Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Was great to see that bite he was famed for at Everton (high speed press and forceful tackle) return tonight. Absolutely lifted the crowd just when it was needed. Don’t want us to take that edge out of him. He starting to feel at home at SJP after some very good away performances.

16 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

He really does need some rest at some point or he’s going to hit a wall in the spring. But we may just need to lean on him for a bit here given the injuries.

one more yellow and he gets his rest.

think it might be the same for bruno, or is it just 5 [remier league yellows?

9 hours ago, LFEE said:

Was great to see that bite he was famed for at Everton (high speed press and forceful tackle) return tonight. Absolutely lifted the crowd just when it was needed. Don’t want us to take that edge out of him. He starting to feel at home at SJP after some very good away performances.

Sometimes it’s a simple game. Never underestimate a single great tackle at SJP and the effect it has on a game…

https://Twitter.com/j_lke3/status/1707274903865507975?s=46&t=DDNXUN2PoOBhgKmoF77zNw

I think most scepticism around him joining last January was more to do with us seemingly weak in other positions, notably left back, and us relatively stacked where he would be playing. I was supportive of the player when he joined and wanted him to do well, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that we hadn't gone out and signed a 40m left back instead. Discussions around budgets and FFP were absolutely rife and no-one really knew if we had any more money to spend, and if we did, it should go to filling the biggest holes in the team.

Gordon signed when Almiron, Murphy, Maxi, Joelinton were on the wings with an argument at the time for Isak playing wide and possibly Anderson breaking into the team on the flanks rather than in the middle of the pitch.

To me, Gordon signing didn't seem to make sense at the time, regardless of his undoubted potential. I also think it's fair to say that none of us believed he had the quality when he joined to instantly displace Maxi or Almiron (who'd just come off an insane purple patch) and Maxi was still living off that City performance.

As we've now had another transfer window under belts, it's become abundantly clear that the club are creating a foundation to build a team from for the future, not just now, with the signings of Hall and Livramento. In hindsight, the Gordon signing makes a lot of sense. Players of a certain mindset, age and potential. Whilst most of us loved Maxi, he was never going to last long in Howe's Newcastle Utd, he's just not that type of player. I was so used to the club's approach of sell-before-we-buy that I hadn't even considered they'd be looking to sell someone on already at the club to make room for him after Gordon joined.

Also, I think his move to us has made him as a player, I don't see him getting player of the tournament with the U21s if he was still with Everton. This club - from Stavely to Howe, the coaches and to the support he's received from the fans of the club has brought him on to a whole new level. 

After years, decades of mis-management and at best a scatter-gun approach to squad-building which wasn't exclusive to just Ashley's reign, it's quite disconcerting to slowly realise that the people running our club actually know what they're doing and they might be better at it than us fans. Part of my identity as a Newcastle fan has centred around following a club that sort of bumbled about as best it could, to one that resembled an Outlet-store masquerading as a football club. It's hard to start trusting something you've spent the best part of 30 years in my case distrusting. I guess I feel like one of them chimps kept in a cage for 30 years in a laboratory who finally gets released to a place where they can see the sky for the first time.

I hate talking about players wealth etc - basically good on them if they are talented enough to succeed in an industry that can and does pay the wages - but it must be difficult for managers to motivate a young guy who is already set for life to bust a gut chasing down a tackle in what is really a third tier game in terms of competition importance.

Basically another feather in Mr Howe's cap and evidence of the quality of personality we have in the club

Probably worth watching the Amazon episode again where it shows how desperate Amanda wanted him. Love a 100% clean tackle which gets the crowd pumped up. I'm still trying to work out Pep's reaction to it. 

Love Kovacic’s reaction to the tackle, too used to seeing players roll around to try and get players into trouble or get play stopped. 

Over the moon with Gordon. I was pleased with the signing, proud that he’s now put that sour end to his time at Everton and took the challenge on to fit in with what’s required here. 

1 hour ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Love the Terminator like accent Schar said that in :lol:

Absolutely. :lol: It was a great insight into the training ground, that video. I love the way Howe sorta just owns the room in the snippet with him too.

But yeah, Schar is the man. Due a goal, mind (in the right net). He was a 1 in 10-er before last season. 

2 hours ago, HawK said:

Also, I think his move to us has made him as a player, I don't see him getting player of the tournament with the U21s if he was still with Everton. This club - from Stavely to Howe, the coaches and to the support he's received from the fans of the club has brought him on to a whole new level. 

It was the perfect time to strike in retrospect, I always go back to that game where the Everton board didn’t attend the game and him and a few other players had to deal with the aftermath, fans blocking their cars etc. I don’t blame him for never wanting to play for the club again after that , he was made the fall guy for institutional failure at 21. 

The contrast to coming here and being looked after by the entire club. There was some fan mutterings when he signed but the ovation he got when he was presented at that semi final was great. The fan support behind him has just grown and you can see he feeds of it. 

Said it before but he’s just got the look in his eye of someone desperate to achieve and excel. 

was struggling to see the way he would fit into our system, even as recently as early season, but he’s completely won me over now. his decision making seems to be getting sharper - which if he gets that 100% and with his speed/commitment- he’s going to be a top player in coming years