Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

11 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Didn't work tonight is right but its not just to be judged on tonight. If we beat Leicester then its fully justified.

Like I said, we are all entitled to our opinions. 

Still boiling about the lack of VAR because we were at a lower league ground, if that game had been at St James their first goal never would've stood.

It's bollocks that VAR gets used in some games but not others, either everyone should have it or no one.  

Just now, Bizza said:

Still boiling about the lack of VAR because we were at a lower league ground, if that game had been at St James their first goal never would've stood.

It's bollocks that VAR gets used in some games but not others, either everyone should have it or no one.  

If VAR was in play our goal wouldn't have stood

7 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

So glad we have a game on Tuesday to get this out of our system. Huge next 2 games for us tbh, as without being melodramatic, they could make or break (if they go badly…) our season. 

That game on Tuesday is hardly one to get this one out of our system. It's actually the reason why we are out of probably a bigger cup competition. :lol:

There's even more pressure to win that one now, but these are the decisions you have to make, and it's a juggling act.

Our squad is so awful man. We're going to have some absolutely stinking results at points this season.

We would all love to start challenging for things and having cup runs, but that can wait another year. We're doing too well in the league and securing a European place this season has to be the priority right now. That is going to open up a lot more opportunities in the transfer market over the summer for us to really then have a better go of things next season.

Edited by KaKa

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

That game on Tuesday is hardly one to get this one out of our system. It's actually the reason why we are out of probably a bigger cup competition. :lol:

There's even more pressure to win that one now, but these are the decisions you have to make, and it's a juggling act.

This. The gamble didn't pay off tonight 

One thing which might be getting overlooked as well, Sheff W were a pretty impressive outfit for a third divison outfit. After the first 5 mins I'm not going to lie, I was worried. They pressured us all over the pitch, got us missing passes, then attacked with intent when they got the ball. Even more galling, their lad up front Windass, looked far more dangerous than anything we had once Isak went off.

8 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Penny for Joelinton's thoughts after another gut-busting run to put it on a tee for him

That run and then the weight of the pass couldn’t have put it more on a plate for Wood. The fact that Wood didn’t lift it just over the bar but completely skied it under zero pressure is ridiculous. He has one main job, he can’t dribble, he’s not great in the air, his movement is static, his link up play is very poor. The one thing he absolutely has to do is strike a ball well and he still fucked it up 

Just now, TRon said:

They said in the commentary box it wasn't ruled offside because it came off the keeper.

And they were wrong, it should have been given offside and would have with VAR

Just now, joeyt said:

And they were wrong, it should have been given offside and would have with VAR

Well that was my first impression as well, but I thought maybe there is some new interpretation of the offside rule which I might not be up to date with.

21 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not really. We were chronically weak in front of goal when Wilson was missing prior to this season. Almiron's burst of goals has masked a lot of history. Even last season signing Trippier with his dead ball contributions gave us a massive boost in that department. We don't really have that many natural goal scorers in the side, although hopefully Isak returning to fitness will change that.

I’d argue that Isak isn’t a natural goalscorer. His stats don’t say that anyway. 1 in 4 at best. Can’t wait for Wilson to get back.

Just now, BennyBlanco said:

I’d argue that Isak isn’t a natural goalscorer. His stats don’t say that anyway. 1 in 4 at best. Can’t wait for Wilson to get back.

He hasn’t been in his career to date.  He’s a very talented player, but you wouldn’t be relying on him scoring loads of goals.