they host them too.

Brighton and West Hams run ins look tougher than ours.

I think that's where our aim is, for 7th

The longer both stay in the europa the better for us as well.

Man u will scab their way to points as they have done all season.

60 points should be enough for 7th I reckon, 6 wins and a couple of draws.

Will need a strong finish. Wolves and Chelsea could come with a run late on as well.

Edited by jack j

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They've averaged over 50% win rate. 6 wins out of 11 gets them to 62 points.

We'll need to win 8 out of 11 to beat that. We've not shown that form all season.

To catch them - they'll have to be worse than they've been all season and we'll have to be better.

And we've never finished above them. And we play them away.

I'm not saying we'll catch them. You said Man U would need to collapse completely for us to catch them, which obviously isn't true.