Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

Just now, LiquidAK said:

Well that was actually horrific. Some genuinely terrible individual performances, particularly Lewis & Wood.

The 2nd string is a mile off the 1st XI and this has exposed that massively - best time for it I suppose going into January, shows the owners the need for further investment despite our league position.

However, this won't be popular but it's a hill I'll die on - none of our players are cunts, none of them deserve abuse. That famous banner said we demand a club and team that tries and we've got that - doesn't mean they're all up to the quality we need going forward.

I agree with this, even the shit ones are honest pros however replacements are required to move on, TBF I think the January window is not yhe best to get players and bed them in but it's obvious we need better quality 

I'll maintain that I think the team that started today is good enough to beat Sheffield Wednesday. It also made sense to rest players ahead of the quarter final against Leicester.

Felt like we were in control all game with the exception of an offside goal and one turn that undressed both Anderson and Longstaff. We definitely had the chances to win.

Shit to lose ofc, but as per usual it is defcon 1 on here any time things don't go smooth as butter. People should probably think twice before posting on here in the heat of the moment. Comes off as incredibly petulant/childish/entitled.

It happens. It’ll feel worse if we don’t beat Leicester. 

There’s a few of those players behind the first 11 that aren’t good enough but we knew that. I didn’t expect them to be mugged off by a League 1 players though. To maintain a European push we need another centre mid because Anderson needs games elsewhere. 

There’s VAR haters out there but going back to shit goals like that every week I couldn’t stomach. Theirs and our goal was so far offside it was pathetic. 

Good luck to Moore though, always liked him. 

Our whole game was off tonight. Short passing was shit and barely reached the intended player half the time. Lots of standing around by players doing nothing. Too much passing back and playing along the back four like Bruce was back in charge. Lewis should be charged with impersonating a footballer. Shit team selection. Bad experience all round. 

Not sure what to say... But this is the REAL Newcastle.

Hereford, Luton, Brentford.. Christ I can even remember us struggling to get draws at Non league teams the year we got to the finals in the 90s.

And for balance if Bruce had played this team under Ashley we would have been screaming from the roof tops to get them both out.

Just pray we get through the Leicester game and then start to improve our squad depth 

Just now, andyc35i said:

I actually didn’t think we played that badly and on another day we get four or five given the chances created 

We've just been beated by a league one team man, for the most part we were pathetic.

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

none of our players are cunts, none of them deserve abuse

Spot on. As frustrating as it is watching us go out against lower league opposition, it's not like we didn't try. Just so wasteful today, and indeed a lot of players not good enough.

So that’s just 2 wins in our last 17 third-round FA cup games (excluding replays).

Obviously the issue well precedes Howe and PIF, but there’s a fundamental lack of character with Newcastle in this competition.

The players on that pitch should be more than capable of winning this match against League One opposition.

It’s hugely disappointing and embarrassing yet again for another year.

Going to try a reasoned take. 

The right score was 1-1; their first goal was offside. With that said, they deserved the win. We failed to do so many basic things right, especially passing and finishing. Wood’s miss was unacceptable, there is no way around that. What frustrates me is that they didn’t actually have to play that well to win. 

The Leeds game and this game reveal how ahead of the game we are - we were naive again, panicked when they scored. 

Aside from Manquillo and in part Ritchie, none of the reserves did themselves any favours. I just don’t understand what anybody in football sees in Jacob Murphy. I can get past playing poorly, but today he was cowardly. Bullied about, shrunk, head down. I’d really like to see a spell on the sidelines for him now. 

Going out to L1 opposition twice in succession is really embarrassing, and it hurts tbh. We just don’t need that degree of embarrassment right now with how well this season is going. I hope Howe is tearing into them, but I also hope he learns that he shouldn’t use real football matches as a training exercise and an experiment. Changing 4 of the back 5 wasn’t a good call, and no reason not to play Pope in my view; goalkeeping can’t be that exerting. 

Full credit to Sheff Wed for putting the ball in our net. 

We gave it a go, but not to be. Some resolute defending from them, more credit for that, but also some godawful finishing from our players who aren't good enough for where we are now.

Slight echoes of Cambridge, so Eddie hasn't quite slain all our demons.

Hands up everyone who wants to see the back of Maxi now.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Stop.  Playing.  Reserves.  In.  The.  FA.  Cup.

Sick and bastard tired of going out to third and fourth tier sides.  No respect shown and we got what we deserved.

I’ll be happy when some of these players are permanently shipped out and I don’t need to worry about them coming off the bench.  Murphy, Lewis, Manquillo, Lascelles etc simply aren’t good enough.  And my patience in watching Wood’s snatching of chances - the lad might as well play blindfolded - has now run completely dry.

One positive was Isak returning.

Onward and upward - this is still an incredible season. I just get really hacked off when the tournament our club is built on is sacked off. 

I take your point but we also have a league cup quarter final coming up...that we got to by playing our strongest team.

You can’t play your strongest team and complete on 3 fronts in the space of a week. It's just not possible 

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

Rafa's poor signings cost us that game imo

The 3rd and 4th choice signings Ashley allowed Rafa to buy cost us the game.

So really this loss is Mike Ashley's fault.

I am genuinely devastated. 
My lad shit himself when wood missed. I went full potato. Bless him.

No excuses. As I said about European spot next season. We don’t have a chance with that shambolic lot who sit on the bench.

Wood is a waste of legs in football boots. Bet he doesn’t finish his dinner.