Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Anyone travelling daft enough to expect anything other than a significantly altered line-up probably deserves to have the piss taken out of them. Besides, the travelling support have been treated fairly okay this season with 5 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats. 

Deserve it for supporting their team give over man. That line up was a piss take if you disagree that's up to you. 

11 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It was totally obvious this would happen with that many changes. I'm really pissed off with that starting lineup today. That took the piss out of 4500 fans paying good money today. 

We’re flying high in the league with a paper thin squad, play a high energy game, going for the big European places and are still in another cup competition.

How many games do you expect our first eleven to play?

5 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Dubravka: 2

Manquillo: 6

Lascelles: 5

Botman: 6

Lewis: 3

Longstaff: 7

Joelinton: 6

Anderson: 4

Ritchie: 5

Isak: 6

Murphy: 2

Bruno: 7

Trippier: 7

Wood: 1

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I assume that those advocating for a strong side aren't too arsed about the League Cup quarter final or being fresh for Fulham? You need to rotate at some stage

We're in uncharted waters, when was the last time we were realistically fighting on three fronts in January? 

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Who the fuck said that? [emoji38]

To be fair quite a few did. I was one of them because I didn’t see the need to replace Dubs as a priority.

Boy was I wrong :lol:

Edited by LV

The reality is that our reserve team were not match fit and were well off the pace of the game. We all know they are not Prem league standard otherwise we would see them week in week out.

I feel that Lewis was trying to be oversafe in everything he did and Anderson just couldn’t get going and seemed a yard off the pace, he deffo needs to go out on loan.

No excuses for Chris or Murphy, they have to play better than that…

I thought our standout players were Big Jow and Botman.

Subs made a difference but just too late

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I assume that those advocating for a strong side aren't too arsed about the League Cup quarter final or being fresh for Fulham? You need to rotate at some stage

Absolutely. It’s not Eddie’s fault there isn’t any depth. 

21 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Well that was actually horrific. Some genuinely terrible individual performances, particularly Lewis & Wood.

The 2nd string is a mile off the 1st XI and this has exposed that massively - best time for it I suppose going into January, shows the owners the need for further investment despite our league position.

However, this won't be popular but it's a hill I'll die on - none of our players are cunts, none of them deserve abuse. That famous banner said we demand a club and team that tries and we've got that - doesn't mean they're all up to the quality we need going forward.

Bravo!

A man who makes perfect sense.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

We’re flying high in the league with a paper thin squad, play a high energy game, going for the big European places and are still in another cup competition.

How many games do you expect our first eleven to play?

Enough where nearly our entire team doesn't need to be rested that's for sure. 

Positives is that, even though most are shite, got some game time which lets face it when you have a squad they need, that and hopefully it reinforces the desperate need to bin most of them and bring in some quality players to replace them, even as squad players. Wanna be a big team, a big boy, win things? You can’t be starting half that shite even in a cup game against L1 level opposition. Fuck FFP, Chelsea and Man Utd seem to have done and of course PSG, City and Barcelona just to name a few clubs. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Deserve it for supporting their team give over man. That line up was a piss take if you disagree that's up to you. 

A line-up with Sven Botman, Alexander Isak, & Joelinton against L1 is hardly a piss take :lol: Not to mention finishing with Bruno, Willock, Trippier and Almiron all on the field as well.

The game didn't go the way we wanted but it's not like we didn't fucking try to win it - the way some of you are going on it's like you think Howe threw it.

Guest reefatoon

Not sure what some people saw in Longstaff’s performance mind. Thought he was piss poor. Our midfield was a mess.

Edited by reefatoon

2 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

There has to be some serious reaction to a defeat like this to show what sort of club we are trying to be, this game was the sort we used to see under Ashley and Bruce and expect the same to happen this year, it cannot be allowed to just pass.

Who’s this daft cunt? Piss poor bait. 

Was frustrating to watch - both the game and how glaringly poor some of the players are.

But already over it.

We had to play a weakened team. This match was meaningless compared to Leicester. And we all know how poor the fringe players are (well Lewis actually reminded us, the others are well known)

Cambridge but with TWO far bigger fish to fry.

Also thanks to the powers that be for demeaning the cup, really helps at times like this.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, King HTT III said:

Positives is that, even though most are shite, got some game time which lets face it when you have a squad they need, that and hopefully it reinforces the desperate need to bin most of them and bring in some quality players to replace them, even as squad players. Wanna be a big team, a big boy, win things? You can’t be starting half that shite even in a cup game against L1 level opposition. Fuck FFP, Chelsea and Man Utd seem to have done and of course PSG, City and Barcelona just to name a few clubs. 

The FFP one is odd, and it does come from the club a lot.  We shouldn’t yet be in the sort of danger of punishment that the club bangs on about 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You know what - I live in Leicester and a lot of people said to me “you Geordies will turn on Howe the first time he gets something wrong” and I laughed at them then I read some comments on here.

Defeats happen in football, he had to rest some players - took a gamble and it didn’t work, learn from it, grow and move on but phrases like “piss take”, “embrarrasing” and others on here is pathetic in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

A line-up with Sven Botman, Alexander Isak, & Joelinton against L1 is hardly a piss take :lol: Not to mention finishing with Bruno, Willock, Trippier and Almiron all on the field as well.

The game didn't go the way we wanted but it's not like we didn't fucking try to win it - the way some of you are going on it's like you think Howe threw it.

The voice of reason

5 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

There has to be some serious reaction to a defeat like this to show what sort of club we are trying to be, this game was the sort we used to see under Ashley and Bruce and expect the same to happen this year, it cannot be allowed to just pass.

Weird post.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

So three players out of 11 whilst playing 8 others who have hardly played together. instead of having to bring players on to try and rescue the game, maybe you bring those players off after the game is won. As I said if you're happy with today that's your choice, I'm certainly not and I warned the exact thing would happen a couple of days ago. 

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

You know what - I live in Leicester and a lot of people said to me “you Geordies will turn on Howe the first time he gets something wrong” and I laughed at them then I read some comments on here.

Defeats happen in football, he had to rest some players - took a gamble and it didn’t work, learn from it, grow and move on but phrases like “piss take”, “embrarrasing” and others on here is pathetic in my opinion.

Who’s turned on Howe?  Haven’t seen a single comment suggesting that anyone has.

Any NUFC manager should be open to criticism for losing to third tier opposition in the FA Cup.  That’s hardly the same as calling for his head.  Is not a single word of criticism allowed?