Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

Some over reaction about the performances of some of the players. If you drop must of them into the first 11 they’ll do ok.  Making 8 changes in one go, when most of those players have barely played this season is going to have a negative impact on the team performance, you don’t have any of the little partnerships or relationships on the pitch.

Newcastle dominated the game, and if not for some poor finishing would have been easy winners.

Lewis needs to go out on loan, the lack of game time for the younger squad players is hurting some of them. It’s a problem, with a good squad, rotation gets most of the squad enough game time. Our fringe players come in without enough game time and it’s little wonder they struggle. 

The older fringe players who are reluctant to go on loan and get game time need moving on in a controlled, managed, way. 

None of them deserve abuse, Howe will know what is needed and who needs moving on.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Longstaff started too fwiw

And yes, I was and am happy with the line-up - obviously not the result or performance but there's a pretty simple to make distinction there. If Isak had scored and we went on to a comfortable 2-0 win no-one would be questioning the line-up. It's so easy after the game has played out negatively to go back and say the line-up was a piss-take

Yeah I said there were 8 changes and there were so Longstaff was not one of those changes. You were happy, I think it was a oiss take. You're entitled to your opinion of course. 

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I've thought about the thought process behind this singing more than I should have but I always settle on given all things, it was probably the best signing we could make at the time. £25m doesnt get you much and we could have spent all month trying to get someone in and failing. I think when we found out we could get Wood tomorrow and this is the fee we just went "Yep, do it". Aye it's mad money for what we've got but it absolutely contributed to keeping us up there's o denying that imo. I can live with that.

The persistence is a symptom of that decision. I mean he's had no choice. If we'd have bought someone else instead of Wood we'd have had to persist with them too given Isak and Wilson's injuries. 

All just very indicative of where we still are and where we were not so long ago. There's going to be things like this for a couple of years. Just over a year ago we had fuck all.

This is absolutely the crux of it.

No more needs to be said about why we bought Wood. It’s absolutely been done to death and it was just pure expediency. It had to be done, there was no other option in the timeframe we had. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Yeah I said there were 8 changes and there were so Longstaff was not one of those changes. You were happy, I think it was a oiss take. You're entitled to your opinion of course. 

Let's say we went with a line up you were happy with and as a result had to play a changed side for the league cup quarter final or Fulham, then lost those, would that be a piss take?

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I've thought about the thought process behind this singing more than I should have but I always settle on given all things, it was probably the best signing we could make at the time. £25m doesnt get you much and we could have spent all month trying to get someone in and failing. I think when we found out we could get Wood tomorrow and this is the fee we just went "Yep, do it". Aye it's mad money for what we've got but it absolutely contributed to keeping us up there's o denying that imo. I can live with that.

The persistence is a symptom of that decision. I mean he's had no choice. If we'd have bought someone else instead of Wood we'd have had to persist with them too given Isak and Wilson's injuries. 

All just very indicative of where we still are and where we were not so long ago. There's going to be things like this for a couple of years. Just over a year ago we had fuck all.

I think back to Wolves away. We looked far, far better after taking him off and playing no recognised striker. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Let's say we went with a line up you were happy with and as a result had to play a changed side for the league cup quarter final or Fulham, then lost those, would that be a piss take?

Let's say we won all three and are still in all competitions. 

Let's say we won all three and are still in all competitions. 

So winning decides whether it's a piss take or not? We don't have the players to go full strength in 3 matches in a week. Until we have the depth Man City do, nothing's a cert 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

So winning decides whether it's a piss take or not? We don't have the players to go full strength in 3 matches in a week. Until we have the depth Man City do, nothing's a cert 

If you put stupid scenarios then I'll give you one back. 

If you put stupid scenarios then I'll give you one back. 

:lol: It's not a stupid scenario mate, it's basic rotation and our reality. I'm asking if we'd gone full strength tonight instead of our upcoming 2 matches, whether you'd think that was a piss take. I'm not trying to trick you or owt 

Under normal circumstances I might agree re the three games in a week being a struggle for this side - but didn’t most of them just have a six week break?

I’d have been ok with resting the WC lads for this one - but I’m unconvinced that fit athletes need another break so soon after an extended one.

The result doesn’t take away anything from the rest of the season - Howe and the players have been magnificent- but as with all FA Cup exits (particularly upsets) this one does sting.  

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: It's not a stupid scenario mate, it's basic rotation and our reality. I'm asking if we'd gone full strength tonight instead of our upcoming 2 matches, whether you'd think that was a piss take. I'm not trying to trick you or owt 

Basic rotation is not changing nearly a full team who have not played together (or very little). Wasn't expecting full strength I was expecting a couple of changes, with players being brought off in the second half. If you change just about a whole team your leaving yourself open to what happened. You're not going to change my mind, I thought it was a oiss take if you don't that's your opinion. 

Edited by et tu brute

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If it was football would be boring 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Basic rotation is not changing nearly a full team who have not played together (or very little). Wasn't expecting full strength I was expecting a couple of changes, with players being brought off in the second half. If you change just about a whole team your leaving yourself open to what happened. You're not going to change my mind, I thought it was a oiss take if you don't that's your opinion. 

Nee worries, I'll not bother :lol:

17 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I think back to Wolves away. We looked far, far better after taking him off and playing no recognised striker. 

Dont remember that change, but aye, I'm sure that could still well be the case at times now too. But I think over a longer stretch of time, what Wood gave to us as a team and how him doing that allowed us to play a certain way would give us more than not having him and playing the games he would have with no recognised striker. Especially with Maxi's sporadic nature (fitness and performance). 

We've had bad luck as well with Isak. If he didnt get injured we wouldnt be having this conversation, which would have been nice.

Some of the stuff being posted is insane, showing no respect to the fans ffs.

Eddie had the right idea, if he had played an unchanged team we would've been fucked for Tuesday and that would've hurt more.

Our team isn't young, he needs to rotate and keeps fresh legs. We have 4 games in 14 days.

Just now, Menace said:

Some of the stuff being posted is insane, showing no respect to the fans ffs.

Eddie had the right idea, if he had played an unchanged team we would've been fucked for Tuesday and that would've hurt more.

Our team isn't young, he needs to rotate and keeps fresh legs. We have 4 games in 14 days.

I was always worried aboot dubs, Lewis and Ritchie.  Ritchie seemed OK. 

Wednesday played very fuckin well and I'm not about to complain about it too much.  Shit that we're out but I've really got no complaints. 

Apart from Murphy and Wood, I'll always complain about them. 

Just now, Wolfcastle said:

I'm a fan and I'd have made a raft of changes today and probably wouldn't have risked Isak.  Was actually surprised Botman and Joelinton played.

Exactly Howe did the right thing completely, was just let down by some players who are clearly worse than I even realised tonight.

howe not to blame.

the team created enough clear chances to score.

on another day the linesman keeps up with play and flags and we take one of the chances we've missed.

we always had a better chance of reaching the league cup final than this one.

most of our better players will be fresh for leicester.