Anthony Gordon

Jack27

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Sterling is only 28

Gordon is almost 7 years younger though. Sterling will be out of the way over the next 3-4 years you expect. Sterling will be pushing 32 by the next World Cup. If a 25-year old Gordon isn't ahead of them by that point he's not England quality.

There's not a glut of players within 3-4 years of Gordon that are miles ahead of him. Southgate and the Euros might come too soon for him.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Sterling is only 28

Only 28, but he's had a decade of Premier League, European and International football. 2012-2013 season he made 34 apperances for Liverpool and 1 England appearance. From that moment on he's only played less than 46 games a season once, which was the 2013-2014 season. So yeah, he might be only 28 but he's played a shit ton of games at a high level since he was 17/18. He's averaged 40 games a season over 13 years at club level and 8.2 games a year for England. 

28 isn't old by no means, but I'd personally lean towards thinking he's fast approaching burn out if not already at that point. Very few players can achieve more than 10 years of successful high end Premier League production, certainly not at the levels Sterling has already achieved. In hindsight, its amazing what he has sustained and achieved. 

On 13/11/2023 at 11:55, The College Dropout said:

For me. Palmer is more my type of player so perhaps I'm biased.

He gets on the ball way more. He's a better dribbler in tight spaces and his passing is way more vertical and creative. His ability to receive the ball under pressure, quick feet into some space and play it forward, accurately, through the lines is that bit of elite class. He plays like a 10 but has physicality, some pace, pressing. He is precisely what we need on the right. You know that guile, cuteness, put his foot on the ball and make something happen. We don't have that player. He's the player we needed man - better fit for us than Szob, Maddison or Diaby like we were linked with.

I think Gordon is a different type of player altogether andcould score more goals though. I like his instincts and movement in the box. Gordon-Isak-Palmer would've been a beautiful blend of skills and ability.

EDIT: I'm not trying to denigrate Gordon. He's proved me wrong and I think he's a good player. But to me, Palmer looks a more talented footballer would be better suited to slow international football and has less competition at RW than Gordon has at LW. Again, I'm not trying to denigrate the lad but Fabio Vieira won player of tournament before Gordon ahead of Rafael Leao & Goncalo Ramos - neither of whom even started the final.

The debate we should be having is Palmer against Barnes. Roughly the same money? Would have absolutely loved to get Palmer in, I wonder what the conversations were around him - have to assume he was considered. 

3 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

The debate we should be having is Palmer against Barnes. Roughly the same money? Would have absolutely loved to get Palmer in, I wonder what the conversations were around him - have to assume he was considered. 

I hope he was considered. Chewsee would have spunked more on buying price & wages. No brainer for him.

The only reason Gordon and Palmer would be competing for a place is due to Southgate being a shit manager who tries to shoehorn players in to random positions to accommodate them, which he often gets away with due to the quality of the opposition.

Palmer should be competing with Bellingham and Maddison for an attacking midfield spot, where he isn’t near the level of either of them as yet. 

Gordon should be compared to Rashford in terms of position and whilst Rashford was excellent last season he hasn’t played well at all this year, so you can understand his frustration at being left out.

Just now, Interpolic said:

That's out of order, if he's said that. 

There was a standing ovation after the line, led by Cole Palmer who did one of those slit-your-neck gestures while mouthing the word Gordon. Grealish then bounded in and went in two footed on a cardboard cut out of Gordon to rapturous applause

This is normally brushed over but so many players are thinking of playing for other nations with him at the helm. We lost that arsenal striker balagun already if gordon Barnes tino and Anderson go to Scotland it'll be a big hit on England letting talent slip by.