Anthony Gordon

Jack27

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Confidence should not make you look lazy though as he has been in some moments. If anything he could at least give 110% and I have not seen that. 

Not too sure about that, tbh. I can see how that would be the case in a lot of players. 

Leon Bailey for us is like that. Although Tbf, he is poor. 

1 minute ago, brummie said:

I haven’t seen much of him so don’t feel qualified to say if he’s worth the money or not, but I would suspect that coming from a team which has been so shit for so long, at which you’ve spent your whole career, it is going to take a while to “wash that off” and be in a position to start delivering your best. Imagine what playing for Everton does to your confidence. 

I’d suggest giving him a pass for this season and seeing what he does next year. 

Of course, that’s easy for me to say with it not being my club.

Good points and I agree. Hopefully you are right. I just wanted us to go for someone that could actually be a safer bet for the money and help us this season already. Considering how weak we are out wide.

Just an example but I don’t know if it would have been doable, but someone like Nico Williams could have been bought for the same money. More proven and two years younger with a higher ceiling potentially. Has already shown that he has end product too. He isn’t very strong defensively and perhaps a bit lazy at times. Work rate is easier to improve than real natural talent though. I’m sure there is a lot of other options from abroad for the money. PL experience is one thing too I know, but a bit blown out of proportions at times too.

I think part of the criticism of Gordon isn't actually about him, it's about the January transfer window in general. So, it's unfair to lay it all on him.

We all wanted reinforcements in certain areas. Selling Wood and Shelvey left us exposed up front and in midfield. No-one would argue with those deals on their own AT ALL.

But, for Wood, it left us exposed to another injury to Wilson without having a replacement. I'm pretty sure taking him off at 2-1 yesterday was to protect him for future games, making it obvious that's one place we had needed to strengthen.

Likewise, an injury to Bruno would've put us right up the creek. Shelvey, for all his faults, could at least come in and cover for a game or two under Howe. So, we were running a risk in a couple of key positions. And now Bruno seems to be carrying a knock and not able to play like he has been, so we probably could have done with Shelvey for a game or two (as much as I dislike him).

Instead of which, we seemed to chase Gordon for all that window, who was neither and for a role that I couldn't really define. I still don't really know what his role is yet, though I understand he needs time, patience and proper coaching.

However, and this isn't on him either, on top of that I don't know why he has been brought on or started in certain key games. The sub yesterday was a mistake - he doesn't seem to know how to press in a game we just needed to close down and where people were already losing their heads.

As for him, he's at least more two footed than Almiron, much like any biped, but he doesn't seem to know what he's doing. He so far can't seemingly dribble, tackle, or make the right decisions and then acted a bit petulantly with his substitution a few games back.

Yes, he may well become a mainstay in the side in the future.

But I think the frustration towards him is that in January he wasn't what we needed. Now, maybe that's because they weren't available or perhaps because I just don't know what he is. And then, of course, being thrown into certain games before he seems to know how to fit into the team makes him a bit of a lightning rod for criticism, even though neither of things are his fault.

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

Confidence should not make you look lazy though as he has been in some moments. If anything he could at least give 110% and I have not seen that. 

That is exactly what a lack of confidence can do to a person.

A couple inches here and there and he'd have already had a couple goals to his name, which all of a sudden would look like a great return from his limited game time. 

24 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

That is exactly what a lack of confidence can do to a person.

A couple inches here and there and he'd have already had a couple goals to his name, which all of a sudden would look like a great return from his limited game time. 

I know it can affect some players. However if this is the case with Gordon then I would have to question our judgement on character and failing to know about his mentality and the weakness he seem to have regarding this. Low on confidence I can accept in a signing, however the lack of effort I have seen in quite a few situations with him simply isn’t good enough. Some might try and brush it under the carpet but not me. If there is ONE thing he has to do then it’s giving his all in every situation and then there is at least a much better chance of things turning out for the better. I’m talking about “off the ball now”. On the ball confidence is a massive reason if you look quicker regarding everything, both decision wise and physically. If not confident you hesitate and do everything much slower. Off the ball, nah, shouldn’t look lazy.

I’ve got no agenda against him, not sure why people say that if you don’t happen to think a player is good. I wasn’t a fan of him at Everton, and so far he’s looked the same player. Tons of pace, without football IQ. I think 40m was a huge overpay for him. 

Joelinton. £40 million. Kicked the ball into his own face.

Personally I think Howe has told him to play it safe with the ball for now while he's not fully bedded into the playstyle/on the wave length of others.

Good pre-season and I genuinely believe there's going to be many opinions changed, after EH has refined his game and focussed on his strengths. Probably not the easiest thing to do whilst the season is ongoing.

