Anthony Gordon: named NUFC Player of the Season (Official)

Jack27

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

I don't think he has the tools to play as a striker, definitely much better on the wing.

I think he could play as one in a Vardy role, but only if we played either counter attacking football or moved the ball extremely quickly going forward and kept sliding him in. He has the pace to lose his man behind the lines and to run through on goal. I think that’s his only major strength as a striker though 

12 hours ago, Wullie said:

He's a really frustrating player. Great at running with the ball but I never feel like he's going to create or get many chances at all from wide. 

He’s good at getting into the box for crosses. 

I thought he looked our only attacker with any ability. We are short in attacking areas though. As good as Gordon is, he’s not a creative player. 

11 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Palmer called up over him:lol:

A few scored pens and it's welcome aboard.

Fucking knew it. Big club bias. Palmer’s ok but Gordon has genuine class. His touch for one thing is up there with the best in the league. Can make something out of nothing and can escape three players with a single body feint. This is a bloody travesty. 

Edited by Astroblack

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

TBF Palmer being left-footed changes the game. And I do think Palmer looks the better talent.

But I do think if situations were reversed, we had Palmer and they had Gordon. Gordon would be capped by now.

I think Palmer’s a good player but we’ve seen the ball hoofed up to Gordon with two or three players around him, evade them all and then bring the entire team back into the game. I don’t think Palmer has that type of ability. 

Honestly I’m seething. Under 21 player of the tournament(a tournament, Cole Palmer was his teammate), open play goals, assists, holding his own as well as looking like he genuinely belongs in the Champions League, and on the eye test, Gordon is the better footballer. 

It’s not even about Gordon getting a well deserved break, it’s about the lad getting a well deserved England call up. Just messed up. 

Edited by Astroblack

For me. Palmer is more my type of player so perhaps I'm biased.

He gets on the ball way more. He's a better dribbler in tight spaces and his passing is way more vertical and creative. His ability to receive the ball under pressure, quick feet into some space and play it forward, accurately, through the lines is that bit of elite class. He plays like a 10 but has physicality, some pace, pressing. He is precisely what we need on the right. You know that guile, cuteness, put his foot on the ball and make something happen. We don't have that player. He's the player we needed man - better fit for us than Szob, Maddison or Diaby like we were linked with.

I think Gordon is a different type of player altogether andcould score more goals though. I like his instincts and movement in the box. Gordon-Isak-Palmer would've been a beautiful blend of skills and ability.

EDIT: I'm not trying to denigrate Gordon. He's proved me wrong and I think he's a good player. But to me, Palmer looks a more talented footballer would be better suited to slow international football and has less competition at RW than Gordon has at LW. Again, I'm not trying to denigrate the lad but Fabio Vieira won player of tournament before Gordon ahead of Rafael Leao & Goncalo Ramos - neither of whom even started the final.

Edited by The College Dropout

I could somewhat understand it if Southgate stays beyond Euro 24. I'd be waiting to see if he does, though. At AG's age, fighting through one more season won't hurt. Play the way he has and he'd be one of the first names on the list of youngsters a new guy will want to start bedding in.