Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, nufcjb said:

Clean sheet record - gone

Unbeaten record - gone

Botman's unbeaten record - gone

3 games witbout a win. Need to stop that on Tuesday.

Botmans league record still stands 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Stop.  Playing.  Reserves.  In.  The.  FA.  Cup.

Sick and bastard tired of going out to third and fourth tier sides.  No respect shown and we got what we deserved.

I’ll be happy when some of these players are permanently shipped out and I don’t need to worry about them coming off the bench.  Murphy, Lewis, Manquillo, Lascelles etc simply aren’t good enough.  And my patience in watching Wood’s snatching of chances - the fucker might as well play blindfolded - has now run completely dry.

One positive was Isak returning.

Onward and upward - this is still an incredible season. I just get really hacked off when the tournament our club is built on is sacked off. 

It was totally obvious this would happen with that many changes. I'm really pissed off with that starting lineup today. That took the piss out of 4500 fans paying good money today. 

In past seasons I'd be absolutely fucking raging at that.  Not just at the manner of the result, but it was par for the course under that regime and indicative of the club as a whole. 

This one still grates but no doubt in my mind Howe will be bothered by that and the likes of Bruno will be. There's going to be bumps in the road and we have to take it on the chin. Hopefully with some dignity. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I take your point but we also have a league cup quarter final coming up...that we got to by playing our strongest team.

You can’t play your strongest team and complete on 3 fronts in the space of a week. It's just not possible 

I agree, but that was too many changes and changes which seemed more scattergun than you’d normally see from Howe.  

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No respect shown and we got what we deserved.

Yet we 'disrespected' the League Cup against Tranmere and Palace and still progressed.

All managers rotate; sometimes your fringe players do enough, sometimes they don't. 

Theres a huge Gulf between our expected first team and anyone outside of it, at best the likes of Murphy, Lascelles, Wood, Lewis etc. are League One or championship standard at best.

Until they're replaced we're fucked when relying on them.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Stop.  Playing.  Reserves.  In.  The.  FA.  Cup.

Sick and bastard tired of going out to third and fourth tier sides.  No respect shown and we got what we deserved.

I’ll be happy when some of these players are permanently shipped out and I don’t need to worry about them coming off the bench.  Murphy, Lewis, Manquillo, Lascelles etc simply aren’t good enough.  And my patience in watching Wood’s snatching of chances - the lad might as well play blindfolded - has now run completely dry.

One positive was Isak returning.

Onward and upward - this is still an incredible season. I just get really hacked off when the tournament our club is built on is sacked off. 

I would usually agree with you, but we’ve got a cup quarter final in three days time and we’re in a battle for CL qualification.

I want to see us try to win everything, but tonight demonstrated the paucity of options we have beyond our first XI - particularly in midfield. We can’t run the same players into the ground. If we lose one or two of them we’re going to struggle.

Manquillo was our best player tonight, so you can give that head a shake too.

It is what it is. Sometimes these games just happen. The starting 11 was good enough to win that game, but there was a few too many poor performances and an offside goal. What can you do.

We have a tremendous opportunity coming up on Tuesday so today’s team selection was right, but it’s just highlighted what we already know… that the squad is not strong enough to compete on multiple fronts.

I see a few in here can't control their emotions.

We lost because;

1. Howe started a few squad players, which he HAD to otherwise we would have suffered in the league Cup.

2. Poor finishing.

3. An offside decision.

Just now, nufcjb said:

I have no doubt we would have played our best team today had we not have a home quarter final league cup match in 3 days time. Hopefully, there is a silver lining to this defeat.

You know what will happen, we'll beat Leicester then get City in the semis........

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Yet we 'disrespected' the League Cup against Tranmere and Palace and still progressed.

All managers rotate; sometimes your fringe players do enough, sometimes they don't. 

The FA Cup means far, far more though.  I’m annoyed rather than angry - and Howe has done a superb job and I wouldn’t want anyone else at the club - but I will still criticise starting line-ups like that one.  The result felt inevitable from kick off to me. 

Just now, STM said:

I see a few in here can't control their emotions.

We lost because;

1. Howe started a few squad players, which he HAD to otherwise we would have suffered in the league Cup.

2. Poor finishing.

3. An offside decision.

Our goal was offside as well 

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It was totally obvious this would happen with that many changes. I'm really pissed off with that starting lineup today. That took the piss out of 4500 fans paying good money today. 

Get a grip. The starting 11 was absolutely fine, barring Lewis. 

1 minute ago, christ said:

I would usually agree with you, but we’ve got a cup quarter final in three days time and we’re in a battle for CL qualification.

I want to see us try to win everything, but tonight demonstrated the paucity of options we have beyond our first XI - particularly in midfield. We can’t run the same players into the ground. If we lose one or two of them we’re going to struggle.

Manquillo was our best player tonight, so you can give that head a shake too.

Aye, fair enough

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Anyone travelling daft enough to expect anything other than a significantly altered line-up probably deserves to have the piss taken out of them. Besides, the travelling support have been treated fairly okay this season with 5 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Anyone travelling daft enough to expect anything other than a significantly altered line-up probably deserves to have the piss taken out of them. Besides, the travelling support have been treated fairly okay this season with 5 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats. 

Ooof - not sure about that one, Yorkie

That’s football. 

We’re still 3rd in the PL

Our first team is mint. Our depth less so. We’re a year in to this new era and Howe has already worked miracles.

I’m chill about this. There’ll be another FA cup next year. And the year after. 

We try now. We compete. We are moving forward and progress is never linear.