2 hours ago, Abacus said:

I think part of the criticism of Gordon isn't actually about him, it's about the January transfer window in general. So, it's unfair to lay it all on him.

We all wanted reinforcements in certain areas. Selling Wood and Shelvey left us exposed up front and in midfield. No-one would argue with those deals on their own AT ALL.

But, for Wood, it left us exposed to another injury to Wilson without having a replacement. I'm pretty sure taking him off at 2-1 yesterday was to protect him for future games, making it obvious that's one place we had needed to strengthen.

Likewise, an injury to Bruno would've put us right up the creek. Shelvey, for all his faults, could at least come in and cover for a game or two under Howe. So, we were running a risk in a couple of key positions. And now Bruno seems to be carrying a knock and not able to play like he has been, so we probably could have done with Shelvey for a game or two (as much as I dislike him).

Instead of which, we seemed to chase Gordon for all that window, who was neither and for a role that I couldn't really define. I still don't really know what his role is yet, though I understand he needs time, patience and proper coaching.

However, and this isn't on him either, on top of that I don't know why he has been brought on or started in certain key games. The sub yesterday was a mistake - he doesn't seem to know how to press in a game we just needed to close down and where people were already losing their heads.

As for him, he's at least more two footed than Almiron, much like any biped, but he doesn't seem to know what he's doing. He so far can't seemingly dribble, tackle, or make the right decisions and then acted a bit petulantly with his substitution a few games back.

Yes, he may well become a mainstay in the side in the future.

But I think the frustration towards him is that in January he wasn't what we needed. Now, maybe that's because they weren't available or perhaps because I just don't know what he is. And then, of course, being thrown into certain games before he seems to know how to fit into the team makes him a bit of a lightning rod for criticism, even though neither of things are his fault.

Great post 👍🏻

Not exactly sure what Gordon has done wrong in the limited amount of game time he’s had TBH. He’s been ok on the pitch with the minor show of petulance the only black mark since he joined.

What am I missing?

Edited by LFEE

I've never seen it with Gordon like. Somebody like Callum Mcmanaman showed more than he has at this level. Didn't want us to go near him for the fees reported last summer.

In January I convinced myself to trust the club, as he is clearly liked by both Ashworth/Howe, and seen to have promise within the England set up. 

However so far he has remained a disappointment. Apart from one cameo when he made his debut off the bench and looked 'sharp' I've not seen anything from him. Definitely disappointing all-round.

21 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Joelinton. £40 million. Kicked the ball into his own face.

Personally I think Howe has told him to play it safe with the ball for now while he's not fully bedded into the playstyle/on the wave length of others.

Good pre-season and I genuinely believe there's going to be many opinions changed, after EH has refined his game and focussed on his strengths. Probably not the easiest thing to do whilst the season is ongoing.

Next to no chance Howe, or any manager really is going to do that with a winger. He’s not gonna send an attacking player out in games with that mentality. 

Just now, ponsaelius said:

I've never seen it with Gordon like. Somebody like Callum Mcmanaman showed more than he has at this level. Didn't want us to go near him for the fees reported last summer.

In January I convinced myself to trust the club, as he is clearly liked by both Ashworth/Howe, and seen to have promise within the England set up. 

However so far he has remained a disappointment. Apart from one cameo when he made his debut off the bench and looked 'sharp' I've not seen anything from him. Definitely disappointing all-round.

There usually is a player like that, very pacey and direct that gets a lot of hype until teams figure them out, happened the exact same way with Callum McManaman. 

I never rated Mcmanaman either despite him getting some hype. However he was undoubtedly instrumental in winning the FA Cup for Wigan. Gordon hasn't really done anything at this level to justify the fee we paid.

Edited by ponsaelius

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

:lol: I almost compared him to early James McClean but thought better of it. 

I didn't want us to buy him for the fee that we did as I've never rated him. Still don't really. Not singling him out for yesterday in the slightest though.

Also loath to judge him fully in a NUFC shirt until he's had a full pre season with us under his belt. Got age on his side and with Europe next season he'll play a big part in the squad.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

The most worrying thing for me is his football IQ.  And I think a lot of that is down to a lack of experience.  

Gordon is older than Saka. Saka has 2x the amount of appearances in the men’s game. And I suspect closer to 3x the minutes. Gordon doesn’t have the experience you would expect of a 40m 22-year winger.  He doesn’t know how to press at this level.  Apart from a nice 1-2, he doesn’t have any signature moves at this level. 

If we qualify for the CL. I would not be averse to sending him out on loan as crazy as that sounds. He needs the minutes.